USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Shift x
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »
No, aircraft in WW2 were forbidden to go inverted for more than 10 seconds or so at a time (not so much with radial engines but with any V engine) as the engine would lose gas or if fuel injected lose oil pressure and burn up.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 11:41:54 PM »
Well we do slot of things that didn't happen in ww2, lancstukas, tie fighter a20's, killing cvs with bombers at 15k, laser 50 caps hitting fighters at 1.5k away
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »
     It's too hard to just hold your inverted flightpath then?
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 06:42:54 AM »
No, aircraft in WW2 were forbidden to go inverted for more than 10 seconds or so at a time (not so much with radial engines but with any V engine) as the engine would lose gas or if fuel injected lose oil pressure and burn up.

Not all WW2 planes would lose oil pressure if the plane flew inverted for more than a few seconds, some planes had oil systems to allow for inverted flight.  In any case, since this isn't modeled in AH and you can fly inverted for however long you like, I don't see why there should be any issue to set auto-pilot to keep you inverted.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:15:16 AM »
Not all WW2 planes would lose oil pressure if the plane flew inverted for more than a few seconds, some planes had oil systems to allow for inverted flight.  In any case, since this isn't modeled in AH and you can fly inverted for however long you like, I don't see why there should be any issue to set auto-pilot to keep you inverted.

ack-ack
:airplane: Non of the WW2 era aircraft had "in-verted" fuel and oil systems! The spits and FW's for example had "float" type carburation system and they would stop running with-in about 3 or 4 seconds unless they were pulling at least 1 g while inverted! Since this is a computer generated game, aircraft in here do not know if they are upside down or not. Having said that, I remember flying a Spit 1 one day and lo and behold, rolling inverted did shut down the engine, so some of the aircraft in the game may be programed to shut down if left in inverted flight.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »
I just came to the realization I can set trim.....to get similar results
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 05:58:38 PM »
:airplane: Non of the WW2 era aircraft had "in-verted" fuel and oil systems! The spits and FW's for example had "float" type carburation system and they would stop running with-in about 3 or 4 seconds unless they were pulling at least 1 g while inverted! Since this is a computer generated game, aircraft in here do not know if they are upside down or not. Having said that, I remember flying a Spit 1 one day and lo and behold, rolling inverted did shut down the engine, so some of the aircraft in the game may be programed to shut down if left in inverted flight.

You're incorrect.  Focke Wulf's engines had fuel injection which allowed the plane to use negative G maneuvers without the engine stalling out due to fuel starvation, unlike the early Spitfires that had a float carburetor which would cause the engine to stall due to fuel starvation.  The Germans had fighters (Bf 109s) that had a dry oil sump that allowed them to fly inverted for prolonged times without causing the engine to seize because lack of oil.  Think the Japanese may have also had a few fighters that had engines with dry oil sumps as well. 

ack-ack

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 01:21:04 AM »
Not knowing all that about coding but I'm going to assume to allow only certain aircraft who had the ability of inverted flight  would be a task. or should this be an all or nothing kinda thing.
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 02:38:41 AM »
Not knowing all that about coding but I'm going to assume to allow only certain aircraft who had the ability of inverted flight  would be a task. or should this be an all or nothing kinda thing.

I don't think it would be difficult to code, Air Warrior had this feature.  The reason we don't have it in AH is game play reasons.

ack-ack