Author Topic: Looking for opinions on a build  (Read 689 times)

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
Re: Looking for opinions on a build
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 05:11:59 AM »
Do not get the Windows 7  32 bit OS. It will only support 8 gb of physical memory.
Get the 64 bit windows.
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit will support 192 gb of physical memory.

<S> Bellator

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 05:31:05 AM »
Do not get the Windows 7  32 bit OS. It will only support 8 gb of physical memory.
Get the 64 bit windows.
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit will support 192 gb of physical memory.

As already said in a couple of previous posts, a 32 bit OS will only support 4 gb of physical memory, not 8.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
Check newegg out for combo deals, they have one with this case and PSU,

http://newegg.com/Combo/ComboDeals?itemNumber=N82E16811139008&subcategoryId=7&page=1

It might save you a little money in the long run.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »
16 gigs is way more than anyone will need currently and in the near future. Most people never crack 4Gb memory consumption.
You never know what you'll do in the future, if you start to experiment/work with virtual machines you'll easily hit a barrier. Also higher Win7 versions ofer XP mode for older games/programs unwilling to operate under native Win7. At least 2x8GiB offer less problems/strain for the memory controller and leave an upgrade path open.
At least 16 GiB are more than enough to get rid of then-useless page file.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
You never know what you'll do in the future, if you start to experiment/work with virtual machines you'll easily hit a barrier. Also higher Win7 versions ofer XP mode for older games/programs unwilling to operate under native Win7. At least 2x8GiB offer less problems/strain for the memory controller and leave an upgrade path open.

in about a year his computer will be obsolete just like mine is.  I have 16 gigs but I hardly even get close to using 4.  it does make a difference when looking at films in the film viewer.  but what the future holds is most likely something that will need a new cpu/mobo/ram.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »

Who would do work on his gaming computer? Besides 1 gig is usually enough for most virtual machines you'll want to experiment on. Unless you plan to run a dozen at a time the 16 gig limit won't be a problem.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
I can't say if 16 Gb is too much or not, but memory is dirt cheap these days and doesn't consume much power so getting enough and a little more isn't really a matter of cutting costs. The OP did tell he would also edit films which is a memory consuming task. If the rig were strictly for gaming, a blu-ray drive hardly would be on the list, either...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 12:24:25 AM »
I can't say if 16 Gb is too much or not, but memory is dirt cheap these days and doesn't consume much power so getting enough and a little more isn't really a matter of cutting costs. The OP did tell he would also edit films which is a memory consuming task. If the rig were strictly for gaming, a blu-ray drive hardly would be on the list, either...

The videoediting is the only thing that he could even theoretically use to push the machine past 16Gb. In most cases probably not even there. But of course there's no damage in getting the pro version unless he already has the home edition.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone