Author Topic: No Icons for enemy  (Read 10810 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: No Icons for enemy
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »
I wasn't trying to bad mouth the AvA arena. You guys work hard to pull people in. The only think that keeps me out is the low numbers. All I was trying to say was that there are some players who fly the AvA arena because they think that is the way a WWII arena should be set up. mustangs dont fight mustangs! They believe it soooo strongly that they don't/can't see that others want to play the game just to have the chance to shoot a bunch of people down.

That's true.  I did find it puzzling myself. No one decides to check this game out after reading or watching a documentary about the great Corsair vs Mustang battles of WWII. You would think the AvA would have a built in advantage, but now I know that most folks don't care a lot about that.  

While numbers do draw numbers, that preference has to be there from the start or the AvA would be considered the main arena.

I think some of the more controversial posts by AvA folks are sort of a misguided attempt to appeal to players with a challenge, rather than true elitism.

I have toyed with the idea of making a severely bastardized huge map representing all the main theaters of war at once and enable all the planes in the more or less correct areas, so that one could always find his favorite plane, but would still be most likely to encounter historical opponents.

I may still try that someday for the hell of it, but I don't think it would help a lot.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:41:00 AM by jimson »

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2013, 03:09:17 PM »
hey idiot! ya you seano! We understand that YOU understand that doing this in the Main arena would be bad. What YOU don't seem to understand is that even if HTC went through the trouble of setting up the arena you "wish" for you wouldn't get 100 players at a time in there. You would get the 10-20 guys who think no enemy icons are cool and even then most of those would leave as the numbers would be so low that targets would be hard to find. Even guys who who like the idea of no enemy icons would rather fly in a target rich arena with icons on over that. I'd bet you couldn't fill a custom arena if you set one up.

I wasn't trying to bad mouth the AvA arena. You guys work hard to pull people in. The only think that keeps me out is the low numbers. All I was trying to say was that there are some players who fly the AvA arena because they think that is the way a WWII arena should be set up. mustangs dont fight mustangs! They believe it soooo strongly that they don't/can't see that others want to play the game just to have the chance to shoot a bunch of people down. The same can be said about some in the main arenas as well, some believe that it is a waste of time and energy to drop bombs on buildings and guns and take base. They believe it soooo strongly that they don't/can't see that others want to play the game to win the war.

seano is determined he is right and this new arena will take off, even after Hitech posted that it would hurt to try it. Most of the post in here point out why it won't work yet blindly he continues on.

what hitech posted was to change the settings in the current arena. please explain to me how having a no icon late war arena running alongside the other 4 arenas  would hurt the gameplay and the check book. there really is only one way to find out. maybe it was tried 10 years ago, but i have no memory of them ever trying it.

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »

what hitech posted was to change the settings in the current arena. please explain to me how having a no icon late war arena running alongside the other 4 arenas  would hurt the gameplay and the check book. there really is only one way to find out. maybe it was tried 10 years ago, but i have no memory of them ever trying it.

It's tried right now. It's called AvA. And the turnout for that arena is low enough to deter people... Server space costs money, that simple. Open up a new room = more server space = more money, and if AvA is any indicator, it would be a loss of money.

Explained.
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
It's tried right now. It's called AvA. And the turnout for that arena is low enough to deter people... Server space costs money, that simple. Open up a new room = more server space = more money, and if AvA is any indicator, it would be a loss of money.

Explained.

using one of the arenas already in place for space would be fine. the 2 people that fly mid war or early war might cry a little. or the ww1 arena. chances are we would pull numbers and i think thats what scares the higher ups.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »
chances are we would pull numbers and i think thats what scares the higher ups.

Chances are? Scares?

:huh

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »
chances are we would pull numbers and i think thats what scares the higher ups.

Yes... those 'higher ups' (In other words- HTC, the only people who matter as far as convincing anyone to do this) really hate making money and giving customers what they want.  Scary, scary stuff!

Darn them!  Darn them to heck!

This is really starting to sound more and more like a desire to have a late war milkrunning arena for even more efficient perk farming.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »
using one of the arenas already in place for space would be fine. the 2 people that fly mid war or early war might cry a little. or the ww1 arena.

Or we might just let the "2 players" that do want a late war no icon arena "cry a little" and keep things as they are.  :P
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2013, 01:38:16 PM »
I have toyed with the idea of making a severely bastardized huge map representing all the main theaters of war at once and enable all the planes in the more or less correct areas, so that one could always find his favorite plane, but would still be most likely to encounter historical opponents.

I may still try that someday for the hell of it, but I don't think it would help a lot.

Helluva project that would be. However, I'd suspect the C202 fans logging on with the FM2 fans (without others logging on at the same time) wouldn't have enough fuel (or time) to fight each other (which isn't really in line with the AvA design, for the most part, anyway).  :)

My daydream was 'WAR' (where WWII if fought beginning to end in a rolling map set with the outcome being based on the success or failure of each map - cumulative). Even logistics could come into play. Heck, even R&D could.

I've heard a lite version of such has been tried. But this is a wholly different discussion.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »

I have thought about the same thing, the issue that stops it fairly quickly is the griefing that would happen from 1 area to the other.

HiTech

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »
hitech, sir, hows it going? so what do you think of trying out another main arena for a day or 2 to see how it goes?

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2013, 04:50:22 PM »
I have thought about the same thing, the issue that stops it fairly quickly is the griefing that would happen from 1 area to the other.

HiTech

Yep that's a tough one. About the only thing I could see to prevent it is a 30,000 foot wall separating the theaters. I've built one and tested it and a strong wind downdraft at about 28K would prevent anyone from flying Zekes into Europe.

The only problem is that it is kind of stupid LOL.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:13:14 PM by jimson »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
I suppose you could also 'stretch' over the water (or even over regions) when you create a map. It may make the map look a bit warped but it would achieve the same goal. You'd have to make sure there's an entire 'no fly zone' is stretched where even a B-29 couldn't make it full fuel cruise.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »
Also .... if there were enough sides to assign one per country .....

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »
But then ... that would require a way to ally some of the countries .....

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »
By 'ally' ... if this was even possible to code ... there'd be fields you can land and tower at safely but could not rearm and refuel at ...