Author Topic: P38 Firepower Seems Lame  (Read 1655 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: P38 Firepower Seems Lame
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 11:54:36 AM »
I've spent the last 6 months working on my aim. I can finally hold my hit% in the 5 range most of the month. Which if you read Lusche's tables means I'm above average  :neener:

I'm not a hunter, nor could I ever shoot hoops, nor many other sports that involved "aiming" (other than hockey, I could aim a puck  :devil ) so this "aiming thing has always been a problem for me. It is however "trainable". The problem as Del mentioned is the time involved. You could spend hundreds of hours to get it tuned in, take a break for a week or so and be pretty much back to square one. It comes back quicker, but if your not spending the time, it is hard to get good at it. Seeing I have a life outside of this game.... I know, I keep trying to get rid of it but the wife is pretty insistent I stick with it! My aim has pretty much always been terrible.

Some tips for those looking for the magic aim point. (there really are a couple hundred of them if you really want to know).

Film your fights and watch for when you shoot. Everyone has a place they like to shoot at, your place may not be the same as theirs! Me, I shoot at 400-450 most times. I fly more "energy" type planes than I do turners and so my passes are setup shot more than snap shots. So I set my convergence at 425. SET YOUR CONVERGENCE WHERE YOU SHOOT!   If some hot shot sets his at 225 and you never get that close to a guy that convergence is going to hurt you.

Sites, I went back and forth with Bustr on sites and aiming. What I learned is I really don't have ANY idea what he is talking about most of the time  :D He has studied this stuff a long time and knows it inside out. If you have any questions, send him a note, but be warned, what he sends back often doesn't make sense for a while. What I did learn is that the bullet drop does come into play in this game.... gravity sucks! While I KNOW there is a drop I found myself still putting the pipper ON the target in a "6" shot and never hitting. I have since adjusted my site so the pipper sits "that" much lower so I don't have to remember.

Most shots are "crossing" type of shots. Figuring "lead" has always been a big issue for me. More often than not I was behind and with some rudder kick I might hit their tail.  :( By watching my films, and other players as well, I figured out that in most crossing shots that I set up, at my 400 range and basic normal speed of my passes (yes all that comes into play which is why there are hundreds of "magic aim points"), if I started firing when the nose of the enemy plane touched my HUD glass I was in the "ballpark" for my lead. I added a circle as big as I could get on the site and now have a "marker" that I can see (yellow ring as apposed to the edge of the HUD art work) that clues me in for when I need to shoot by.

Third is your stick controls. If your controls are "bouncy" your going to be spraying all over the place. Most of it can be adjusted out. Hook up with Morph in the TA. He will fly right behind you and watch your surfaces and tell you which one are moving when you shoot. He got most of mine cleaned up and the only real bounce I have left is the adrenalin I have when I get in close for my shot   :D

These are the things I did and worked on over the last 6 months that have helped me. There is no magic convergence, there is no magic aim point, there is no magic stick setup, there is no magic move to set up that kill shot. I have adapted my aim to the way I fly, not adapted my flying to how others aim. Watch your films and adjust to how you fly. You can watch other films as well, but learn aiming from those that fly more like you do. Case in point, I have a few films of Greebo in his F6. While the F6 isn't really an energy fighter (it does pretty well used that way tho) for a lot of Greebos shots he is in a stance that looks very close to a energy pass. He flies with great SA, maneuvers when someone makes a pass and is more often than not lined up for a crossing shot as the bandit completes his pass. has speed, and angle being very close what I would have on a pass and so his "lead" looks a lot like the one I use. On the other hand Soulyss seems to almost be sitting in the other plane before he shoots!

The point here is to adjust how YOU aim to how YOU fly.    

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 02:51:53 PM »
  The firepower of the P-38 is pretty deadly.  My aim, on the other hand, is awful.  If I can actually hit my target, I do lots of damage.

Randy, I have seen you fly a few times.  You are getting pretty good.  Don't give up on this wonderful plane.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »
p38 has my favourite gun package :old:
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
p38 has my favourite gun package :old:
More than the Mossie's?  You sure you're from New Zealand?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »
More than the Mossie's?  You sure you're from New Zealand?

I'm from England. :airplane:
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 04:15:27 PM »

See, the voices in my head told me not to like you!

:rofl

<---- English/Scot descendant
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Randy, if you want your aim to be good, you need to work on it. Aim is a very perishable skill and tends to be the first one to go after a Aces High vacation.

Work on the drones offline until you can 'one pass' them from any angle at any speed; those drones take more damage than planes normally can and keep flying. When you start putting the entire package of the 38 together, I'd recommend considering turning off tracers. Too many people aim with the tracers instead of gunsight, not to mention it gives the bandit warning and can even tell him which way to jink to avoid fire.

edit:

One more thing, gun accuracy can save your bacon and is arguably the most important skill in Aces High. For example, earlier this week I was flying along in a low speed climb and I didn't realize that my icons were off.  I looked around briefly and saw an aircraft dropping down on my 6 o'clock. I sloppily broke hard into him and fortunately he missed, as I could now tell he was a 109K.

I waited for him to come back down and desperately tried to build up my energy reserves. He came down, dropped beneath me for a moment and I had less than a second for a snapshot. I got lucky and the rounds I fired entered the cockpit. If I missed, I would of been nose low against a 109K with alt and angles on me, aka 'deadmeat'.

QFT

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »
One more thing, gun accuracy can save your bacon and is arguably the most important skill in Aces High. For example, earlier this week I was flying along in a low speed climb and I didn't realize that my icons were off.  I looked around briefly and saw an aircraft dropping down on my 6 o'clock. I sloppily broke hard into him and fortunately he missed, as I could now tell he was a 109K.

I waited for him to come back down and desperately tried to build up my energy reserves. He came down, dropped beneath me for a moment and I had less than a second for a snapshot. I got lucky and the rounds I fired entered the cockpit. If I missed, I would of been nose low against a 109K with alt and angles on me, aka 'deadmeat'.

I remember that  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »
That fails as an excuse in this case.  :p
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 07:30:10 PM »
Randy, if you want your aim to be good, you need to work on it. Aim is a very perishable skill and tends to be the first one to go after a Aces High vacation.

I didnt play for most of Feb and now I can't get a kill in a 38 to save my life. I thought my aim was bad before my break. Now it is unbearable and making me dislike the game (because clearly its the games fault  :lol)

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 07:41:45 PM »
...(because clearly its the games fault  :lol)

YES!! YESS!!!

Finally.  Someone who understands!   :old:
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 08:16:17 PM »

Maybe it is just me but the P38 seems to be castrated.

It's just you.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 08:29:13 PM »
Maybe it is just me but the P38 seems to be castrated.

If you think P38 is castrated, try a Yak U for a while then go back to the P38 it will feel like a GAU-8 has been strapped to the nose.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 07:23:30 AM »
I was reading all the great replies and trying to take them all in as they are filled with good advice. Yap, I did screw up the names.  It was the Seafire off the CV.

I should have worded my thoughts better.  I sure didn't mean to downgrade the P38.  Thank you Delirium for help straightening out my intent.

I was trying to figure out why the Seafire seemed to have more destructive power than the P38.  After going through the replies,  I understand the error in my thoughts. 

One notable point is I was able to get closer, quicker for shots with the great turning Seafire in the furball like situations I was in taking off from the CV.  So it was really an apple, orange situation when comparing the Seafire to the P38.  Add to that, my poor shooting skills.  I thank you all for the suggested ways to get better.  I will take them all to heart.  Practice, practice, practice.

Last night I also made a couple of changes that helped with the visual aspect of the shot.  Bustr posted a P51 sight that I really liked.  As Fugitive noted a sight is no magic bullet but this one seemed to fit in my style.  Second, Latrobe posted a thread on FOV.  I have tried going up with the FOV but had not tried down.  I set the FOV to 95 after a few trials.  This FOV gave me a better view for shoot making.  These two changes had me taking wings off with the P38.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 07:32:55 AM »
FOV is probably the most over looked thing when it comes to gunnery skill. Just like you, I was turning it up more and more thinking I'd be able to line up crossing shots better. Little did I know, more does not equal better.  :o