Author Topic: City Strat map  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: City Strat map
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 03:47:52 AM »
Expanding on this post regarding 100 and 250lb bombs on city squares - what about the odd ball 50/60 and 100kg bombs when used on these?...  would a box of three bombers dropping a single 100kg, or two 50/60kg bombs have the same effect as the 100x2 amd 250x1 or will they fall short?...  (particlarly the 100kgx1 option, that seems a shame if it would come up that short....  i really dont get how the "313lbs [= 1 250lbs bombs]" bit works, but I know it is what it is).

313lbs is the exact aboumt of damage a factory building takes to be destroyed, as can be seen in the 'object settings' in the arena. And this is also the exact amount of damage a 250lbs bomb does inflict.

This is because only the 1,000 lbs GP bomb has actually 1,000lbs damage rating. The smaller bombs are more effective compared to their weight (the more the smaller they are), while larger bombs are less effective (the less the bigger it is):

GP bombs
4000lbs - 3125lbs of damage
2000lbs - 1718lbs of damage
1000lbs - 1000lbs of damage
500lbs - 562lbs of damage
250lbs - 312lbs of damage
100lbs - 156lbs of damage.

As for your question on the 100kg bombs on the city square - They fall just short of it, one drop (3x100kg) is not enough for a city block (Which is a pity, would have given the Ki-67 some interesting strat capability)
100kg  - ~275lbs of damage (have to retest it to confirm exact value). I haven't checked the 60kg yet, I would expect between 171 and 205lbs, probably the latter.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »
Ahhh. thanks for the more detailed layout!

Now it's making sence, although it contradicts one of your earleir posts a bit.  I interpeted your earlier recomendation, with a formation of bombers (so x3 to each drop), at being one 250lb per block (which I now understand as a waste/overkill of twice what is needed) or two 100lb bombers per block (again, overkill by roughly the same amount).

If I am, currently, not mistaken - the 250s a the "best fit" becuase if you fly straight down a road (bordering two city blocks) and drop one 250lb per block you can easily (with a safe margin for error) take out two blocks per drop, maybe even more if you're precise enough to stick the three bombs on every other intersection....

And yes, it is an absolute shame the 313 damage needed is just out of reach for a formation droping single salvos of 100kg bombs, the Ki-67 would in particular suddenly gain great effeciency over the city strat (also net good gains for "long" missions with thought and planning put into it, utilising a capable but not unchallenging bomber to accomplish the task with...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:01:08 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
As stated earlier, a city block takes 844lbs to go down - it's the factory buildings which take 313lbs

Thus three 250lbs bombs (drop of one in a formation) yielding a total damage of about 939lbs  is the best fit for the city, and not 'overkill'
Three 100kg bombs do ~ 825lbs of damage.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:12:48 PM by Lusche »

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 05:45:56 PM »
On occasion I have noe to the city strat & then dive bombed using F3 mode and a visual guess. Using this method in Lancasters I have destroyed bldg's in percentages that well exceed any I have achieved level bombing in the Lancs. This method has destroyed up to 40% (city strat) and often times more than 30%. This doesn't seem possible based off of the amount of bombs carried in the Lancs (14K's x 3,) the only thing that would seem to make sense here is that the low altitude and spread of the formation is hitting 3 blocks at a time, instead of one.

What are your thoughts Lusche? 

Thanks,

Rot
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
Of course diving vs horizontal bombing doesn't change the amunt of damage you can inflict. It's all about the damage capacity you are carrying and where you do place the bombs.

If you fly down one aisle of the City and drop right between two squares one by one, you should get 14x2 = 28 city tiles = 33% of the City. If you really have a good aim and drop exactly on the corner of 4 tiles, you could practically expect a maximum of ~42 block = ~49%, but that would require a great deal of luck as well.

Dang, am I really giving away all the 'secrets' here?  :noid

;)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 08:49:50 AM »
Doh, typo!  Too rushed yesterday, thanks for the correction Lusche.

I don't know if its a new strategy to put one bomb thats big enough in between two close proximity targets - but the math/statistics!!!!... thats where I/we need to pick your brain for information.   :aok

Thanks again Lusche!

Edit - also I started my inquiries because, unlike the other strat factories when I set out with a single intended target, my results against the city have never been close to as satisfactory (the factories though, no problem, especially with a heavy)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:00:15 AM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »
Of course diving vs horizontal bombing doesn't change the amunt of damage you can inflict. It's all about the damage capacity you are carrying and where you do place the bombs.

If you fly down one aisle of the City and drop right between two squares one by one, you should get 14x2 = 28 city tiles = 33% of the City. If you really have a good aim and drop exactly on the corner of 4 tiles, you could practically expect a maximum of ~42 block = ~49%, but that would require a great deal of luck as well.

Dang, am I really giving away all the 'secrets' here?  :noid

;)

oh dont worry, these "secrets" you speak of are you're own.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.