Author Topic: P40E Aleutian Tiger  (Read 7581 times)

Offline ClaymoreMuskies

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.joehannon.com/
Re: P40E Aleutian Tiger
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 11:13:03 AM »
Thanks for the pic's M,

Krusty, I am leaning your way... I've reviewed a ton of material and although I find a lot of material on a OD with a Forest green I think it was a later 1943 thing as the insignias with the red boarders were in use. Mozart arrived early on so I think he would have been in-line with the originals - He received the congressional medal of honor along with another pilot in the group who was his best friend. I was re-reading the book and he had a picture of a flight in a Canadian p-40 as well. Seems when they got time they did check outs in other variants or models.

--)-Clay---

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 01:59:35 AM »
Single color doesn't mean monochromatic, though. Keep that in mind. While the aircraft may have only had one color used on the upper surfaces, there are different shades within that color that can be combined. For example:

OD fades different ways. Note in the lower right corner the fabric covered control surfaces have a paler, slightly more faded look to them. Subtle, but it is noticable. Note, also, that the OD fades from the point of application, but when parts are serviced, repaired, or replaced, that the fresh paint put over them, or the newer (less weathered) parts are different shades. In this case they appear as a darker spot on the right-most plane from the canopy to just behind the cockpit. Apparently that area was retouched with fresh (or... fresher) paint. Looking at the lower/middle plane, we see the top panel of the engine cowling, underneath the tiger's head, is darker. This and many engine panels are traded out as they get damaged or dinged, and may have different shades denoting new-ness or aged-weathering. Then we also have wear patterns on the wing roots, as well. They don't always show through to the metal. Sometimes the paint is scuffed to look lighter (scratched/scraped), and sometimes it is worn smooth or polished by constant servicing (laying/sitting on the wings to access gun bays, etc) and may appear darker.

So, don't be disheartened by the fact the plane you want only has one color. You can still make it look very interesting!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:01:08 AM by Krusty »

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 09:50:01 AM »
Thanks for the pic's M,

Krusty, I am leaning your way... I've reviewed a ton of material and although I find a lot of material on a OD with a Forest green I think it was a later 1943 thing as the insignias with the red boarders were in use. Mozart arrived early on so I think he would have been in-line with the originals - He received the congressional medal of honor along with another pilot in the group who was his best friend. I was re-reading the book and he had a picture of a flight in a Canadian p-40 as well. Seems when they got time they did check outs in other variants or models.

--)-Clay---

YW the top 4 are Jack Chenualt the Generals son. Leader of the Aleutian Tigers.

the bottom showing they did have camo.
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 12:57:39 PM »
Megalodon, they didn't have camo. Not quite. That is one single airframe that for unknown reasons had camo on it. Perhaps a british airframe they picked up somewhere. "They" didn't have camo. That one single rare example did. You would have to prove it was an actual combat ride, and not just some squadron hack, or war-weary bird used for training, or communications, or whatnot.

There are a few pictures of it because it was quite the oddity, but they are all the same plane from what I've read.

Offline ClaymoreMuskies

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »
Skin rejected on the 25th, Not sure why - is there something I can fix on it that is outright wrong? Is it just not up to par artistically?

Help a brother out :)

--)-Clay---

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
Well, what did the final product look like? Screenshots?

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
Claymore,
Dont sweat it you can just ask Skuzzy via email, he always replies. I also had one P40 skin rejected and asked, he replied within the day.

BTW did you have the panel lines visible when the bumpmap turned off?

Regards.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline ClaymoreMuskies

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »
Yes had panel lines in grey as I thought that would show wear, lines were a layer based off the bump map.

krusty I had already submitted as the one in the editor shot...

I don't mind the rejection I will attempt again with the advice given by you all

Just worried I screwed up the format or left something out.

--)-Clay---

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 02:06:15 AM »
You mean this one?

Because there was a lot that needed work on that screenshot, and after all the feedback on this thread it sounded like you were going to go back and solve some of the issues with the skin. Before submitting it.

If you just submitted it as-is I can see why it got rejected. 1) The panel lines looked really bad, and 2) it was historically inaccurate to have the 2-tone came on a tiger-headed plane like that, 3) the weathering could also be helped, as well (the exhaust stains aren't too appealing).

I think these are all things brought up in this thread. That's why I was asking for a screenshot of what it looked like at the point you submitted it.

If that's the same screenshot, I think we have our answer. Not to belittle you, but just to say after all the feedback if you sent it that way regardless and ignored what folks had to say...? I'm not surprised. Good start, but not ready for submission.

Offline ClaymoreMuskies

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
Ok, fair enough - I get that. I had submitted before those posts and during the time that no changes were to be submitted. I will go back to the drawing board now that submits are open again.

--)-Clay---

Offline ClaymoreMuskies

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
new version up for a look... what do you all think?

--)-Claymore---
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:28:12 PM by ClaymoreMuskies »

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »
 :aok

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 10:32:16 PM »
Compared to the previous pics, IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!  :aok

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 06:53:57 AM »
Good skin, much better than before ClaymoreMuskies. I would suggest making the panel lines for the engine access hatches stand out a bit more than the rest of the panel lines. Just create a duplicate panel line layer and delete all the other panel lines from this layer. Then you can alter the opacity of the layer to get the engine hatch lines as visible as required.

Offline ClaymoreMuskies

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
Thank you guys, and I will do that Greebo.

--)-Clay----