Author Topic: Wee bit disappointed  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Wee bit disappointed
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »
Took about a couple of month's off and came back a bit this weekend. Now I'm rusty as I can be but I thought I would jump into the thick of things and take my licks.

First night I'm up I see a horde at 143 I think. Though totally covered I took off in an F6 just to mix it up. Got knocked down before I could hardly get up. Which is fine. I expected it. Darn me though I didn't have my views set up very well and in the F6 it's a lousy view anyway. Finally got lifted and shot at a couple of planes before being knocked down yet again. Then my computer froze. Seems MS has been busy throwing out updates. All is good though. I up at another base and a couple of planes are trying to pick/rope me while I'm in an F4U-1A. I turn sharp and lose control, smack into mother earth.

Now where the disappointment part comes in. Last night it seemed I had to chase everyone down. Didn't get any kills but did get a few assists, one on a 262. It just seemed I was chasing everyone for the time I was up. That wasn't fun.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Wee bit disappointed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:52:49 PM »
I wonder if a gameplay mechanism that increases the player's desire to fight could be added?

Hmmm.

Need to think on that.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:13:54 PM »
I think it's more terrain related, although the players style/ability/tactics are at the root of it.  The current map doesn't do much to discourage players from climbing up very high from the closest or next closest fields, nor limit the ability to run-out in any direction they choose for many many unobscured miles. 
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
I think it's more terrain related, although the players style/ability/tactics are at the root of it.  The current map doesn't do much to discourage players from climbing up very high from the closest or next closest fields, nor limit the ability to run-out in any direction they choose for many many unobscured miles. 

For as long as I have been playing I never thought about that. I do think you have a point.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »
I got on yesterday evening for a while.  Actually had some fun!  It was good to get back in the air.  Although, I did spend some time in GVs....still making the adjustment since the big update on GVs.  Really had fun taking back some TT bases since the Knights had taken the whole island.   :rock

#S#

Josh
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:02:01 PM »
The LA7 is just as susceptible to vulches and lawndarting as the F6F is.

On the offhand chance you get the hang of "flying" again, it's fast enough to run down almost any other aircraft in the game.

Use the right tool for the job!

(this message is approved by TICAoPD... Tongue in Cheek Association of Pixel Drivers)
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »
Honestly, unless there just aren't that many people on, I just point my nose at the biggest enemy darbar I see and shoot people until I go down or run dry.

:banana:
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
I wonder if a gameplay mechanism that increases the player's desire to fight could be added?

Hmmm.

Need to think on that.
I think this is worth discussing.Make it more desirable to fight and die rather then to run hord or climb all day long.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »
Played a bit over the weekend...good furball ended by toolshedders...pretty normal night.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
We fighter pilots are still around, just very few of us left though it seems. What I think is happening is new players are signing up, of course having 0 experience in this game and how to fly, and decide they just don't want to learn how to fight. Why should they when they can just out run you with their P51? And, as more new players are joining, the older vets of the game are retiring from the game or on long breaks.

The ratio of newer players to experienced players seems to be very lopsided towards newer players right now, and a lot of those newer players don't seem to be very willing to even try to learn some ACM.

The blame for the lack of fights in the MA could also be put on you scorepotatos. When someone new enters the game, they want to be the best. Ok, there's a scoring system in this game, so to be the best you have to be ranked #1 right? Guess who the people in the top 20 ranks are? Names of people who take Tempests or P51Ds to 20K over a furball and run when someone points their nose at them. Then the Tempy/Pony pilot has 4-6 friendlies come save him. Ok, not everyone with a good scores does this, but the new player sees the ones doing it land 7-10 kills and thinks "Oh, he's ranked #2 in fighters. That's how I have to fight get a good score!"

Some people have actually earned their score by just being that good! Most of the best pilots I have fought though have had rankings in the 1000-3000 because they only ever fly fighter mode, get 2-3 very well fought kills per sortie, and are not afraid to get into a cloud of red and mix things up.

I'm not saying "Oh, everyone in the MA is a wussy little dweeb, and this is how you have to play!" It's your $15 and you can play however you please. I'm just putting my thoughts out there as to why I think there has been a decline in actual fights in the MA.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »
I got on yesterday evening for a while.  Actually had some fun!  It was good to get back in the air.  Although, I did spend some time in GVs....still making the adjustment since the big update on GVs.  Really had fun taking back some TT bases since the Knights had taken the whole island.   :rock

#S#

Josh

It's ok, you guys made no progres anywhere else on the map, AND we took all the bases on TT back this morning.  :aok  :devil
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:38:23 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »
SNIP to save space!

I agree 100% Along with that is the little generals that lead the mega squads/missions. They don't encourage fighting, they encourage dropping your target for the good of the mission. Whether you lawndart or not you better hit what your aiming at. As long as you do that your a top notch player in their book.

Todays player is a more "wing it as you go" type player. With my kids (24 + 26), I have seen them grab a new game, load it up, and play learning as they go. In 15-20 minutes they are at least average and excelling toward "pro" which they will reach in no time at all. Most games have the same controls and play, but not Aces High. It covers a much wider range of skills that take time to learn to even become "average" let alone one of the top players. They don't have time for that, and just want to play NOW!

So they jump in with the biggest group (horde) and play follow the leader. The leaders do nothing more than drag them from base to base telling them to drop everything. None are expected to fight, and rarely do they, except those "sharks" that hide among the sheep/lemmings to pop out and snap up a defender looking to grab a quick kill or two.

Restricting the numbers for hordes will spread the fights out. Less players means the ones you DO have have to be better, and that means fighting as well as hitting what they need to. More fights on more fronts will also spread the defense out making SOME of the captures almost as easy as it is with 20-30 guys now.  :D

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 06:16:22 PM »
try flying your plane one sector to an enemy base. Then the red things come to you.  :old:

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 06:24:55 PM »
It's ok, you guys made no progres anywhere else on the map, AND we took all the bases on TT back this morning.  :aok  :devil

Eh, was worth the effort  :D
Tours 86 - 296

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »
try flying your plane one sector to an enemy base. Then the red things come to you.  :old:

you would think, but that don't work as good as it sounds.

very few people actually fight in the MA....its gotten quite lame.