Author Topic: Attacking Tanks with bombs, rockets and strafing  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Attacking Tanks with bombs, rockets and strafing
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
That is a ton of good information.  Even rocket firing order which was something I had not even considered.  Sounds like rockets are a good choice to carry up for GV's as a general do all but take bombs as well to knock out the heavy tanks. 

I had wild guessed an American rocket like those used on the P38L was closer to 60# equidistant based on it takes four rockets to knock out a radar.  Or at least it takes four for me to knock it out. 

Is 500 pound'ers the preferred size for heavy tanks or the 1000 pounder's?

I did try the Hurricane tank buster but at the time I did not know that was its primary duty.  I ran into some low bombers.  It worked on them really well.  Next time out, i will give it and the IL2 a try on tanks.

I really appreciate y'all sharing so much information that I know came with a lot of trail and error on your part as well as a great deal of practical, AH experience.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
Giant post, full of exceptional tips.

Thank you for that. I've struggled with rockets vs. AFVs for a decade now. I shall practice offset aiming this evening.
Retired

Offline f35raptor

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »
I know today i was in a g14 with thr gondolas. Seen a  panzer intown from a 90 degree angle i was able to kill it. Now i dont know if he recently took damage but i did not have enough room to pull out of it. Just saying

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 10:27:51 PM »
That is a ton of good information.  Even rocket firing order which was something I had not even considered.  Sounds like rockets are a good choice to carry up for GV's as a general do all but take bombs as well to knock out the heavy tanks. 

I had wild guessed an American rocket like those used on the P38L was closer to 60# equidistant based on it takes four rockets to knock out a radar.  Or at least it takes four for me to knock it out. 

Is 500 pound'ers the preferred size for heavy tanks or the 1000 pounder's?

I did try the Hurricane tank buster but at the time I did not know that was its primary duty.  I ran into some low bombers.  It worked on them really well.  Next time out, i will give it and the IL2 a try on tanks.

I really appreciate y'all sharing so much information that I know came with a lot of trail and error on your part as well as a great deal of practical, AH experience.

Keep in mind that the damage done to an OBJ (ord bunker, radar tower, town building, fuel tank, barracks, factory building, etc) does NOT equate directly in to the ability to destroy or damage a gv.  They register damage two very different ways.  Most of your common OBJ have a hardness setting of 312 lbs, meaning it takes 312 lbs of damage to destroy.  The 5in HVAR rockets do 156 lbs of damage, so TWO of them will destroy an OBJ with the hardness setting of 312 lbs. 

In terms of "which bomb is best", it is real simple: the bigger the bomb the easier it blows up tanks. I usually take 500 lb bomb vs gv's.  Though, sometimes I will take the 250 lb bombs depending on which plane I'm hunting for gv's in.  If you know you have light skinned gv's in bound, done be afraid to use the small bombs (F4F, La's, etc), they work very well too.   :D

With the Hurricane IID, the StukaG-2, and the IL-2, keep your convergence close as in 250 to 300 and only fire a short 1-3 burst with the Hurri IID or Stuka G-2, and 5-10 shot burst with the Il-2.  Angle of impact is everything so if you're trying to defeat the top armor you need a sharper dive. If you're going for the side or rear then a more shallow dive is better.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 06:14:09 AM »
SmokinLoon, good information.  I had a chance to try the Hurricane against tanks on the canyon map.  Got an assist on a Panzer.  A Mustang and a 190 jumped me ending my run.  I did get the 190 first though.  The Hurricane  at the end of the box canyon was perfect.  Next opportunity I will try the IL. 

I tried bombing tanks with the P38.  I need to practice.  I find it hard to see the tank icon, line up and still have enough altitude left  for the bomb to arm.  I think it is just getting an eye for the drop.

Thanks for all the replies for sure.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »
Oh, I have no doubt that you're correct, the IL will be more widely used due to the greater ammo load, most people aren't going to take the time to line up their shots and not waste ammo.... But the lethality of that German 37mm is remarkable. Take your time and learn that JU87 and you won't want to fly the IL again.
used to be TONS of IL2's in the air killing gv's, most everything else, and NOone used F3 view (because they all told us so) Yet, when F3 for IL2 was disabled, it's usage went through the floor.......hmm.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 07:21:19 AM »
Yet, when F3 for IL2 was disabled, it's usage went through the floor.......hmm.

Only  because GHI left the Il-2 as his signature move didn't work anymore  :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:47 AM »
I find it hard to see the tank icon, line up and still have enough altitude left  for the bomb to arm.  I think it is just getting an eye for the drop.

After aquiring the icon, climb up out of icon range while still having an eye on your target. That way you will have more alt for your dive.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »
Gotta agree. Fly/shoot the IL2 as you would the Ju-87 and dont spray. This isnt to necessarily save ammo but to place shots exactly where you want them and to do so from as close to the tank as you can manage. Two or four hits from 200 to 250 out are far more effective then spraying from 400 out. Come in as vertical as you can and place your shots carefully. The IL2 is more then accurate enough if you shoot from in close. I have my convergence set to either 250 or 300 and volley shoot as I would a Hurri-D to the engine top and turret top. The P-4s you can zip the sides, that is if you want to risk the tanks main gun.

Even if you have learned the Ju-87, there are many reasons why the Il-2 is still the superior platform in Aces High. No matter how good you are, if pure efficiency is your main concern over style, the Il-2 is still your plane.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"