Author Topic: Twin Engine  (Read 946 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Twin Engine
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »
How does a prop continue at the same speed with no firing going on? I've seen it happen and the prop still spins pretty fast for a few seconds, but the same speed?

The prop / rpm governor still functions as normal. It flattens the pitch to maintain the same RPM, unless you are very slow and the min angle of the prop is reach, the same rpm will be maintained.

HiTech

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »

With the 38 for spin recovery, I would think engine select, followed by throttle cut would create more of a thrust differential do to prop drag on the idle engine to assist the spin recover.

HiTech

If both engines are working properly it would but at least in game, if you're missing an engine and get into a spin, the quickest way to recover is to turn off the good engine, get the nose down and recover.  Works great if you get into a flat spin with only one engine.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
 :huh :huh :huh :huh Some planes have 2 engines ?  :huh :huh :huh :huh :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
The prop / rpm governor still functions as normal. It flattens the pitch to maintain the same RPM, unless you are very slow and the min angle of the prop is reach, the same rpm will be maintained.

HiTech

I figured the governor would still be at work because I'm not sure how it's actuated, electrical or hydraulic, but that shouldn't stop the engine from slowing down. There's too much internal friction and compression in the engine.

In any case, it means nothing because I'm not even sure how much of a delay there is or how significant it is compared to just throttling one engine. My guess was that throttle provided quicker recovery of thrust.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod