Author Topic: Only the Default Skin is Available  (Read 493 times)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
Only the Default Skin is Available
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
I just ran the updater for the patch, and upon logging in, the only skins available for any plane are the various default skins.

I have all of the skins in my 'Skins' folder.

They were working last time I was on, which was 3 or 4 days ago.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
Re: Only the Default Skin is Available
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »
Same thing with skins here.

Also can't get into special events arena. Some kind of error message while trying to download terrain.

I get this message:     lost connection to file server while downloading ahiiterr/ita     :headscratch:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:23:21 PM by Frodo »

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline socktigs

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
Same issue with skins here.  Even downloaded game again and manual grabbed skins.... still will not show in drop down.  They were working fine last night.
MidnHeap
DSGII   III./JG1

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
Just logged back in and I have skins now.  :headscratch:

Still can't get into Special events arena though.

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
Re: Only the Default Skin is Available ** Fixed **
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »
I fixed it by doing this:

- renamed the 'skins' folder to 'skins.old'
- creating a new folder named 'skins'
- logging into the game, entered a hangar, and checked the 'automatically download skins' button
- after several minutes, the file named 'skins.res' was downloaded to the new 'skins' folder
- verified that this file was missing from the original 'skins.old' folder
- copied the new skins.res file to the 'skins.old' folder
- deleted the newly created 'skins' folder
- renamed the 'skins.old' folder to 'skins'
- re-launched the game, and the skins were available

So, for some reason, the file 'skins.res' was deleted when I ran the update tonight.

(I tried to make this as basic a walkthrough as possible for everybody to understand) -- sorry if it comes across infantile. :)
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »
You have to login and go on line to get the skins update file. I'm not sure what the file is/does but it is a file you only get on line. To me it sounds like a 'verify" type file that once it updates if verifies your a paying subscriber and opens the skins. Skuzzy has posted that you can DL the skins from the website, but you will not see them in the game until you login and get that update from the server.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »
This not a bug.

When we add a new vehicle or plane, the "skins.res" file has to be updated.  This file contains all the references to skins in the game.  When it has to be updated the current version is invalid and so the game does not know about any skins installed.
Once the new version of the "skins.res" file is installed (only available online), then all the skins will show up again.
<snip>
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »
I fixed it by doing this:

- renamed the 'skins' folder to 'skins.old'
- creating a new folder named 'skins'
- logging into the game, entered a hangar, and checked the 'automatically download skins' button
- after several minutes, the file named 'skins.res' was downloaded to the new 'skins' folder
- verified that this file was missing from the original 'skins.old' folder
- copied the new skins.res file to the 'skins.old' folder
- deleted the newly created 'skins' folder
- renamed the 'skins.old' folder to 'skins'
- re-launched the game, and the skins were available

So, for some reason, the file 'skins.res' was deleted when I ran the update tonight.

(I tried to make this as basic a walkthrough as possible for everybody to understand) -- sorry if it comes across infantile. :)

Actually you went to a lot of unnecessary effort.  All you needed to do was stay connected to an online arena for a little bit and the "skins.res" file would have been installed and everything would have shown up in the hangar again.

Each time we release a new batch of skins this is going to happen.  It is not a bug, it is by design.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »
Actually you went to a lot of unnecessary effort.  All you needed to do was stay connected to an online arena for a little bit and the "skins.res" file would have been installed and everything would have shown up in the hangar again.

Each time we release a new batch of skins this is going to happen.  It is not a bug, it is by design.

Thanks.  Now that I know this, I won't think it's an issue and will be more patient.

I was in an arena for several minutes, perhaps five, and nothing happened, so I assumed it was a bug.  Then several others who were in the arena asked me about it was well.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"