Author Topic: Why I like Solaris.  (Read 3061 times)

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Why I like Solaris.
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »
To day we will be rebooting one of our game servers. It has not be turned off or reboot for 5.2 years.

HiTech

I've always thought Solaris sounded interesting, especially the Dynamic Tracing.

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
If we put Solaris on our machine can we run AH with it?

HL
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 07:29:56 PM »
we had to kill a cisco router that  lived more than 11 years...
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 07:37:57 PM »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 06:38:24 AM »
Always get worried when the customers I support reboot a Solaris, iSeries or AIX/UNIX server that has been up for along time...

It came back up like it was a new system.  Nevertheless, we will be replacing the hard drive in it soon.

It is a Supermicro server.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 07:39:10 AM »
Your server room must be clean. I had a linux computer once that was not rebooted for... well I dont know exactly but it was well over a year, probably close to two. Eventually the CPU fan became a whirling chunk of dust, made tractor noises and stopped cooling. The case fan was still bravely chugging along with what looked like a pound of dust on it... :)
Overall, the view inside the case looked like something that was found by Indiana Jones in a Pharaoh's tomb.

It was sitting in a graduate students office, on the floor which was far from clean.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »
To day we will be rebooting one of our game servers. It has not be turned off or reboot for 5.2 years.

HiTech

The service and program quality from HTC over the years has always been exceptional

<S>

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 08:23:37 AM »
Before I got deeply involved in Oracle I was a UNIX system admin.  Our main servers were Sun Solaris.  They are the most stable and powerful servers of their type.  We too had a server up 2.5 years plus!  THAT is the kinda system you want a business to run on!

Oracle, who now owns Solaris, have added a new kernal to their LINUX that allows you to restart any part of the kernal while keeping the OS up.  Zero downtime mission statement there!

That HiTech use Solaris for part of their mission critical services shows you guys just how dedicated they are to performance and stability.  If you only look at impact fees and not ROI, Windows would have been much cheaper.  Very wise move by HiTech to use Solaris.  :salute

Slade

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »
WTG on the successful upgrade. What sun hardware did you go from/to?

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »
If your using hardware that's more than 5 years old you can reduce our monthly fees.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »
If your using hardware that's more than 5 years old you can reduce our monthly fees.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Awwww hitech! Where did you find this guy!!! Get him up on stage because he is amazingly funny!!!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »

My $15 a month to AH is quite probably the cheapest entertainment I have considering the amount of hours I log. :uhoh

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »

The fact that they have not raised the subscription fee over the years even with the change in the economy is essentially the same as a "reduced" fee.  So, there you go. You got what you wished for, little Timmy.  Merry Christmas!
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!