Author Topic: Speed fixes?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Speed fixes?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
I can understand for the P40, but I guess something is wrong with my game Arlo. I always watch the red line and It never passes the 300 mark and normally the White line is right behind it. And for the chart of F4U-1 Speeds the test flights for the F4U-1 were conducted at 14,000 and 23,000 ft. 23,000 the plane reached 432 and at 14 it reached 420. They also tested at 5000 where the plane got to 405 without war emergency power.
With or without war equipment?  A lot of times initial tests produce much higher results because they lack draggy things like guns, bomb racks/drop tank racks and are at a lower weight for lack of other equipment.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »
Might also try climbing above target altitude, level to max speed, then dive to target altitude and level. As opposed to climbing to the altitude then leveling. Difference is that the induced drag can keep you from reaching max sustainable speed.
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 02:52:41 PM »
i think the op isn't looking at all the proper data...or at the data properly  :headscratch:

there is a lot out there...and it varies depending on what they sourced (combat or test) with test data being the more optimistic.
lookin around data shows the 1a hitting 395-412+ at 19-22,000 ft and 315-335 at sea level depending on the engine, loadout, paint, airframe mods, etc...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline nasty

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 04:05:22 PM »
With or without war equipment?  A lot of times initial tests produce much higher results because they lack draggy things like guns, bomb racks/drop tank racks and are at a lower weight for lack of other equipment.

Just running with full fuel like I do in combat
The M1 Garand is the greatest battle implement ever divised.
-General George S Patton JR