Author Topic: Switching hard drives  (Read 399 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Switching hard drives
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:04:37 AM »
I'm thinking about taking a hard drive out of one computer and installing it as an additional hard drive on another computer. It has some data I want to access. It has Windows 7 installed. Will that cause any issues?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Switching hard drives
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
Nope, just don't boot from it. I just took the main HD out of my wifes old box, took the files I wanted off it, formated it, and loaded a copy of of the stuff I wanted backed up to it.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »
Nope, just don't boot from it. I just took the main HD out of my wifes old box, took the files I wanted off it, formated it, and loaded a copy of of the stuff I wanted backed up to it.

I just can't plug it in and go to say drive G for the data?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »
I just can't plug it in and go to say drive G for the data?

Your question was... "Will that cause any issues?"

My answer was "nope".

So it WILL NOT cause any issues, just don't boot from the new drive because it will look to load up the MB drivers from the old computer.

So YES you can plug it in and pull any information/data you want off of it. You don't have to format it even. You could leave it in as an additional  drive as is. I just pulled what I wanted off mine and started fresh with it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »
Even better would be connecting that drive to a Linux running computer: Connecting a newish Windows disk to a newish Windows machine could lead to some issues concerning security. The folders of the extra disk might appear as empty, if the profile is password protected. Linux doesn't care about ntfs protection. Another way in the case of protected folders is to take ownership over them.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni