Author Topic: Metal Skin B-29 ready for submission  (Read 2198 times)

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
Metal Skin B-29 ready for submission
« on: April 07, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »
Hi all,

Well I have finished my first batch of skins for Aces High! Here is a preview of 2 of the 4 skins that I will be submitting this month.

Been a really challenge to get the balance right between what the real aircraft in the Smithsonian (Enola Gay) the only metal B29 I could get loads of high definition images and what the resolution that Aces High can show.
Enola Gay actually shows quite a few rivets and I have tried to show this. I have also tried to add a slight distortion in the surface to stop it looking like an unpainted drinks can.

The Spearhead

T.N.Teeney.II

ADDED AFTER ORIGNIAL POSTING - FUTURE PLANS TO RELEAST TEMPLATE

when I have produced all the skins which I am looking to make I will be making available to all AH Users a template of the above skin one which you can put your own noseart and marking on. These will be available in. PSD file holding a three image files need or for those with out photoshop in another suitable file formate for those with out .
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:24:50 PM by HornetUK »
Hornet Paint Shop Skins: Now Ingame  B-29  B-24  B-17     Current Project

Member of the 97th Bomb Group

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Metal Skin B-29 ready for submission
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »
Oh he is doing the skin as well? Has he started it?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
+10 Awesome. :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
its too bright underneath. fix your material file.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
It effects the look of it in the air and effects the other all shine as well
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:00:28 PM by HornetUK »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
I was indeed working on that. You seem to have made it to the finish line first.

However your overall quality of your bare metal work needs a lot of revising. It's way too glowingly bright and way too mirror-reflectively clean.

Your metal finish just looks wrong. If you made a decent product out of it I have no problems with somebody beating me to the punch, but it has to actually look decent.

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:17:11 PM »
Well we are all intitled to our own opinion but I would at least of had the manner to have said something slightly more diplomatic about someone first skin
Funny really you should say about decent skins I have thought you had done really rather better on your before you start to be so critical of others work.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:20:23 PM by HornetUK »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »
Not bad for a first effort. But, like the others said, your bare metal effect is way over stated. The reflectivity and brightness need to be turned way down. I'd also adjust the contrast of your darker panels: a more subtle change in color and darkness will give a better appearance. I suggest looking at some of the better bare metal skins are done by other skinners, particularly Greebo, Fester, and Cactus. Get an idea of how they do their basic metal work, view their skins in the film viewer with max resolution, but with shadows and other add on updates turned off. There are excellent color photos for reference as to how the color and finish of this aircraft. I would keep making adjustments to your skin until the skin reflects the appearance of the real plane, which at the moment it does not. I see potential for a great skin, but if this is the final product, it is not even mediocre in my book. 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
Thanks for your comments, they are apreceated. It odd how opinions differ, I have people on one hand in my squad that have seen bockcar and the like how like the shines ness then there are people who don't. I don't really like the bear metal skins in this game, they just don't look matalic to me they do not look real. Now that is just my opinion. Ther are still many great skins, but not everyone likes every skin. It is all a mater of taste hay. One mans meat is another possion. It has taken me 3 months of development to get to this point. I have made 3 virision and 100's of miner adjustments to get to where I am the skin was a ALOT shinier when I started and it is still developing. Wish we could get the enola gay out in the sun and see how shinny she really is as that is where i got my 100 high def pictures from.

I have submitted my 4 skins but I plan to update them as I discover new tricks. The important things is my squad love it and we plan to fly it together in missions.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:52:11 PM by HornetUK »

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:41 PM »
welcome to the frying pan hornet... its called an art critique and its generally non political and very critical. you should take pride in people taking the time to bother it indicates your project could turn out as somthing of merit but that it is still a work in progress that needs more progress.

your blasting krusty for being a no skill hack might indicate you could be a good art critic too. but krusty is also a good art critic regardless of your opinion of his work.

and as for me... i rarely critique anything. and I only use skins from a very small group of skinners that make near photorealistic skins anyway so it dosnt matter to me really.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 08:06:18 PM »
It effects the look of it in the air and effects the other all shine as well

then why post pics of it on the runway..post pics of it above cloud layer at 30k then?

and why are the painted sections reflecting a mirror finish?

mask them off with a less glossy finish or somthing.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 08:15:30 PM »
however if I end up having to encounter another glowing neon turd like that b17 skin from a while back at 30k because some other player likes to be extra sparkly as i shoot all 3 of their b29s down I will be very angry at that player and make their loss of so many perk points extra quick for blinding me with their unrealistic interpretation of realism.

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 08:20:11 PM »
Have no problem with critics just can't stand it when negativity is all you get with no encouragement or useful comments.

Oh the painted section are white it is very diffult to get to look white when it is so shinny.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:23:18 PM by HornetUK »

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »
Have no problem with critics just can't stand it when negativity is all you get with no encouragement or useful comments.

Oh the painted section are white it is very diffult to get to look white when it is so shinny.

cough cut n paste painted layers and make them black in reflection map cough. hard.

what really makes me angry is that unrealistic green block of mountain behind your neon plane though. I'm in the process of sculpting 500 square miles of a main arena terrain and stuff like that makes me more angry than a glowing airplane.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:23:21 PM by Citabria »