Author Topic: 190F8 Rockets  (Read 444 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
190F8 Rockets
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
I am pish poor with the rockets on the F8.  :cry

I use the Revi16jab sight from bustr's historic pack (for reference), And still cannot hit a stationary tank. I can't seem to figure the technique out.

I have searched the BBS but I couldn't find anything in any of my searches, if anyone has a link they favourited please post it. :D

Thanks in advance

:salute
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: 190F8 Rockets
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »
Replace one of the aircraft drones offline with a tank on the runway. Enable the dive bombsight inside of flightmodeflags in the environment section of arena setup. Up your 190 with rockets and select them. Now you will have a green cross that you can make runs at the drone tank from different angles and speeds then figure out what you are doing. I often set salvo to 2 so that at least one rocket has a chance of hitting the tank.

Practice for awhile. Even take screen shots by mapping the screen shot button to your bomb drop button. Review them and make changes to suit yourself to my gunsight or whatever gunsight works with your eyes. I find killing tanks with rockets and big gun tank buster planes is a close up and personal experience inside of 1000yds. Not a stand off and fire kind of thing.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »
 Dolby,

Several years ago Baumer made an excellent gunsight to use with the Pb1 rockets.

IIRC,it had a box that you "aimed" at the target and fired when about 3/400 yards out. Seemed to be very effective against tanks and other ground targets.

Maybe a search of Baumer and rocket sights might yield results.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Thanks gents.  :salute
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:59:24 PM »
It depends on your angle but you'll generally want to fire the F8's rockets just after the target passes out of sight under your nose.  Although one will do against most tanks I always salvo two just to be sure.  Landing six GV kills in an F8 is fun.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
I am pish poor with the rockets on the F8.  :cry

I use the Revi16jab sight from bustr's historic pack (for reference), And still cannot hit a stationary tank. I can't seem to figure the technique out.

I have searched the BBS but I couldn't find anything in any of my searches, if anyone has a link they favourited please post it. :D

Thanks in advance

Two tips:
-Hold down "Page Up" until your head is as high as it can be to get a better look over your nose. 
-.salvo 2/3/4 and .delay .15 to .20 (I personaly like it around .17).  You're learning and you have 12 of them - a marksman doesn't become a sniper in a day or even week.

They're a shaped-charge rocket with very good AP capabilties but poor HE or blast radius qualtities, "close" doesn't count but you get a good number to use, so don't be afraid to throw them out there while getting the feel for using them with better precison.  Also, even historicly the LW fired/launched them in salvos (and usualy all in one single salvo in one pass), raining them down in a shotgun-like effect while also adjust their AOA to aim the salvo at a single target or single cluster of targets.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:28:36 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.