Author Topic: Wee bit disappointed  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Wee bit disappointed
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »
I used to think the same thing Ink.  But the few times I have actually gotten to fly over the last few months I have found several good fights.  Then again, I did run into a guy that ran from me, once I caught him we continued to hover over his friend in a PT boat at 100mph...was a good CV battle going on, so it was target rich.  The less I play, the fewer complaints I have.  IDK if it's because I'm not around everyday like I used to be, if I have a different view of the game and just try to have fun when I do get online, or both.

#S#

Josh
Tours 86 - 296

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »
I used to think the same thing Ink.  But the few times I have actually gotten to fly over the last few months I have found several good fights.  Then again, I did run into a guy that ran from me, once I caught him we continued to hover over his friend in a PT boat at 100mph...was a good CV battle going on, so it was target rich.  The less I play, the fewer complaints I have.  IDK if it's because I'm not around everyday like I used to be, if I have a different view of the game and just try to have fun when I do get online, or both.

#S#

Josh

I know there are those that fight, but sadly they are drowned out by the hording ganging must live mentality....

I know there has always been gangs and hoards, but it has steadily increased since I started and has gotten to the point of ridiculousness....ive had regularly 2 guys run..... up to even 5 guys run from my plane and I mean nose down hit the deck run.....now I know I am an alright virtual fighter and I will make you work to kill me....but damn....something is wrong when 2 or more guys will run from a lone con so they don't have to fight.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
Honestly, unless there just aren't that many people on, I just point my nose at the biggest enemy darbar I see and shoot people until I go down or run dry.

:banana:

^^^^^ This.

Also, with so many guys saying they are desperate for a scrap, who the hell are all the damn runners? Obviously they don't frequent the BBS , everyone here is looking for a rumble irrespective of the outcone :confused:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »
More fights on more fronts will also spread the defense out making SOME of the captures almost as easy as it is with 20-30 guys now.  :D

This gets me thinking. People don't like flying more than a sector to any base to attack or defend. Most of the maps we have now really only have maybe 2-3 really close bases on each frontline. This kind of forces people to either join everyone attacking 1 base, or join in the defense of the other bases being horded. We only ever see NOE missions going for the more spread out bases. This way they maximize their chance of a capture knowing that anyone who gets killed probably won't re-up and continue the attack. Instead, that person is going to join the furball/horde at the closer bases.

What would happen in we had a map that had a much wider front, 7-10 bases on each front that were relatively close to each others? An example: Take the map Trinity, remove the 30K mountains, remove the massive oceans between the fronts and replace it with land, add more bases to fill in the open spaces, and we now have a map with about 10 frontline bases on each front. Now let's say there are 30 bish attacking a rook base with 10 rook defenders, and there are 30 rooks attacking a bish base with 10 bish defenders. There are 15 bish sitting in the tower looking for something to do, but don't want to spend 20 minutes flying to the target. On our current maps they would either have the choice of joining the horde attacking the rook base, or join in the defense against the rook horde at the other base. All the other frontline bases are just too long of a flight. Of course, there are 15 rooks sitting in the tower thinking the same think. With more frontline bases, all fairly close together, they would get the third choice of "Hey, anyone in the tower looking for action. Let's join up together and attack this base which has no one at it. It's only a 5 minute flight!" The 15 bish in the tower band together to attack a quiet rook base, the 15 rooks in their tower see them coming and up to defend. Now we have 3 different fights going on ON JUST ONE FRONT! There's still the entire bish/nit rook/nit fronts too!

This would, however, require people willing to break off from the hordes and spread the fight out.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 07:50:21 PM »
OOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (and this is only IF I buy into the incessant crying about runners)  maybe the cry babies in the game have cried SO much that no one really cares what they have to say any more. If you squeak at a kid long enough he will eventually stop respecting what you have to say.

If some newb logs on and the first thing he hears is complaints about runners, skilless dweebs, and "worthless hoarders" he is instantly alienated because if he fights, he dies and if he runs he's a loser. You are all mostly adults (I think). And I have heard many of you spout off melo-dramatic baloney about honor, and courage (excessively for a game) :rolleyes: and yet here you are berating what many of you agree are NEWBS with no skills. What tough guys we are.

Lead by example and quit knocking others for not playing the way you want them to. Not everyone joins this game to play it like a nintendo game. I certainly didnt play to forever spend my time upping just to get whacked in an impossible situation and prove I have balls to a bunch of cartoon John Waynes.

Which leads me to the next irony, many if not most of the criers complain when "they fly to live" and then complain "they are nintendo kids" who don't really care about learning ACM.  :rolleyes: Make up your mind. Either they are adults who choose to fly as an intelligent adult would fly his aircraft. Colmbo maybe? Or they fly like an impetuous kid. It can't be both.

How many fathers with a kid old enough to truly understand the concepts in this game would teach him to jump into a situation without any consideration for the consequences?

The blame for the lack of fights in the MA could also be put on you scorepotatos. When someone new enters the game, they want to be the best.

So you're saying that predominantly adult male population that come here are suddenly imbued with competitive drive AFTER they start playing AH?

Of all the crying and complaining about runners here, I can agree that the DA/lake runners are a lower class of dweeb. The MA might as some suggest, have been created by hitech with the desire to see all dogfights all the time (and a fantasy world without runners) but that's not how he wrote the rules. So until he changes them, this argument is the most idiotic disease on the bbs.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:53:11 PM by muzik »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 08:11:37 PM »
OOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (and this is only IF I buy into the incessant crying about runners)  maybe the cry babies in the game have cried SO much that no one really cares what they have to say any more. If you squeak at a kid long enough he will eventually stop respecting what you have to say.

If some newb logs on and the first thing he hears is complaints about runners, skilless dweebs, and "worthless hoarders" he is instantly alienated because if he fights, he dies and if he runs he's a loser. You are all mostly adults (I think). And I have heard many of you spout off melo-dramatic baloney about honor, and courage (excessively for a game) :rolleyes: and yet here you are berating what many of you agree are NEWBS with no skills. What tough guys we are.

Lead by example and quit knocking others for not playing the way you want them to. Not everyone joins this game to play it like a nintendo game. I certainly didnt play to forever spend my time upping just to get whacked in an impossible situation and prove I have balls to a bunch of cartoon John Waynes.

Which leads me to the next irony, many if not most of the criers complain when "they fly to live" and then complain "they are nintendo kids" who don't really care about learning ACM.  :rolleyes: Make up your mind. Either they are adults who choose to fly as an intelligent adult would fly his aircraft. Colmbo maybe? Or they fly like an impetuous kid. It can't be both.

How many fathers with a kid old enough to truly understand the concepts in this game would teach him to jump into a situation without any consideration for the consequences?

So you're saying that predominantly adult male population that come here are suddenly imbued with competitive drive AFTER they start playing AH?

Of all the crying and complaining about runners here, I can agree that the DA/lake runners are a lower class of dweeb. The MA might as some suggest, have been created by hitech with the desire to see all dogfights all the time (and a fantasy world without runners) but that's not how he wrote the rules. So until he changes them, this argument is the most idiotic disease on the bbs.

pfft....playing a combat game and not engaging is lame...... only engaging when you have every advantage is lame....

4 guys running from 1 is ultra lame....

crying/complaining...don't think so ...........stating truths.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 08:42:22 PM »

This gets me thinking. People don't like flying more than a sector to any base to attack or defend. Most of the maps we have now really only have maybe 2-3 really close bases on each frontline. This kind of forces people to either join everyone attacking 1 base, or join in the defense of the other bases being horded. We only ever see NOE missions going for the more spread out bases. This way they maximize their chance of a capture knowing that anyone who gets killed probably won't re-up and continue the attack. Instead, that person is going to join the furball/horde at the closer bases.

What would happen in we had a map that had a much wider front, 7-10 bases on each front that were relatively close to each others? An example: Take the map Trinity, remove the 30K mountains, remove the massive oceans between the fronts and replace it with land, add more bases to fill in the open spaces, and we now have a map with about 10 frontline bases on each front. Now let's say there are 30 bish attacking a rook base with 10 rook defenders, and there are 30 rooks attacking a bish base with 10 bish defenders. There are 15 bish sitting in the tower looking for something to do, but don't want to spend 20 minutes flying to the target. On our current maps they would either have the choice of joining the horde attacking the rook base, or join in the defense against the rook horde at the other base. All the other frontline bases are just too long of a flight. Of course, there are 15 rooks sitting in the tower thinking the same think. With more frontline bases, all fairly close together, they would get the third choice of "Hey, anyone in the tower looking for action. Let's join up together and attack this base which has no one at it. It's only a 5 minute flight!" The 15 bish in the tower band together to attack a quiet rook base, the 15 rooks in their tower see them coming and up to defend. Now we have 3 different fights going on ON JUST ONE FRONT! There's still the entire bish/nit rook/nit fronts too!

This would, however, require people willing to break off from the hordes and spread the fight out.

I don't think that would work like you think it would. "Mesa" and the "Beta" maps have no water with long front in them and you still see the same play. It's all on the players. They play to win the war the quickest easiest way they can, and fighting has nothing to do with that. Over whelming a base with numbers works great, they have it down to a science, and it is nearly undefendable. Players would rather bail to join the next mission than fight one more fight.

pfft....playing a combat game and not engaging is lame...... only engaging when you have every advantage is lame....

I agree INK. I don't bother reading what Muzik says, he hasn't played in 2 years and hasn't got a clue. I also don't see a bunch of complaining in the game, a lot more here tho   :D In the game facts are stated and we move on. The lame plays, 75% of my filmed sorties are titled "whos runner pony", "whos runner la" and so on, also "ack hugger f6" and "gang dweebs". For every 3 lame one I get to add "NYAX KI vs NIK great fight", or some other guy who stands and fights.

I got so tired of looking for fights that weren't 6 or more to 1 Saturday that I ran off 8 achievements to earn my first star. Take about being bored!  :rolleyes:

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
But the few times I have actually gotten to fly over the last few months I have found several good fights. 

When I venture into the MAs and can't find a fight, I'll sometimes up from a lonely base - but a base near an equally lonely enemy base - and announce where I am and where I'm headed, what alt I'm at and what kind of plane I'm flying.  Usually a few opportunists, and often some old friends, will gravitate to that area.  Hey, give it a try.

- oldman

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 10:10:55 PM »

When I venture into the MAs and can't find a fight, I'll sometimes up from a lonely base - but a base near an equally lonely enemy base - and announce where I am and where I'm headed, what alt I'm at and what kind of plane I'm flying.  Usually a few opportunists, and often some old friends, will gravitate to that area.  Hey, give it a try.

- oldman

I think you might be misunderstanding me.  Unlike the OP, I haven't had any problems finding fights, but that sounds exactly like what I do.  It usually offers some pretty good 1v1s.

#S#

Josh
Tours 86 - 296

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 11:24:57 PM »
I don't think that would work like you think it would. "Mesa" and the "Beta" maps have no water with long front in them and you still see the same play. It's all on the players. They play to win the war the quickest easiest way they can, and fighting has nothing to do with that. Over whelming a base with numbers works great, they have it down to a science, and it is nearly undefendable. Players would rather bail to join the next mission than fight one more fight.

I agree INK. I don't bother reading what Muzik says, he hasn't played in 2 years and hasn't got a clue. I also don't see a bunch of complaining in the game, a lot more here tho   :D In the game facts are stated and we move on. The lame plays, 75% of my filmed sorties are titled "whos runner pony", "whos runner la" and so on, also "ack hugger f6" and "gang dweebs". For every 3 lame one I get to add "NYAX KI vs NIK great fight", or some other guy who stands and fights.

I got so tired of looking for fights that weren't 6 or more to 1 Saturday that I ran off 8 achievements to earn my first star. Take about being bored!  :rolleyes:

:rofl :aok

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 11:27:48 PM »

I agree, but it's not my money, it's theirs. I don't know what reasons they have for it. They could have something else going on. They could be ww2 veterans or handicapped and physically incapable of having any real chance at a fight except to be your punching bag. I know of at least two long time players that are handicapped.

Do they really need to confess to you that they're running because they know they can't beat you any other way? Will that make you feel big? Then will you forgive them if they bow down publicly?

The final question is, how's that "truth stating" working at solving the problem for you?

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Ripley

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »
I dont see how anyone can expect to get a good fight out of the MA.

In my last 2 months of playing 80% of the time I get into a good engagement with someone, along someone else will come and ruin the fight/take a wing off of me/my opponent while we are in the middle of a white knuckle engagement. And nothing tweeks me more than outflying a p38 in an ACM fight, shooting out one of his engines, knocking off an elevator, an aileron, etc only to be 3 pinged and towered by someone flying in from 6k out before I can finish him off.

But hey, that's the MA for you. You either dont get yourself into a situation like that or you accept the probable consequences when you do. And you can bet your arse I will take advantage of any enemy con that gets themselves into that situation and fixated on someones 6 unless that someone calls me off because most of the time that con wouldnt have given me the same respect.
Ripley

4th Fighter Group "Debden Eagles"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
How about someone bribe Pyro or HiTech to put CraterMA up in the LWMA, watch this thread and the gripes sink down, and player moral boost up.  :aok  :bolt:
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 03:55:37 PM »
How about someone bribe Pyro or HiTech to put CraterMA up in the LWMA, watch this thread and the gripes sink down, and player moral boost up.  :aok  :bolt:

Because A2A combat will sink to a minimum while the majority of combat will happen on the ground in the shooting galley called "crater"?  ;)

(Btw, only 2 map resets until CraterMa is up again...)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 04:21:13 PM »
Because A2A combat will sink to a minimum while the majority of combat will happen on the ground in the shooting galley called "crater"?  ;)

(Btw, only 2 map resets until CraterMa is up again...)

And what do you think is currently happening on the current map in the shooting gallery called "uterus"?  :D

Crater is one of those unique maps, it encourages players doing the GV or A2A thing and does a great job a generating all types of action (and on a map, unlike the current one (and others), that doesn't spread the action out across a square-parsec of real estate and ocean).

PS - My real only gripe with the current map, particularly with it having ~250 capturable fields, is that a good number (maybe a majority?) have the fields/bases stacked right ontop of or next to the towns.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.