Author Topic: Metal Skin B-29 ready for submission  (Read 2199 times)

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
Re: Metal Skin B-29 ready for submission
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »
Lol it does not glow in any way that it will hide anything. You can see it at any angle and see thing that are in front of it. I have tested that. I would never want my skin to be seen as a cheat. I am honest playing person.
Hornet Paint Shop Skins: Now Ingame  B-29  B-24  B-17     Current Project

Member of the 97th Bomb Group

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »
What i don't like is that the reflections are WAY to clear, now im no skinner but from looking a pictures of the enola gay the reflections are the same type of glow but not so clear i mean its no a mirror.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
you do realize you can mask off the painted sections and even have different reflection amounts all over your plane right?

you can even add dirt and make it less reflective... panel lines do not reflect! they are gaps in the plane (very small ones lol).

you can make each panel a slightly different reflection value make oil stains less reflective...

and on top of all that you have BUMP MAPPING... you can even make deformations in the aluminum skin that show up in the reflection with the available tools.

you can even prebake your texturemap with basic light and dark values and even colors like sky and ground...

save the texturemap of the default b17g i made before all this reflectionmap and bumpmap fancy tools were added and everything had to be baked in to create the illusion of reflection.

its an old skin but even with reflections turned off for the crappy computer crowd it suspends your disbelief of portraying what a bare metal b17 looks like.

don't let a failure of imagination stop you... copping out and saying things can't be done because they are difficult when you just have to figure out how to do them separates the really well crafted work from the hobbyists who just enjoy making skins that they and their squad like.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
Wish we could get the enola gay out in the sun and see how shinny she really is as that is where i got my 100 high def pictures from.
Point of advice: Reference pics of restored aircraft are nearly useless. They almost never replicate the actual condition of the wartime aircraft. Yes the bare metal planes had a shine, but they were not mirrors. Realistically, they should be no more reflective than a steak knife.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 02:28:51 AM »
Ok chaps so let's go back here a bit , what you saying and I don't know if you have seen her but my aircraft should look more like bockcar restoration which is far more of a mat retalic look rather than Enola gay which is allmost polished metal which looks like it has had one of those polishing wheels go over it!

Ok fester yes I do know you can mask areas off but with the background being so shinny and my b291.bmp file being so light when you do add a different level of madness in the spec sheet it makes it go profoundly gray. I know how to change that.

Hopefully with a reduced shine we will have a reduced perspetion of glow. Ok

So I have submitted 3 skins already, so I guess once they have been acpted and put in the game next month I will be able to update them with the ulterations for the following month? Is that how it works?

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 08:31:44 AM »
Ok chaps so let's go back here a bit , what you saying and I don't know if you have seen her but my aircraft should look more like bockcar restoration which is far more of a mat retalic look rather than Enola gay which is allmost polished metal which looks like it has had one of those polishing wheels go over it!

Ok fester yes I do know you can mask areas off but with the background being so shinny and my b291.bmp file being so light when you do add a different level of madness in the spec sheet it makes it go profoundly gray. I know how to change that.

Hopefully with a reduced shine we will have a reduced perspetion of glow. Ok

So I have submitted 3 skins already, so I guess once they have been acpted and put in the game next month I will be able to update them with the ulterations for the following month? Is that how it works?

Basically, all war-time aircraft or planes that are flown, in general, will have some wear and tear, dirt, exhaust/oil stains, etc on them.

Wind, dirt, sand, debris all contribute to degrading the finish of even the best and most dutifully maintained aircraft.

The devil is in the details.

Stains around the fuel filler
Scuffs from pilot/ground crew walking on the wing.
Dirt from the wheels on the belly and all around the landing gear area (what kind of dirt?  grass field, sandy island dirt, etc?)
Scratches from loading ordinance on the plane.
and on and on and on and on...

Reflections will be different on different parts of the airplane as well.  The aluminum will also have developed a patina over time and usage making different parts of the plane shinier than others.

You could spend a month on details alone.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »
OK Chaps New images for you, now before you all say something I have not done all the panels on the aircraft just tried to get the over all effect to start with and then blend other part later on.

Tried to reduce the mirror, add more shaddow under aircraft, blend some of the aircraft body panels mask out the top white tip on tail

Yes totally agree about wear and tear done some marks under and over wing still working the rest out.

Everything On

With Everything Off

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 11:02:26 PM »
That looks much better in terms of the reflection, I myself still feel it could use a slight touch of patina. I don't know what kind of service the plane saw so that will be a judgement on your part.

Edit:
Taking a closer look, I can see that it looks like you did add some patina to the skin. I would say go a little heavier on the exhaust stains around the engines since it would have been exposed for such a long period during flight. Otherwise, looking good.  :aok
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:05:39 PM by Dragon Tamer »

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 03:16:21 AM »
Problem is that people in my squad think it looks nothing like metal just paint lol

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 08:58:07 AM »
Looks like metal from where I'm sitting. If you go into the kitchen and rip off a piece of aluminum foil, you will be able to make out a few objects in the reflection but it won't look like a mirror. Even polished metal can only reflect so much, and turtle wax is hard to get on the front lines.  :)

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 09:05:48 AM »
yes but I still do not think that it truly looks like metal, there is something very fake about it at least if there is more of a reflection it looks far more metallic. I think I am just expecting to much from the graphics engine. The are some simulator which really can simulate metallic surfaces to being so realistic they look REAL. But there we go I guess what one should say is that it is a question of a comprises and the individual and your squad feel is the best finish would you not agree?

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
So say enola gay the most famous bare metal b-29 of them all, why are you able clearly to see the wing and engines on the aicraft as shows? and this image is after the war.

Plus We must also alow for these being poor images but it is still very clear even with there lack of fine detail

http://vintageairphotos.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/enola-gay-on-tinian.html (click on the image in this to get a better look)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom-margie/2988191568/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/target_man_2000/5556188061/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/target_man_2000/5556772210/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/target_man_2000/5556771776/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/target_man_2000/5556185941/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:46:04 PM by HornetUK »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
yes but I still do not think that it truly looks like metal, there is something very fake about it at least if there is more of a reflection it looks far more metallic. I think I am just expecting to much from the graphics engine. The are some simulator which really can simulate metallic surfaces to being so realistic they look REAL. But there we go I guess what one should say is that it is a question of a comprises and the individual and your squad feel is the best finish would you not agree?
What I would try doing is changing the color of your aluminum on the base bitmap. Find a nice medium gray, the color you chose is much too light. Then, on the upper surfaces tint the your metal blue and green on the undersides. This tinting should be barely noticeable. Then panel by panel adjust the lightness of the metal up or down, this should be more noticeable than the blue/green tinting. This should give the metal a nice, subtle, varied appearance.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »
in the last 3 months i have tried loads of process like that sir, thanks for your help but me and my squad like it the way it is really.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 08:02:17 AM »
in the last 3 months i have tried loads of process like that sir, thanks for your help but me and my squad like it the way it is really.

Well then I am really confused, now.

Problem is that people in my squad think it looks nothing like metal just paint lol

:headscratch:
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.