Author Topic: Ki-44  (Read 902 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Ki-44
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 09:25:30 AM »
More Japanese planes is generally good.

However, I hope it will be nothing like the KI43/Brew. I have developed a strong resentment of the KI43s that like to come along and jump in when some K4/La7/P51 force me to slow down and fight them. I now target them at a priority much higher then their actual threat just to prevent them from getting a free kill on me. It is silly, but a KI43 in the area keeps me more worried than a KI84.
Barring the Ki-27 or A5M, all of the ultra-turny Japanese fighters have been added.  The Ki-44 and J2M were both interceptors with, for Japanese standards, high wing loading.  The Japanese twin engined fighters are also not supposed to be stellar turners.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »
Barring the Ki-27 or A5M, all of the ultra-turny Japanese fighters have been added.  The Ki-44 and J2M were both interceptors with, for Japanese standards, high wing loading.  The Japanese twin engined fighters are also not supposed to be stellar turners.
Good.
Request approved by Bozon.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
One interesting thing about the Ki-44 is during the annual Evaluation of fighters, the Japanese Navy/Army put the Zero up against the Ki-44, the Army boosted it was a far better fighter plane. After the disaster of a show for the army, they tried everything to increase performance and such. Top Speed was only 389mph however all tests were done without armament etc. Early 44's were armed with a pair of 7.7 and 12.7mm machine guns.

Pilots were not happy with the lack of manoeuverability and high speed landings, it was troublesome for veteran pilots and like the corsair - deadly to green pilots

It was tested in fights against the 109E/2 and Curtiss P40-E in which the SHoki did outstanding.

Its interesting to note - The Ki.44 would of done great intercepting B17s and B24s over Japan, however with the arrival of the B-29 it was simply outmatched.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:55:26 AM by Butcher »
JG 52

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
z
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 10:06:58 AM »
More Japanese planes is generally good.

However, I hope it will be nothing like the KI43/Brew. I have developed a strong resentment of the KI43s that like to come along and jump in when some K4/La7/P51 force me to slow down and fight them. I now target them at a priority much higher then their actual threat just to prevent them from getting a free kill on me. It is silly, but a KI43 in the area keeps me more worried than a KI84.

Its fun flying an Oscar in a 8 vs 1. Having ponies, LA's and K4's doing 500mph passes....what a blast...more cons from more directions than you can keep track of.

I feel for all those that get trapped by a Oscar or Zeke while in a plane that won the war  :bolt:

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC