Author Topic: Week of March 8, 2013--Battle of Midway  (Read 1636 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Week of March 8, 2013--Battle of Midway
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »
Battle of Midway--Operation Mai

A month after striking in the Coral Sea, the Japanese launched an all-out assault against Midway Island in what was obviously intended as the first step of a grand attack upon Hawaii and continental United States. The Navy was ready, and the heroic pilots from naval aircraft carriers inflicted a major sea defeat upon two great converging forces northwest of Midway. The enemy lost four aircraft carriers, at least two heavy cruisers, and a number of light cruisers, destroyers and transport - all by aerial attack.

Map: Midway
comms: 123 for both sides

Allies:
F4F
B239 brewster
sbd
tbm

Axis:
A6M2
A6M3
B5N2
D3A

visibility 17
carriers will be set close, but not controlable. 5 inchers will be active
armored gun lethality--.25(this was to tone down the 5inchers)
ack--.25
radar alt -- 200

Offline Badger85

• Copper Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Week of March 8, 2013--Battle of Midway
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:06:12 AM »
Nice one! It will be good practice for me in the F4F-4 since that's what our squadron (806) is flying too in the current Scenario.
ENS Badger85 (Reserves)
VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers" : http://www.thejollyrogers.net
Aviation Blog : http://abovegroundlevel.org

"We were the corsairs of the Pacific conflict, and I believe we were the last of the corsairs." -George Grider

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:43:05 AM »
Nice one! It will be good practice for me in the F4F-4 since that's what our squadron (806) is flying too in the current Scenario.

This plane set (without the Finn-version Brew, which I suspect is there for balance only) is one of the best historical illustrations that AH has to offer.  Wildcat pilots learn very quickly either to fly as a team or to die as rugged individuals - just as it was.

- oldman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »
The presence of the Brewster puts lie to the whole concept of the AvA.  Non-historical nonsense is fine as long as it favors the Americans or Germans.  The bias is truly off putting.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »
mmm k
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »
thank you for your support, please come again!

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »
Looking for demons where there are none.

If we are to be truly historical then we will need to always script it so the side who lost in RL has no chance.

Yeah that would be just great, wouldn't it?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:16:48 PM by jimson »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 01:59:02 AM »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
Whatever grudge your holding Karnak you really reallly need to let it go.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »
Looking for demons where there are none.

If we are to be truly historical then we will need to always script it so the side who lost in RL has no chance.

Yeah that would be just great, wouldn't it?

I understand what you are suggesting but, actually, the enviroment would have to be scripted in such a way where the advantages and disadvantages for each side mimic history. That being said, there was no historcal hindsight available then, either. So, even then, to portray no such foreknowledge would require actually changing circumstantial details.

Good thing AvA is more of a 'immersive enviroment' arena and not a true-blue 're-enactment.'

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 12:46:08 PM »
I understand what you are suggesting but, actually, the enviroment would have to be scripted in such a way where the advantages and disadvantages for each side mimic history. That being said, there was no historical hindsight available then, either. So, even then, to portray no such foreknowledge would require actually changing circumstantial details.
Good thing AvA is more of a 'immersive enviroment' arena and not a true-blue 're-enactment.'

True, and it's difficult to do with the limited plane sets we have. If we had a Brewster that was modeled as the F2F buffalo there would be no issue with this. The B239 is just an endless source of teeth gnashing.

"The Fins just were able to use it more successfully than others"  "It's a totally different plane" "It's way over modeled"

The problem I have is with insinuations of bias.

We have been called Axis biased for leaving out the Spixteen where it historically might have been.

Now we are called Allied biased.

No matter what you do, someone will take issue with it.

I'm planning an AVG setup. Historically their opponents were the Ki-27, earlier bombers and to a lesser extent the Ki43I

So if I sub the Ki43II and Betty, does that mean I will be Japanese biased?

In any case, it's just a game. I'd rather try things out than to only run the few setups we have all the correct models for.

If it doesn't work out, we can always try something different next time.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:56:07 PM by jimson »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »
True dat. Can only work with the toys available in the sandbox. I once designed something that involved Japanese jets subbing the 262 skinned as a Kikka and the 163 skinned as a Shusui.

Some liked, some didn't. Those that wanted fun had fun, those that wanted a completely different war (of words) ... waged one.  :D

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »
Actually with the addition of the A6M3 in the setup as well, and making exception for the manuverability of the Brewster.. The A6M3/Brewster matchup may well play out close to the actual fight between the A6M2 and F2A-3s at Midway.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »
I enabled a Kikka once on a version of Operation Downfall. The Japan terrain already had a Japanese skin for the 262. I don't remember if it ever was used as I enabled it only way up north Honshu.

It's a constant struggle. I've been trying to put together a Flying Tigers setup but with what planes? The Val for a Nate? or maybe the I-16 could be a Nate with the cannon gun packaged disabled. The a6m2 as an Oscar? Can't disable it's cannons and there is nothing that really approximates early Japanese bombers.

Now we will have an Oscar and I still worry that it might over match the P40-C, since it's the II model.

Oh well, just gotta give it a go, I guess.

:salute

Good Idea on the a6m3 Shifty, but then we might have to use the FM2 wildcat to compensate LOL

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:56:16 PM by jimson »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
The Japan terrain already had a Japanese skin for the 262. I don't remember if it ever was used as I enabled it only way up north Honshu.

That may be a 'Second Wind' skin. It was quite a while back, though.