Author Topic: Worth it?  (Read 701 times)

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
Worth it?
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:55:20 AM »
I've been a way from Ah for a while now, mostly due to my job that requires a lot of travel. Recently I've considered coming back if I can find a rig that portable enough for stays in hotels.  I looked at laptops, but the prices for laptops are more than I care to spend for one game.

I happen to stumble across an X51 Alienware PC.  So my first question is has anyone tried one? Likes/Dislikes? And second will this run AH with ease?

Processor: Intel Core i5-3450 Processor (3.1GHz, 6MB Cache with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell Alienware X51 Desktop
1 TB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
8GB, DDR3 UDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, Non-ECC (2 DIMMs)
Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
1 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:06:07 AM »
The GPU is weak. Look at this, for example: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+545 for some advice about performance and also price vs. performance.

Other than the GPU that rig should run AH with ease. If you change the GPU to a better one, the PSU won't necessarily be able to handle the extra power draw.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
I've been a way from Ah for a while now, mostly due to my job that requires a lot of travel. Recently I've considered coming back if I can find a rig that portable enough for stays in hotels.  I looked at laptops, but the prices for laptops are more than I care to spend for one game.

I happen to stumble across an X51 Alienware PC.  So my first question is has anyone tried one? Likes/Dislikes? And second will this run AH with ease?

Processor: Intel Core i5-3450 Processor (3.1GHz, 6MB Cache with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

Alienware is definately not going to be worth the money. Have your own computer built to spec instead. There are several independent computer stores that will build you a gaming box using optimal parts. One example is TilDeath who is popular on these forums - but you'll find a local provider with ease for sure.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »
As stated, you can build that system (or have it built) for WAY less than what you'll pay for the Alienware.

Also stated, that GPU would be a serious bottleneck in that configuration.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:47:24 AM »
Alienware is definately not going to be worth the money. Have your own computer built to spec instead. There are several independent computer stores that will build you a gaming box using optimal parts. One example is TilDeath who is popular on these forums - but you'll find a local provider with ease for sure.
Ditto on what MrRiplEy said!  Alienware went down the toilet after being acquired by Dell. 

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »
I built my current PC five years ago and will be building one after the new chip socket is released.    

If I was given an Alienware PC, I would turn around and sell it.   Especially since Dell screwed that Company up the moment they bought it.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:39:10 AM »
Alienware still sells solid gaming laptops with appropriate cooling. I wouldn't buy their desktops tho.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »

Many have had good experiences with TD, and more than a few have had bad experiences with TD.  I would be very careful about using him and do very good research (search his name in the state he is in and the surrounding states) on who he is before committing to giving him any money.

As I have said before, I highly regret using him to build a computer.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 04:02:38 AM »
Many have had good experiences with TD, and more than a few have had bad experiences with TD.  I would be very careful about using him and do very good research (search his name in the state he is in and the surrounding states) on who he is before committing to giving him any money.

As I have said before, I highly regret using him to build a computer.

I'm not endorsing TD in any way. I'm just pointing out the fact that there should be local small computer shops who can build a gaming computer according to the customers wishes for a marginal fee.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
MrRipley,
Never thought you were endorsing him.  I just wanted to make sure that anyone considering him was aware that there are more than a few people that are very unhappy with TD Computer Systems and the owner, TD.  I have become the most vocal of late as I want those looking for a computer to know that it is not always a pleasant experience using TD.  Sure, it has cost a few friends, but I really could care less as those pushing him have never spent the time looking into who he is and what he has done in the past, all of those things being relevant to my experience.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
If you can weild a screwdriver you can build your own computer.  There's nothing tricky about it, just do a little research on the current state-of-the-art for components.

Myself, I've used ASUS motherboards for the last 3 systems I've built, been very happy with price/performance.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »

We use Alienware X51s as demo stations for our games at trade shows but we use the one with the i7-2600 3.4GHz CPU.  So far we've used them at GDC, E3 and the PAX shows without any issues and have performed far better than the Alienware Aurora R4s we used to use as demo stations, especially in regards to heating issues. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song