Author Topic: 50th Sentai Ki-43  (Read 7999 times)

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: 50th Sentai Ki-43
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 06:52:09 AM »
Thanks, but those are Ki-44 profiles Lyric1.

Lol, had to laugh at this one.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »
I vaguely recall seeing a photo of a bare metal aircraft in squadron colours in one of my books, but the text mentioned it was a hack used for target towing. We do have training N1K skins in the game and IIRC the justification was they may well have seen combat, what with all the US aircraft over Japan in 1945. Ideally though, I'd still prefer something that was part of a combat squadron. If I can't find a decent WW2 photo of a non-training bare metal Ki-43, then I may have to go with the 55th Sentai one. I don't have time to do the research on this at the moment though.

I have a profile of the Ki-43 with the bird emblem, but it is mottled green on top.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »
We do have training N1K skins in the game and IIRC the justification was they may well have seen combat, what with all the US aircraft over Japan in 1945. Ideally though, I'd still prefer something that was part of a combat squadron.

Agreed. I'd like to see non-training skins too.

and thank you for reply. :salute

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 06:15:58 AM »
Great work Greebo, look forward to using new skins.  :salute

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 06:46:53 AM »
I've found a photo of a bare metal Ki-43 that might do. It is from the Kumagawa training school. However in the text it states the unit's instructors would use these aircraft to attack B-29s and this particular aircraft appears to have a flight leader's stripe on the vertical tail. It also has white home defence bands on the wings and fuselage which should make a good contrast with the bare metal.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 11:52:24 AM »
Looking good Greebo!  :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 08:57:23 PM »
I'd like to see...Capt. Shigeo Nangou, Commander of 2nd Chutai, 59th Sentai.

He was 15 victory Ace in the New Guinea.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 05:41:17 AM »
I can do that for you Mitsu, it will probably be a while before I have time though. Is there any other history for this pilot and are the stripes red or blue for the 2nd Chutai?

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 08:25:47 PM »
Thanks, Greebo-san.

History of Nangou:
http://www.warbirdcolors.com/get_aces.asp?J

http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=i1nOLCXhh98C&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=Nango+Shigeo&source=bl&ots=w6QdnQh4-c&sig=b_AlqUAnqCGkxbTx1h8QyWaA7Hc&hl=ja&sa=X&ei=eoR4UZ_8Ds2diAfLy4DIDQ&ved=0CHYQ6AEwDA

About Stripes:
http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2009/01/hasegawas-hayabusa-part-three.html

The red is believed.
This page might help you...

Watanabe-san had interviewed veteran Hitoshi Kawamura, a lieutenant in the 59th Sentai's maintenance section. Kawamura-san had joined the unit as maintenance leader in the 1st Chutai at Bandoeng, Java in February 1942. In March 1943 he was promoted to armament officer assigned to the Sentai Hombu (HQ) and remained in this capacity throughout the 59th's operations in New Guinea, coming into contact with Nango's aircraft constantly. When the Sentai withdrew to Manila for R&R in October 1943 it acquired 34 aircraft, enough to assign a personal aircraft to each pilot. Nango's assigned aircraft was S/N 6010.

The blue stripes painted on the fuselage represented the position of "senior officer assigned to the Sentai Hombu" (i.e. Executive Officer). The red tail stripes of the 2nd Chutai were retained however, because Nango had previously been the 2nd Chutai leader and his aircraft continued to be maintained by the 2nd Chutai maintenance personnel. A photograph of the aircraft around this time shows it about to sortie with a single drop tank carried under the port wing. Nango was killed in action on 25 January 1944 and is believed to have been downed in air combat by 1st Lt Robert M DeHaven of the 7th FS, 49th FG.