Author Topic: Triple Monitor Setup - but now this...  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Triple Monitor Setup - but now this...
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »
I accept it because I know nothing is going to change no matter what kind of hissy fit I through about it. I can always protest by moving to competing platform and that's what I've done exactly. As long as you choose to be tied to the Microsofts leash you really can't complain.

One can also protest by not purchasing Windows 8, at all.  No need to throw a "hissy fit".
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 12:35:17 PM »
One can also protest by not purchasing Windows 8, at all.  No need to throw a "hissy fit".

In theory true but in practice its getting very hard. Consumers really have no choice - they will need to accept the current release as a preinstall.

And anyone else will also need to get a new OS unless they have stocked up on old versions. I considered on buying a couple of Win7 full retail versions for the future but after testing Win8 I decided it's simply not worth the money or trouble. For me the 40 dollar deal was a no brainer to get a legal working OS to my new gaming box.

The fact is that people hate change. Did you folks already forget how many times XP end of life was moved back because Vista/Win7 were supposedly so bad? :D Now everyone is raging to get to keep Win7. Did you folks already forget what kind of hate XP got when it got released and everyone were sticking to their Win9x? :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:53:45 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
The difference between Vista and 7 is about the same as the difference between 95SE and 98.

Nobody was griping about 7 like they were about vista. There was a big difference between the two.

As for the "in practice it's getting very hard" -- Bzzt! Wrong! Why do you think XP's life was pushed back? Becuase everybody refused, en masse, to buy Vista. MS was forcing it on everyone, everywhere, and everyone, everywhere, was revolting and rolling it back to XP. From the individual user on up to massive corporations.

So "not buying it" DOES work, and as recently as a couple years ago it influenced MS into $#!^canning vista and ... let's say "fixing it" and releasing win7.

It wasn't that long ago. And it worked. It forced MS into changing their ways. Here's hoping it works again and Win8 goes the way of the dodo.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
Vista continues to be a very bad operating system.  There are design issues, with that operating system, which cannot be fixed.  

When Windows 7 first came out, there were a lot of problems (it only took 6 months for there to be more that 100 updates available).  Even after SP1 for Windows 7, there is still over 100 updates available for a fresh installation.

But, it is a now, finally, getting stable.  There are still a number of compatibility problems with older software packages that will never be solved, but that list is getting shorter as replacements are released to run under Windows 7.  Drivers are pretty stable as well.

This is the way it is with any Microsoft OS.

It is not difficult to vote with your wallet, but it is easier not to do so.

Unfortunately, I feel (yes, it is an opinion) Microsoft is going to continue to force a Windows 8 type of product on the end user from now on.

If that opinion turns to fact, then Windows 7 will be the last Microsoft OS I ever own.  Fortunately, most of the applications I need to run are all being migrated to Linux.  Here's hoping.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »
Not in a new OEM computer - unless you're a business customer. Also separate OS sales are getting very scarce.

And you're right - nothing but Microsoft stops that. That however is pretty much all that's needed lol. If MS chooses to quit activating our old copies of Windows there's no legal remedy for that.

It's not entirely Microsofts doing either. I wouldn't even dream trying to install 2013 hardware on Windows XP anymore. The driver support just isn't there anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

70 bucks for the basic win7 64bit and they have plenty left.  what is hard to get is brand name computers with win 7 as they have all switched to win8.  as for the companies that buld custom computers they all still have win7 as an option.  I dont think win7 is going to disappear next week from the shelves.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
We'll be able to get Windows 7 in new shrink wrap from online stores for a long long time.  Windows 8 will be an OS that I skip.  I may also do like Skuzzy and make Windows 7 my last Windows OS.  Or I may use it for 10 years like I did with Windows XP.  Or eight years like I did with Windows 2000.  For the record, I also skipped ME and Vista.  Never used either of them.  Not once, on any PC, at work or home or at school.  They were trash.  Windows 8 is not inevitable, not the future.  The only chance I use Windows 8 will be if I buy a Windows Phone, and I doubt that will happen (no user removable battery).

As for every Windows interface since Windows 2000, which was the ultimate and best Windows interface of all time, all I have to say is that I'll never have to learn a new Windows interface again:

http://www.classicshell.net
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 11:50:49 PM »
Being able to buy 7 doesn't change the fact that Win8 works perfectly fine as a gaming OS.

It's funny how many people are here with opinnions but nobody could give me even one technical problem that would stop Win8 from being a successful gaming (or even all round) OS. The user interface is ridiculously simple to learn once you learn the 'right click in the left lower corner' trick, the press 'win' to search and where to open the charms bar.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 12:12:39 AM »
Being able to buy 7 doesn't change the fact that Win8 works perfectly fine as a gaming OS.

It's funny how many people are here with opinnions but nobody could give me even one technical problem that would stop Win8 from being a successful gaming (or even all round) OS. The user interface is ridiculously simple to learn once you learn the 'right click in the left lower corner' trick, the press 'win' to search and where to open the charms bar.

so first you claim that you cannot buy anything else other than win8, now you claim that you can buy something other than win8.  are you even keeping track of your claims? man you are making me look like a computer wizard.

Ehh? Reading comprehension please. Windows 8 is the future because it is the current release version and you can't get ANYTHING else to a new computer at the moment and in the near future.

Microsoft has not reacted in any way to the whines about the new UI, quite the opposite they merged mobile and desktop development to further solidify it. There is no change promised or even visible right now.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 12:30:25 AM »
so first you claim that you cannot buy anything else other than win8, now you claim that you can buy something other than win8.  are you even keeping track of your claims? man you are making me look like a computer wizard.

midway

You can't get new (OEM) computers anymore with anything else than Win8 like I said. FACT. Windows 7 is slowly but surely disappearing from the shelves of stores. Brick and mortar stores already have removed it from the inventory. FACT. And contrary to your hopes I'm not making you look like a wizard, quite the opposite :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 06:37:25 AM »
You can't get new (OEM) computers anymore with anything else than Win8 like I said. FACT. <snip>

That is not true.  The company my Wife works for just bought a bunch of Windows 7 computers from Dell.

Yes, it will become more difficult to get Windows 7, as time goes on.  The current official date which Microsoft drops support for Windows 7 is sometime in 2016.  I expect that date will move.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:45:14 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2013, 06:45:37 AM »
That is not true.  The company my Wife works for just bought a bunch of Windows 7 computers from Dell.

I was talking about consumers obviously, not businesses. For businesses product life is always extended.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 11:03:52 AM »
Places like NewEgg and up here in Western Canada Memory Express, which cater to the built it yourself, and in the latter's case the gaming community still sell Win 7.  I just ordered 3 custom systems from them, had them assemble them for 50$ and install the OS/drivers with every current update included for that price, and each of them have Win 7 installed.  

I hear what you're saying regarding the HP and ACER types of "on the shelf" PC's for average Joe, most if not all of the ones I've seen have Win 8.  That said, saying Win 8 "works just fine for gaming" is just that..."just fine".  I won't bother linking the dozens of articles for and against Win 8 as it pertains to the gaming market.  One person of note, Gabe Newell, who runs Valve/Steam  stated 'I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC gaming space'.   I realize this is just one person's opinion, but it's echoed from a lot of others in the gaming community.  You don't have to look far for others bashing it.  

Myself, I was essentially forced to upgrade my home theater PC to Windows 8.  Luckily, the 3 aforementioned systems each came with an upgrade coupon valid until the end of this month to get the 250$ Win 8 pro for 14.95$, so at least I didn't get the good old Microsoft scam price, it was cheap.  The reason for this is that my ISP is one of those that is using Netflix's new portal for their "Super HD" content, which streams at 5800 kb/s as opposed to the regular 1700, and while not blu-ray quality, it is noticeably better than 720P broadcast TV level HD.  In order to use this service however, if you're using a PC for netflix, you HAVE to use the new Netflix "app" from...you guessed it...the new Windows 8 super duper application store!  Which, btw, is NOT available for Windows 7.  Yes, you can use a Boxee, or Apple HD TV box, or even a PS3 for "Super HD" from Netflix, but those are really the only other options other than a couple manufacturers smart TV's with wi-fi Netflix capability (I have one of these too, a Samsung 40" 120hz LED).  However the point is I WANT to be using my PC for ease of Netflix use and all the other videos I have on it for my theater room with my HD projector, not some crappy alternative.  Microsoft and Netflix both are getting a lot of pushback from their users who want a Win 7 solution for this new content, but it isn't going to happen they say.  Typical.

As for the OP, which is far flung from this topic I posted on, sorry Ed, if you want any help shoot me a PM.  I'm running sli 680's on 3 monitors, and it was a little more finicky to set up than with the 7970 X-fire solution, but the performance is 5/6 and pick em between the two for the games I primarily use, and doing it over would probably = 2 7970 cards or the single 690 card or 6gig 7970 Toxic single card.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:14:40 AM by Gman »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »
Places like NewEgg and up here in Western Canada Memory Express, which cater to the built it yourself, and in the latter's case the gaming community still sell Win 7.  I just ordered 3 custom systems from them, had them assemble them for 50$ and install the OS/drivers with every current update included for that price, and each of them have Win 7 installed.  

I hear what you're saying regarding the HP and ACER types of "on the shelf" PC's for average Joe, most if not all of the ones I've seen have Win 8.  That said, saying Win 8 "works just fine for gaming" is just that..."just fine".  I won't bother linking the dozens of articles for and against Win 8 as it pertains to the gaming market.  One person of note, Gabe Newell, who runs Valve/Steam  stated 'I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC gaming space'.   I realize this is just one person's opinion, but it's echoed from a lot of others in the gaming community.  You don't have to look far for others bashing it.  

Myself, I was essentially forced to upgrade my home theater PC to Windows 8.  Luckily, the 3 aforementioned systems each came with an upgrade coupon valid until the end of this month to get the 250$ Win 8 pro for 14.95$, so at least I didn't get the good old Microsoft scam price, it was cheap.  The reason for this is that my ISP is one of those that is using Netflix's new portal for their "Super HD" content, which streams at 5800 kb/s as opposed to the regular 1700, and while not blu-ray quality, it is noticeably better than 720P broadcast TV level HD.  In order to use this service however, if you're using a PC for netflix, you HAVE to use the new Netflix "app" from...you guessed it...the new Windows 8 super duper application store!  Which, btw, is NOT available for Windows 7.  Yes, you can use a Boxee, or Apple HD TV box, or even a PS3 for "Super HD" from Netflix, but those are really the only other options other than a couple manufacturers smart TV's with wi-fi Netflix capability (I have one of these too, a Samsung 40" 120hz LED).  However the point is I WANT to be using my PC for ease of Netflix use and all the other videos I have on it for my theater room with my HD projector, not some crappy alternative.  Microsoft and Netflix both are getting a lot of pushback from their users who want a Win 7 solution for this new content, but it isn't going to happen they say.  Typical.

As for the OP, which is far flung from this topic I posted on, sorry Ed, if you want any help shoot me a PM.  I'm running sli 680's on 3 monitors, and it was a little more finicky to set up than with the 7970 X-fire solution, but the performance is 5/6 and pick em between the two for the games I primarily use, and doing it over would probably = 2 7970 cards or the single 690 card or 6gig 7970 Toxic single card.

Gabe Newell thinks Win8 is a catastrophe for _his_ industry because it contains a competing application store and they're scared poopless about Microsofts venture in their playfield. They're dead scared about the move to signed code only distribution through MS app store which would mean giving a 30% royalty to Microsoft along with having to adhere to their distribution rules.

If you see all these articles more closely _none_ of them go into any details as to _why_ windows 8 would be bad for gaming. In fact all benchmarks and user tests point the exact opposite - Windows 8 has been found to perform equally well or better compared to Windows 7. For the first time in Windows history you now have a working 'sleep' which wakes up in 1 second. You have drastically improved bootup times etc. If they didn't mess with the user interface there would be little question that Windows 8 isn't the best windows release ever.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »
I have posted all the reasons why I detest Windows 8, more than once.  Kind of over it now.  People are going to do what they want, regardless of the long term impact it might have.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 05:33:01 PM »
He seems to just ignore any comment he disagrees with Skuzzy. Not worth it to correct him anymore. I know *I* stopped replying to him.