Author Topic: Customizable Icon Range  (Read 182 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Customizable Icon Range
« on: April 13, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
What I'd like to be able to do is choose at what distance enemy icon appear for me. In a massive furball there is just too much on the screen. I really don't care about the cons that are 3K or more away, their icons just serve as a distraction and you lose sight of the planes that are engaging with you at 1K or closer.

Maybe make it a slider in the options so for furballs you can turn the icons down to 2K, and then turn it back up to 6K for other sorties.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Customizable Icon Range
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
You are on to something here.

Add to that a way to reduce the Icon footprint say starting at 1k so by the time you are in shooting distance you can choose to see only a red dot, small red country avatar, or nothing. Part of the time at 400 with the icon below the target you only see the target in your gunsight. By 200 the icon disappears into the base of your gunsight below the reflector glass unless you are looking up from below or attacking from higher back and up.

A caution to this. Chances are only accomplished vets would use it by choice. If you are the only participant in a furball with it turned on. You may disadvantage yourself into loosing sight of your targets more often than those choosing to stay with the default Icon. We do ACM against the giant red Avatar relying on it at all times for tracking and orientation. You may even find yourself flying enough disadvantaged that less talented players who normally cannot catch you can now with increased success.

It's a great individualist's choice wish for the accomplished ACM practitioner. But, this may be something more in line for a global paradigm evolution of the game to improve immersion.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »
+1.  This is the first icon reduction request that I can get behind.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:50:59 PM »
+1