Author Topic: Switching Between Control Modes  (Read 640 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Switching Between Control Modes
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
I've recently been tinkering with using different control modes for different types of flying.  In specific, I'd like to have Control Mode 1 be the "combat" mode, and then use Control Mode 3 for a "leisure" mode (casual flying to and from target, between combat stints, etc).  I've found that none of the mode are assigned a hot key.  I did that with mode 1 and 3 (left 2 for gv's).  In the LW server, I upped a Mossi and sat on the runway and only changed the main views from dead on through the gun sight, to centered over the seat at a comfortable level up from the seat.  The Mossi FB Mk IV is easy to gauge because I can reference the Mossi B Mk XVI (it has no gun sight so HTC set it as "normal" as can be.

I'm finding that going from Mode 3 (typical pilot view) to Mode 1 (gun sight view) is not working so well, while in flight I'm not able fully switch between modes.  Is it even possible?  The test bar says so, but the plane views are not changing.

HTC?  Any guidance?
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Switching Between Control Modes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »
Your post is kind of confusing, so sorry if what I'm saying here is totally irrelevant to what you're after ;o

You mention changing views - as far as I know, a different control mode will not have different cockpit views

You also mention that none of the modes are assigned a hotkey - you can easily change this by adding it in the keyboard bindings menu, or in the controller mapping menu
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:49:20 AM »
Controller modes only affect the controller settings.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »
You can use the same button to switch modes by giving it a different mode selection in each mode. In mode one it switches you to mode 3 and in mode 3 it switches you back to mode 1.

One way to do an alternate front view is with keypad 8. If you map "Forward View" to a button you can easily glance at your alternate view. This could be a gunsight view, instrument view, or over the nose view.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 03:50:09 PM by FLS »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:29:34 PM »
You can assign your controllers inputs to completely different functions between different control modes.  If you have one view assigned to a "button" in Mode 1, and a different view assigned to that same "button" in Mode 2, there has to be an active input on that button to see the difference.  It's not clear if that's what your doing in your post?  What I'm getting at is that when you switch between modes, you will only see a view difference when actively pressing the assigned button.

My use for control modes has always been

Mode 1=Hat switch views "flat" and straight up, button to Mode 2
Mode 2=Hat switch views modified 45 deg up, button to Mode 1
Mode 3=GV
Mode 4=CMeye functions

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 04:19:52 AM »
Murdr it sounds like he wants to set a different custom view for each mode but as you know the views are set separately from the controller settings.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 06:42:59 AM »
I did what you want to do, but for different reasons.  I wanted mode 1 for fighter and mode 3 for bombers.  

You are able to switch between modes while in flight if you map a key to it.  I used the "/" and the "*" on the number pad.  the "/" I selected for mode 1 and the "*" I selected for mode 3.  While in flight you can then switch back and forth between modes.

To Map these keys go to "options - controls - map keys"

Fred
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:44:55 AM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
One way to do an alternate front view is with keypad 8. If you map "Forward View" to a button you can easily glance at your alternate view. This could be a gunsight view, instrument view, or over the nose view.
This trick can give you 4 additional forward views. Any conflicting combination of view directions results in a new forward view that can be modified and saved with F10. So, if you hold forward view and then also apply back view this is another, separate forward view. Also, forward+back&left, forward+back&right.
The same trick, perhaps better for a POV hat uses the back view mapped to a button. Then button+left&forward and button+right&forward can for example be used for leaning left/right in the cockpit to peak around the engine cowling and canopy frames. 

Additional combinations more easily accessible with keypad, but can still be remapped to a stick are left+right, forward&left+forward&right, back&left+back&right. I have not tried the up+down, but I am sure that will work too.

I love the AH view system. By far the best of any flight sim if you do not use trackIR.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 03:11:41 PM »
In perfect world I'd like to have 2 different modes for flying aircraft.

Mode 1 = aircraft combat mode.  Basically, it is selected for use while in combat be it air to air, air to ground, etc.  This is basically the default mode.  This is the mode that is currently default in AH.  The default frontal view is looking through the gun sight.

Mode 2 = aircraft basic mode.  This means "no combat" flight.  I'd use this mode while gaining altitude a few sectors away from the target area, or maybe while searching for gv's.  This view would be set at X height above the seat and have pay no attention to the gun sight.   

Mode 3 = gv mode.

Mode 4= ?

I think a lot of people forget that in most aircraft in WWII the pilot did not look through his gun sight without moving his head to the sight.  His normal view while piloting the aircraft was centered in the cockpit usually looking over top of the sight, or over top and to the side, or in the case of the P47D-11 waaay over to the side.

I tried to switch to mode 3 and program a different set of views but I could not get them to stick.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.