Author Topic: Wing stress  (Read 5909 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wing stress
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2013, 01:54:06 AM »
  Well indeed it looks like power is a more correct term than my use of the term energy: Energy was explained to me by an engineer as force over distance over time, as opposed to force over distance being work, which I misremembered as just "force"... He did not use the term power in the conversation we had, for some reason, but it was twenty years ago... At least now I know the exact terms...

G is a unit of acceleration, but the momentum of the fuselage pressing down on the wings, in a sustained turn, is work: The turn being sustained speed means time disappears from the equation beyond the gas tank: It is just force over distance.

In any case, the accepted wingloading theory, which in my opinion is unverified for WWII-type low wing monoplane nose-driven fighters (I have yet to find any evidence of wing bending measurement ever being taken during horizontal turns, as opposed to dive pull-outs, but would love to be shown some...), this currently accepted theory is different from my theory  -that the FW-190A exerts less work on its wings than the Spitfire-  because it assumes the distances between the various forces are that same between types.

First of all, I find it suspicious that the assymetrical inflow of air into the prop disc is not taken into account: From what I understand, this is assumed to be negligible... I don't see what is implausible about a hundred pounds of force being required for each degree of angle of attack increase, when forcing a flat disc to follow a curvature... Over the whole thrust of the disc, a hundred pounds per degree is very little...

The only argument against this (made to me by an aeronautic engineer) is the following: At a modest sustained turn 7° AoA, it would imply 700 lbs of force at the nose, which would require a similar force on the elevators to maintain just 7° (maybe just 500 lbs given the tail being longer than the nose, a ratio of about 1.5 to one on a P-51).

Obviously the pilot is not figting such huge forces in his elevators... The error everyone is making is to assume that the movement of the whole aircraft makes, while starting to pivot nose up, is initially just a pivoting action around its CG. I think the pivot point is very briefly closer to the prop, and this means the whole aircraft is, for a micro-second, more sweeping tail-down into the angle rather than pivoting, which action could shift the CL in front of the CG.

The CL shifting in front of the CL means that, as the turn tightens, the further pivoting action is actually helped by the scissor action of the CL being in front of the CG: That is why the pilot cannot feel the resistance of the prop in his elevator...

You can actually see the effect in the very claims Hitech has made of his own flying experience: He has confirmed 6G dive pull-outs in a P-51D at speeds well below 300 mph.

Yet, when the Society of Experimental Test Pilots tested in 1989 the minimum speed to reach 6 Gs in actual horizontal turns, the minimum speed the P-51D needed to reach 6 G horizontally without stalling was 320 mph: Why is 6 G so easy to reach below 300 mph in dive pull-outs compared to genuine horizontal turns?

Well at least the question must be asked before it can even be answered... The answer could be that, while diving, the prop disc is unloaded by air hitting the front of the blade at a greater rate than propulsion: This could tip the balance to nullify the effect of the prop getting assymetrical incoming air...

Suggestions that the SETP were somehow distorting the tests, which they bothered to make at great expense, doesn't seem too convincing to me... Sorry, but I'll take their word over yours...

So if, for the sake of argument, we accept that through incoming air assymetry the prop is putting, through nose length leverage, a greater downward force on the wings, for this to actually work at bending the wings more, then the wings themselves also have to come up with more force coming up, for the whole thing to stay up...

I think there is a way for the wing to generate correspondingly greater lift: If the CL does shift forward, there is something going on with the airflow around the wing... The fact that no wing bending tests in actual horizontal turns has surfaced is pretty telling: I would have expected those to be easily found...

The point I wanted to make about the Force/Energy issue is that there is no physical laws against getting more "work" out of something than you put in: A simple lever will do it... The assumption here is that, in the case of these aircrafts, the direction of the "work" creates no leverages that could play around with the outcomes: Until that assumption is backed by actual wing bending measurements in actual flight while actually turning horizontally, this is an assumption with no science behind it...

And the fact that a supposed 50% advantage in wingloading remains completely invisible in actual live combat is particularly ludicrous: I have five separate examples of FW-190As out-turning Spitfires in slow speed sustained turns (right where my theory predicts the greatest advantage), two of them general pilot statements as to an overall FW-190A advantage in that area, and so far I have never found slow-speed sustained turn examples of the contrary in actual combat. That's five to zero. A mighty discrete 50% wingloading advantage...

Yes test and general pilot lore tells the opposite, but somehow when an actual specific combat happens, it is always the opposite that comes up... But in these things remember this: Any out-turning event for the FW-190A counts, while for the Spitfire it has to be demonstrably low-speed and sustained turns, with no diving or high speed just before: By this accounting it is five to zero for the Fw-190A so far...

Gaston

This is your finest piece so far. Outstanding  :banana:
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »
there is no physical laws against getting more "work" out of something than you put in

Gaston

No STAR for you.
Power = D * F  / T (like 1 HP =  550 ft lb per second)
And Since  D * F = Work
Work per time I.E. Work/time = power.

From above P * T = D * F

Since Energy E = P * T (like  WATT HOURS or KWH)
E = D * F
hence Energy = Work

HiTech

NOTE ENERGY = WORK

So gaston again goes against rule #1.
by stating

there is no physical laws against getting more "work"
per above proof you could substitute  "Energy"  for "Work"
out of something than you put in[/i]

Good luck with that perpetual motion machine you keep trying to say is possible.
HiTech

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2013, 03:10:42 PM »
This all seems waaaay over complicated. All your gears and levers don't make it take less energy to accomplish a given unit of work. If the opposite were true than ultimately you could get an infinite amount of work out of any amount of energy.
Pies not kicks.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
NOTE ENERGY = WORK

So gaston again goes against rule #1.
by stating
 per above proof you could substitute  "Energy"  for "Work"
Good luck with that perpetual motion machine you keep trying to say is possible.
HiTech

We need a Gaston forum,just to see how much work you can get out of a little energy!

:salute

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2013, 01:33:19 AM »

He's not into perpetual motion, he just wants the 190 to out turn the Spitfire.

Have you ever considered making a "Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines" arena? Then you could model a Fw190Gs - the Gaston special - a stripped out A-5 with a helicopter rotor for a prop hub, then he'd teach us all a lesson with prop disk theory  :old:
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2013, 08:08:05 AM »
Hi Gaston

It is good to see you posting again, I always enjoy reading your comments and I see you are trying to come to terms with some of the scientific concepts involved. However, I notice you have not yet fully succeeded in that, and there are some minor issues that I would like to help clarify for you.

The point I wanted to make about the Force/Energy issue is that there is no physical laws against getting more "work" out of something than you put in: A simple lever will do it... The assumption here is that, in the case of these aircrafts, the direction of the "work" creates no leverages that could play around with the outcomes:

In that passage of text you are making a very small mistake, you just have one single word wrong, but unfortunately it changes the meaning of what you are saying entirely. Change one word and your statement is correct.

In your text quoted above, if you swap the word "work" for "force" and read it again it will be correct. I assume that is what you actually meant to say.

It is an easy mistake to make, for example work is calculated as force times distance, and has similar units to leverage which is also force times distance, but one of them is a measure of energy and the other is just a force acting at a distance causing leverage, and is sometimes called a bending moment, or just a moment. Using leverage to get out more force than you put in is perfectly correct and is known as a mechanical advantage.  However, if you change the word force and replace it with work, as you have done, your statement is not just wrong, it is profoundly wrong and breaks the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

I very much enjoy reading your theories. So forgive me for being blunt, but in that one passage of text there was just a single wrong word, but it changed what you were saying from being potentially correct, to being completely wrong. The problem is that every other passage of text contains similar and more numerous errors. Each mistake small by itself, but having a similarly negative impact on what you are saying to the point it is almost all complete and utter nonsense.

I hope that does not sound too harsh, because personally, I am always delighted to see you post on these boards, and I look forward to reading your analysis on this subject. However, if you are still a little fuzzy regarding the distinction between the terms, please accept the following explanation.   

Energy comes in many forms, and "work" is simply a term used to describe a form of mechanical energy. When a force moves a distance, work is said to be done and it is a form of energy. In terms of energy, the time doesn't matter, you could move a force over some distance very slowly or very rapidly, the energy, or work, will be the same. When you introduce time, you are then talking about power. If you want to move a force some distance very slowly you don't need much power, if you want to move the same force the same distance very quickly you need more power.

It is worth pointing out that although we call mechanical energy work, energy is only involved when the force actually moves some distance. This should not be confused with bending moments, which has the same units of force times distance, but if a force is exerted at some distance from a point it is a description of the bending effect, and despite having the same units as work it is very different to work or energy. Energy can be involved, but only when the force or bending effect causes some form of movement, linear or rotation. The confusing thing is that most forces do cause movement, even if it does not move the object it acts on as a whole, it may just cause internal movement within the object, in the form of strain or deflection and thus energy is almost always involved when forces are applied.

I know that appears to complicate matters, but despite that I hope I have at least clarified the terms as they are normally used. I appreciate how frustrating it must be trying to communicate your theories when the rest of us are using technical language correctly. I feel sure that if you are able to make some progress in using those terms in the same way, we will all be able to enjoy your fascinating theories more fully.

At least, I hope something here has been helpful.

Regards

Badboy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:35:23 AM by Badboy »
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »
Bad boy you are a prince, it is always a pleasure to read your postings.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »
How many examples are there of Spitfires out turning Fw190s in low speed sustained turns?  Have you looked?

What do you think? Did you ever see one? I really would like to see one, as in 17 years of looking I found only the opposite...

Which kind of explains why John Weir says it has a heavier wing loading...

Gaston

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2013, 03:43:24 PM »

In your text quoted above, if you swap the word "work" for "force" and read it again it will be correct. I assume that is what you actually meant to say.

It is an easy mistake to make, for example work is calculated as force times distance, and has similar units to leverage which is also force times distance, but one of them is a measure of energy and the other is just a force acting at a distance causing leverage, and is sometimes called a bending moment, or just a moment. Using leverage to get out more force than you put in is perfectly correct and is known as a mechanical advantage.  However, if you change the word force and replace it with work, as you have done, your statement is not just wrong, it is profoundly wrong and breaks the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

I very much enjoy reading your theories. So forgive me for being blunt, but in that one passage of text there was just a single wrong word, but it changed what you were saying from being potentially correct, to being completely wrong. The problem is that every other passage of text contains similar and more numerous errors. Each mistake small by itself, but having a similarly negative impact on what you are saying to the point it is almost all complete and utter nonsense.

I hope that does not sound too harsh, because personally, I am always delighted to see you post on these boards, and I look forward to reading your analysis on this subject. However, if you are still a little fuzzy regarding the distinction between the terms, please accept the following explanation.  

Energy comes in many forms, and "work" is simply a term used to describe a form of mechanical energy. When a force moves a distance, work is said to be done and it is a form of energy. In terms of energy, the time doesn't matter, you could move a force over some distance very slowly or very rapidly, the energy, or work, will be the same. When you introduce time, you are then talking about power. If you want to move a force some distance very slowly you don't need much power, if you want to move the same force the same distance very quickly you need more power.

It is worth pointing out that although we call mechanical energy work, energy is only involved when the force actually moves some distance. This should not be confused with bending moments, which has the same units of force times distance, but if a force is exerted at some distance from a point it is a description of the bending effect, and despite having the same units as work it is very different to work or energy. Energy can be involved, but only when the force or bending effect causes some form of movement, linear or rotation. The confusing thing is that most forces do cause movement, even if it does not move the object it acts on as a whole, it may just cause internal movement within the object, in the form of strain or deflection and thus energy is almost always involved when forces are applied.

I know that appears to complicate matters, but despite that I hope I have at least clarified the terms as they are normally used. I appreciate how frustrating it must be trying to communicate your theories when the rest of us are using technical language correctly. I feel sure that if you are able to make some progress in using those terms in the same way, we will all be able to enjoy your fascinating theories more fully.

At least, I hope something here has been helpful.

Regards

Badboy

Quote: "it may just cause internal movement within the object, in the form of strain or deflection and thus energy is almost always involved when forces are applied."

Does this inclusion of energy means that my notion of some aircraft types bending their wings differently through different-than-expected leverages actually break physical laws?

I think if you think my theory is entirely an issue of leverages, you are misunderstanding it:

There is two parts to my theory: Only one part involves leverage: That is the part where the prop assymetry and the nose length comes in, tilting the thrust axis down.

The other part involves a change in the airflow around the wing: That has nothing to do with leverages, except for the issue of moving the Center of Lift in front of the CG.

If you understand anything about my theory, you will be able to say why that move of the CL in front of the CG is essential...

From what Hitech said, you can get more energy out than you put in...: This is his quote:

"While Gaston is correct in that Force and distance can be converted to and from each other via levers or pulleys while still maintaining the Same Energy
Since W = E and W = F * D take any distance you want and solve for the force.

His conclusion from the above fail to take into account things like the direction of a force. And many people seem to think of G's as a force, it is not, it is a unit of acceleration."

I don't understand his objection that I don't take into account the direction of the force.

In any case, there are several ways to easily disprove my theory:

1-My theory depends on the frontal engine power level affecting the wing's bending moment on powerful low-wing types during a horizontal turn: Show any data that shows no such correlation between engine power, on these types, and the the wing bending exists...

2-My theory depends on the minimum speed to reach 6 Gs on WWII fighters to be different in a dive pull-out than on a horizontal turn: If they are the same, then the theory doesn't work. So far the SETP test definitely leans my way, with 320 mph on a P-51 at METO, and close to their respective maximum level speed on all the other types: Same thing accross the board in other words...

3-Find in-flight wing bending data, in horizontal turns, on these WWII types, that matches theoretical calculations...

(I've been told unfortunately that such data is usually gathered form dive pull-outs, if at all...)

4- Not a final proof, but if some Spitfires in combat could ever be found to gain in low-speed multiple level turns on a FW-190A, that could be an indication as to what kind of hole that 50% wingloading advantage is hiding... It is not absolute, because a lot of these FW-190As were armored-up to fight bombers from Spring 1944, but it would still be interesting...

Gaston

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2013, 04:09:11 PM »

From what Hitech said, you can get more energy out than you put in...: This is his quote:

"While Gaston is correct in that Force and distance can be converted to and from each other via levers or pulleys while still maintaining the Same Energy
Since W = E and W = F * D take any distance you want and solve for the force.

Sigh,

a complete lack of understanding that I NEVER said you can get more energy out then you put in. In the quote you have, I said Energy or work remains constant and do not change.

But for any amount of work, you can covert distance to force or oppositely force and distance. It is like saying 4 times 4 is the same as 16 times 1 or 2 times 8 or 8 times 2.  They all = 16 units of energy.

HiTech

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2013, 09:45:59 PM »
Hey, y'all never know. This could be the science standard of the future generations that none of us have yet to understand.

Ya never know!  :old:
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
The confusing thing is that most forces do cause movement, even if it does not move the object it acts on as a whole, it may just cause internal movement within the object, in the form of strain or deflection and thus energy is almost always involved when forces are applied.

Badboy

Yes but there is something inherently not relevant, it seems to me, to wing bending in sustained turns in what you say above:

While the wing is in the process of bending there is movement until the effort has reached its peak: Let's say 3 G. For that peak-preceding period, there is indeed wing movement, there is in fact a part of energy, as you say, because there is movement from a point A to a point B, most visibly for the wingtips at least...

If the wingtips are raised fast, or slow, this will affect the amount of energy present: This is irrelevant to the discussion of sustained turns...

To maintain the wing bent at the same value, there is no longer any wing movement, therefore energy, or "work", is no longer present, except in a "potential" form, stored in the elasticity of the wings.

You are pointing out something that is not relevant throughout the turn, for the sustained part of the turn: Once the peak has been reached there is no longer any wing movement, and therefore no longer any "work".

And, once again, depending on leverages, you can get more force out than you put in, which is what I have been saying all along... Your insistence there is energy involved in maintaining the wings bent seems to me to muddy the waters: The only reason there is "potential energy" stored here is that the wing are not infinitely rigid... We are discussing physics, not materials...

The biggest problem of my theory, which you consistently fail to point out, is that the described leverages forces are all downward.

The real problem with my theory is that it implies far greater wing lift forces than anything previously assumed to counter-act this, with minimal loss of speed (I think in part because the prop assymetry is actually an increase of thrust on the inside of the turn: Prop blade efficiency becomes greater inside the turn: Again, not an increase of energy, but a simply a reduction of inefficiency).

Again, the greater than assumed lift forces would be an increase in lift efficiency. No energy or "work" involved here, if the sum of all the added downward forces reduce movement to zero, which of course they do...

That this increase of wing lift efficiency is unknown from wind-tunnel tests is very easy to understand: No powered flight, no control surface-induced change in attitude, and, I'll bet, no real replication of curved flight airflow...

The only way to really know if these extra forces are present is to measure the wing bending in level turns.

Guess what? No such test has surfaced for WWII types, except that the procedure is seen as a modern high-tech luxury, exclusively done by pulling out of dives...

Another problem with the theory is that it implies that the CL moves forward of the CG.

This forward CL movement would, in my opinion, not affect directional stability for an obvious reason: Given what I described by now, you should easily understand why...

Gaston

P.S. Hitech did not address what he meant about me not taking into account the direction of the forces.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
Gaston I am trying to understand what you are saying. In simplified language are you saying that in a 3g horizontal turn some of the thrust from the engine/prop acts against the direction of lift such that the wings must support a greater load than 3 times the weight of the aircraft?
Pies not kicks.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »
Gaston I am trying to understand what you are saying. In simplified language are you saying that in a 3g horizontal turn some of the thrust from the engine/prop acts against the direction of lift such that the wings must support a greater load than 3 times the weight of the aircraft?

No he's saying a Fw190 should out-turn a Spitfire.  :lol
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »
No he's saying a Fw190 should out-turn a Spitfire.  :lol
Because the Spitfire is taking 6 Gs of acceleration in a 3 G turn due to its wings flexing and the Fw190A is taking 3 Gs of acceleration in a 3 G turn due to its wings not flexing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:54:33 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-