Author Topic: Using ship guns  (Read 2932 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Using ship guns
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 06:18:08 AM »
It's a range plot in Mil for each object that corrisponds to the overlay 80Mil grey cross hair that comes up when you Ctrl_Q for Sea Mode. Place it over you target. CV, CR, DS, SB. Count the Mil width and check the table. You have your first shot within 100 yards. 100 yards is the error you will introduce by eyeballing if or if not you have lined up the yellow lead grid correctly.

The chart is part of how gunnery was calculated in WW2. We don't have wind, corriolis effect and I'm not sure spin drift is modeled into our gunnery. The ship's relative motion is though. But, then yeah, Sea Mode is a semi dumb aimbot sort of now that I disected it.

A similar chart with speeds and elevation was used in B25H to hit shipping out to 4k. The copilot read off the chart and the pilot adjusted the A1 tiltable sight head on the N-3B gunsight to the corrisponding angle adjustment between 0 and 14 degrees incidence. You can use the method I've given to create a chart and a gunsight for the B25H and hit the CV group from 4k. I have the WW2 ballistics table for the M4 75mm with plots for speeds from 200-300 in 25mph incraments that was used in the firing solution tables carried by the B25H antishipping crews. It may even be the same historic data source Hitech uses for the B25H 7mm.

It saddens me Holmes that you are faking not knowing anything I've presented since you have a rather good command of the english language and math when you want to. I admit what I didn't get all this time was I needed to toggle Sea Mode from a zeroed postion or the Mil cross hair would not line up correctly. You could have said that long before I got this far into the mechanics of the process and finally saw the light gray word Mil on the left end of the range cross hairs. I had to reverse calc against a known object with the yellow grid lined up on it to prove it to myself that the units were Mil. Hitech's choice of gray instead of cyan doesent show up well on my monitor.

At least my squad has the dope table and knows how to use it. Personaly I've always been dumb and happy with the 18Mil ring untill this exchange with you.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 06:33:43 AM »
I'm faking nothing, I only skimmed through your 1900 word treatise on naval gunnery because there didnt seem much point in trying to get my head round all of it when you can just ...

hop in a gun, traverse the guns to the enemy ship (just roughly), enable sea mode, zoom all the way in, use the rangefinder to set the range.

adjust for lead, then fire.

with respect, you are overthinking this.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 08:39:52 AM »
The only problem with Bustr's explanations is he uses big words and sometime they fly right over peoples heads.  :devil

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 10:08:13 PM »
The only problem with Bustr's explanations is he uses big words and sometime they fly right over peoples heads.  :devil
To think he does all this cipherin' with that abacus Confucius gave him.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep