Author Topic: old hard drive as a secondary on a different machine question  (Read 311 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
old hard drive as a secondary on a different machine question
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:17:35 PM »
I know I can connect a hard drve from an old machine t a new one  and acess the data/files on the old drive.
But would I still be able to run any programs installed on the old drive?

Example. I have 4 old computers here. My daughter ones one hooked up that has the full version of photo shop on it. But I also have a better machine then the one photoshop is currently installed on. Can I take the drive that has photoshop on and add it to the faster machine and still run photoshop?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
Re: old hard drive as a secondary on a different machine question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »
I don't think so the way I am reading your question. The reason is, the software was not installed on the faster machine where it was insatalled on the slower machine.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
Yes, you can in some instances, though I'm not sure about photoshop in particular. Photoshop will probably ask to be re-activated if it runs.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 11:50:58 PM »
In most cases you need to reinstall the software.  Specifically for photoshop, You'll need to reinstall from the original discs on the new machine.

If you don't have them, adobe has them available to download... it is an older version but works like a champ!

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:21:25 AM »
You'd have to install Photoshop to the better computer. After that you can reach the photoshop project files on the old disk with the new computer.

If you have or can get the installation files for your current Photoshop installation, but don't know where the installation code is, you can try e.g. the free Belarc Advisor to reveal the code.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »
Thaangyouverymuch
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
You used to be able to run some. Now just small programs, sharewares or indy software will let you do that. Nowadays any modern software has many registry entries (and Adobe? Good GOD they have tons!) that won't let the software run without checking first. If it can't find them, it can't run.

That's why I will copy the files over to get any working files, and projects, but I always have to reinstall the software packages themselves.