Author Topic: A dogfight from my perspective  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
A dogfight from my perspective
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
I thought this would be a neat video idea to show what a fight looks like from the other guys perspective (or my perspective to be exact  :D ).

Here's a 12 minute long 2v1 fight I had in the MA last night. Recorded with Fraps and TrackIR so everything you see if exactly what I saw during the fight. Turn on Annotations to see what I was thinking during the fight as well.  ;) Or, leave them off and enjoy the fight.

Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62rGxgCAVvU

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: A dogfight from my perspective
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
I like the comments  :rofl

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
Very well done. :aok

:salute :rock

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »
Nice flying Latrobe!

Can I borrow some SA plz? Q_Q
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:18:23 PM »
Loved this Latrobe, thanks for putting it together!

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »
Nice flying Latrobe!

Can I borrow some SA plz? Q_Q

Only if you trade me some gunnery skills.  :aok

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
I really enjoyed especially since I wasn't a victim in the tube.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »
Just one tactical tip for you. After you downed the Yak the first time, you know he will come straight back for you. At an opportune moment you could have moved well away from the field and denied them the use of the Ack to solve their ACM problems. The ultra timid C.2 would have certainly tagged along under the psychological comfort of outnumbering you. Then you could have killed them both with plenty of space to work in.  :salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 05:43:47 PM »
Just one tactical tip for you. After you downed the Yak the first time, you know he will come straight back for you. At an opportune moment you could have moved well away from the field and denied them the use of the Ack to solve their ACM problems. The ultra timid C.2 would have certainly tagged along under the psychological comfort of outnumbering you. Then you could have killed them both with plenty of space to work in.  :salute

I was thinking off that, but I was down to 25% fuel. Would have had only 5 minutes of fuel to fight with had I done that. I knew I wasn't getting home, so might as well enjoy the fight.  :)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »
Great fight! Gotta love a knife in the phone booth effect.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »
Nice flying Latrobe, lost count of the number of times qbert (qpert?) ran back into his ack - looked like it was fun tho

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »
Fun to watch :)

The tracking you can do with TrackIR is incredible when compared to a hat switch.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »

The tracking you can do with TrackIR is incredible when compared to a hat switch.

Might have to git me one of them as my hat switch is starting to act up. Good an excuse as any.

Nice vid Latrobe. :aok
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Brakechk

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 12:12:41 AM »
Nice Latrobe...I like comments.   :aok 

The timidity of some folks never ceases to amaze me.  It can't possibly be an ego boost to be forced to run to ack after each pass vs just being shot down.  They would have been far better of being aggressive...or if just one of them had been aggressive.  If they die they at least learn something aside from which direction friendly ack lies.
Brakechk/Zaphod

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 12:51:04 AM »
Nice Latrobe...I like comments.   :aok 

The timidity of some folks never ceases to amaze me.  It can't possibly be an ego boost to be forced to run to ack after each pass vs just being shot down.  They would have been far better of being aggressive...or if just one of them had been aggressive.  If they die they at least learn something aside from which direction friendly ack lies.

I think about this every day I play. This video is a good example. I made several mistakes throughout the fight, one of which finally led to my death. As I sat in the tower (and watched the film later) I recognized these mistakes, learned what to do to not make them again, and that will eventually lead to me improving beyond my current skill level. So my death in this film actually improved my piloting skills.  :airplane: