Author Topic: Thinking of coming back to AH...  (Read 786 times)

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Thinking of coming back to AH...
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
Well, it has been a long time (5 years  :O ) since I flew the not so friendly skies of AH and lately I have been thinking of coming back.  I am about to get a new rig and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions or feedback.

I am going to get a laptop because it will fit all of my uses (being able to travel with it, user it in various places around the house, etc).  It will serve double-duty as my gaming platform and then for home office/entertainment purposes.

So, here are the specs of what I am looking for:
Intel i7 2.4 GHz CPU
8 GB DDR 3 RAM (or more if the price is not a killer)
500 GB HDD space
4 USB ports
14" Screen ok, 15" to 16" would be great, but don't really care about getting a 17"
Need at least a DVD/CD drive (read/write)

I have looked at Alienware, Dell, Asus, MSI and Lenovo.  While Lenovo has one rig that include an SLI set up it is at the cost of a DVD drive (you have to buy it separate).  Alienware is sweet, but pricey!  Dell is nice, but I am not familiar with them at all (other than negative comments from some friends).  There is a Asus model I really like and am leaning toward, but trying to see if I can get more back for my $$$.

My questions:
Windows 8 or Windows 7 (and is AH2 supported on both of these platforms)?
Anyone use a laptop for AH2?  What is your experience and recommendations?
Anyone have some suggestions of what manufacturer or retailer to look at?
Any suggestions of what laptop to purchase?

My budget is $1500  (I can fudge a little on this, but purposely trying to not go overboard).  Lower is better, and $1800 would have to include a fat diamond to keep the misses happy  :lol

I also am looking for something that will be good for the next 3 or more years.  I am not looking to play a ton of games.  Mostly AH and a few other titles, but I need it to be robust enough to make it worth the money I put into it.

I know this is a book, so I'll end now.  Any ideas, suggestions, feedback would be appreciated.

<S>
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: Thinking of coming back to AH...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
Personally I would recommend either the ASUS ROG G75 line of gaming laptops, or the MSI GT70 series.  Both are dedicated gaming systems, available in both 15 and 17" sizes.  They have many models available in each line, but you can easily get one under your 1500$ budget.   The MSI system has a dedicated gaming keyboard from SteelSeries, and a bunch of other "gamy" sort of stuff.  I've had good luck with the ASUS ROG laptops, my wife uses ours every day and it's about a year old now and has been 100% reliable, and can play everything I've tried on it so far at pretty high detail levels.

One thing regarding SLI.  I have an SLI system, and if you're main focus is Aces High, don't let SLI influence your decision too much, as the SLI profile for AH2 isn't the best, and I've found not a whole lot of performance difference if I disable SLI and just use one video card, as opposed to having both up and running in SLI.  In a laptop, it would probably be even less of a noticeable difference.  Both of the laptops I recommend have the 670 or 675 GTX nVidia video cards, which will let you play AH2 at close to max detail with near max 60fps much of the time.

As far as Windows goes, if you buy a factory notebook, you're likely going to be stuck with Win8.  There are a few manufacturers of custom gaming laptops that will let you select win7 still, but very few.  Windows 8 unfortunately will likely be what you're getting, and although I much prefer win7 as many others do here, you CAN get around in Windows 8 alright and make it functional enough for gaming purposes.  I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep over it either way, unless you're really into the finer points of computing and such.  I got stuck with win8 on one of my factory systems too, and although as I said I much prefer operating with win7, I eventually go used to it, and can view Netlix in "super hd" as opposed to normal resolution due to Windows 8's netflix app, which Win7 users can't have.  So there is a small bonus there, but that's it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152365

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230580

There are a good couple of options.  The G75 one is on sale for 34% off right now, under 1050$.  It has the 660 instead of the 670 video card, and the 670 one is about 1400$, still under your budget, but for 750$ under your max, you can get a laptop that will play the crap out of AH2 or anything else, and last you your three years probably without too much trouble.  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:21:14 PM by Gman »

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I am thinking of going with the following:
ASUS G55VW-DH71

Camera: Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
Display: 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 660M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
Memory Card Reader: Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS)
Operating System: WINDOWS 8 Pro - (64-bit installed w/Clean Install DVD + Drivers disk included)
Optical Drive Bay: Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software
Primary Hard Drive: 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
Processor: 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3630QM (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP)
Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-444DP] (Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB SODIMMS))
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
Wireless Network: Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth 4.0
Backlit Keyboard: Standard White Backlit Keyboard
4 x USB 3.0 Ports

I can get this for right inside my budget.  I am thinking of paying to have Windows 8 Pro installed and to get the media in case I need to reinstall (that's the geek in me).

What do you think?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:56:50 PM »
Personally I would recommend either the ASUS ROG G75 line of gaming laptops, or the MSI GT70 series.  Both are dedicated gaming systems, available in both 15 and 17" sizes.  They have many models available in each line, but you can easily get one under your 1500$ budget.   The MSI system has a dedicated gaming keyboard from SteelSeries, and a bunch of other "gamy" sort of stuff.  I've had good luck with the ASUS ROG laptops, my wife uses ours every day and it's about a year old now and has been 100% reliable, and can play everything I've tried on it so far at pretty high detail levels.

One thing regarding SLI.  I have an SLI system, and if you're main focus is Aces High, don't let SLI influence your decision too much, as the SLI profile for AH2 isn't the best, and I've found not a whole lot of performance difference if I disable SLI and just use one video card, as opposed to having both up and running in SLI.  In a laptop, it would probably be even less of a noticeable difference.  Both of the laptops I recommend have the 670 or 675 GTX nVidia video cards, which will let you play AH2 at close to max detail with near max 60fps much of the time.

As far as Windows goes, if you buy a factory notebook, you're likely going to be stuck with Win8.  There are a few manufacturers of custom gaming laptops that will let you select win7 still, but very few.  Windows 8 unfortunately will likely be what you're getting, and although I much prefer win7 as many others do here, you CAN get around in Windows 8 alright and make it functional enough for gaming purposes.  I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep over it either way, unless you're really into the finer points of computing and such.  I got stuck with win8 on one of my factory systems too, and although as I said I much prefer operating with win7, I eventually go used to it, and can view Netlix in "super hd" as opposed to normal resolution due to Windows 8's netflix app, which Win7 users can't have.  So there is a small bonus there, but that's it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152365

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230580

There are a good couple of options.  The G75 one is on sale for 34% off right now, under 1050$.  It has the 660 instead of the 670 video card, and the 670 one is about 1400$, still under your budget, but for 750$ under your max, you can get a laptop that will play the crap out of AH2 or anything else, and last you your three years probably without too much trouble.  

My wife has the G75 and I can verify it's pretty nice for a laptop. And it has lasted in once piece almost a year already which is good for my wifes laptop :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 01:47:14 AM »
Should be good to go with that Blammo, that 660 video card will let you play AH2 at very high detail, probably almost max, or maxed right out if you don't mind the odd dip into the low 50's or very high 40's when around tons of cons, smoke, and gv's at the same time.  If you run it with everything maxed, but the reflections slider 2 from the max/left, you'll be fine, even with shadows cranked, 2048 textures, and every option turned on.  Many people I know who game on laptops actually prefer the 15" over the 17", for a number of different reasons.  IMO you will barely notice the difference between the two, and I know you mentioned in the OP that you didn't mind the 15" over the 17", and that ROG notebook you're planning on is essentially the same thing as the G75 myself and the previous poster are running.  Best of luck coming back.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:49:27 AM by Gman »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:10:55 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I am thinking of going with the following:
ASUS G55VW-DH71

Camera: Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
Display: 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 660M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
Memory Card Reader: Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS)
Operating System: WINDOWS 8 Pro - (64-bit installed w/Clean Install DVD + Drivers disk included)
Optical Drive Bay: Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software
Primary Hard Drive: 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
Processor: 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3630QM (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP)
Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-444DP] (Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB SODIMMS))
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
Wireless Network: Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth 4.0
Backlit Keyboard: Standard White Backlit Keyboard
4 x USB 3.0 Ports

I can get this for right inside my budget.  I am thinking of paying to have Windows 8 Pro installed and to get the media in case I need to reinstall (that's the geek in me).

What do you think?

You're definately doing the right choice when wanting the install media without OEM bloatware in it. Some would argue that you'd do better with Win7 but my personal experience with Win8 has been very good. The interface does take a bit of learning so if you're easily irritated either get Win7 or install startisback, start8 or similar GUI 'fix' for Windows8. Personally I could do just fine with the default UI in Win8.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »
I recently (like this week) came back to AH using a new Asus G75, and I can honestly say its a beast!  Purchased at Best Buy for 1250.00 plus tax, and it's running everything at max (although I've turned off shadows).  Here are the specs:

Features
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM processor
Features a 6MB L3 cache and 2.4GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't.
8GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 32GB.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
Lets you create custom DVDs and CDs.
17.3" LED-backlit TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display
With 1920 x 1080 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
1TB hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
NVIDIA GTX 670MX graphics
Feature 3GB GDDR5 dedicated video memory for lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for flexible connectivity options.
Built-in 1.0MP webcam
Along with a microphone makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.
Multiformat media reader
Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Smart Media and xD-Picture Card formats.
4 USB 3.0 ports
Along with an Intel® Thunderbolt interface for fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11ac)
Connect to the Internet without wires.
Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
Weighs 9.2 lbs. and measures just 2" thin
For portable power. Chiclet-style, backlit keyboard with an integrated numeric keypad for comfortable typing and data entry, even in low-light conditions.
Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit operating system
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline LeDragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 02:13:21 PM »
BLAMMO!

and 5.0?

The stars in some kinda funky alignment or what?

C'mon back Blammo, LilMak got the JUGS fired back up about 2 months ago.

Nate, Dayton Gathering in June this year.  :cheers:
I was playing with J.U.G.S. before your mothers' started lactating for you.
Yes... thats what I was looking at. Just expecting more hood and less head if you understand me.  
     :O

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »
before you buy windows 8 go to your local computer store and play around with it for a bit.  it is so different than win7 to the point that it is frustrating.  having to pay for media player on top isnt fun either.

look at all the threads about win7 vs win 8 here.  there's been a couple of them if it helps.  but I wouldnt get win8.  I think mrripley is the only one (almost) who gives it a positive review.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FA_Refugee

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
to OP...now you have everything you need to return and start having fun!

:noid
Weizel

"Vodka without beer and truffles is like throwing money in the wind."

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 08:50:06 PM »
Hey, LeDragon.  Yeah, it will be good to get flying again.  It has been a long time and it will be good to kick it around with you guys again.

<S>

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »
Well, it has been a long time (5 years  :O ) since I flew the not so friendly skies of AH and lately I have been thinking of coming back.  I am about to get a new rig and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions or feedback.

I am going to get a laptop because it will fit all of my uses (being able to travel with it, user it in various places around the house, etc).  It will serve double-duty as my gaming platform and then for home office/entertainment purposes.

So, here are the specs of what I am looking for:
Intel i7 2.4 GHz CPU
8 GB DDR 3 RAM (or more if the price is not a killer)
500 GB HDD space
4 USB ports
14" Screen ok, 15" to 16" would be great, but don't really care about getting a 17"
Need at least a DVD/CD drive (read/write)

I have looked at Alienware, Dell, Asus, MSI and Lenovo.  While Lenovo has one rig that include an SLI set up it is at the cost of a DVD drive (you have to buy it separate).  Alienware is sweet, but pricey!  Dell is nice, but I am not familiar with them at all (other than negative comments from some friends).  There is a Asus model I really like and am leaning toward, but trying to see if I can get more back for my $$$.

My questions:
Windows 8 or Windows 7 (and is AH2 supported on both of these platforms)?
Anyone use a laptop for AH2?  What is your experience and recommendations?
Anyone have some suggestions of what manufacturer or retailer to look at?
Any suggestions of what laptop to purchase?

My budget is $1500  (I can fudge a little on this, but purposely trying to not go overboard).  Lower is better, and $1800 would have to include a fat diamond to keep the misses happy  :lol

I also am looking for something that will be good for the next 3 or more years.  I am not looking to play a ton of games.  Mostly AH and a few other titles, but I need it to be robust enough to make it worth the money I put into it.

I know this is a book, so I'll end now.  Any ideas, suggestions, feedback would be appreciated.

<S>

That machine will do it for you.  The only thing you might want to consider is an SSD for your primary (C) drive.  The computer will be SO much faster.

I just started back in AH myself - after 8-9 years.  Holy shat the game has changed.  And, I don't know anyone in the MA (or LWA) save a few.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011