Author Topic: PC build suggestions  (Read 1454 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
Re: PC build suggestions
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 11:18:48 AM »
You are not familiar with switching power supplies.  If it was a linear power supply, then it would not make any difference.  The nature of a switching power supply requires a load for them to output power and a high load to output clean power.
Too small of a switcher is a bad idea.  Too big of a switcher is not as bad as too small, but it will lead to long term stability problems with any of the current high end systems today.
I am an electrical engineer.  I do have a very good handle on how these work.

So are you saying that the basic computer PSU are all switching type? or are they linear?

and what span of time are you talking about that can cause issues. 1 year or 10 or 20. Obviously 1 year is problematical but from 10 and on, what would it really matter, most will have upgraded to a new system after that time. They would have almost had to considering how quickly OS changes would have happened as well as the hardware that would have become available. My oldest working machine is a little over 10 years old. It will only run XP at this point. It was too advanced to run 95 thru XP when I built it.
This is why I think its really a moot point. As I said, all the psu's I use are under used. None have ever failed, or killed a mobo, but then each one has a power conditioner of its own. I would think the USA power grid kills quite a few.
Chit they're all made in China, like most puter parts. They are all the same inside I would think. DC converters.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 05:35:52 PM »
There are no linear power supplies in any computer.  They would be far to large and heavy to accommodate the required output.

Time spans for damage cannot be calculated due to the enormous number of variables involved.  Too many of which are not static.

Switching power supplies are regulated by the output demand.  They are a closed loop system.  This is why they need a load to provide power.  Without sufficient load, the supply will simply not provide any power.  Here is a grossly simplified explanation; Switching supplies work by increasing the frequency of the power as the load increases.  If the load drops too low and causes the frequency to be below the input frequency, then all manner of noise is introduced into the output.

Without knowing specifics of the supply design, you can only make some gross assumptions about the operational range of the supply where clean power is produced.  Generally speaking it is between 60 and 75 percent.  You might get away with 50 to 75 percent, in a good supply, with an active PFC and decent capacitors.

One of the main problems with dirty power is it usually is mistaken for other problems with a computer.  Stability issues, memory errors, hard drive problems and a host of other issues can all be traced back to dirty power as a potential cause.

As the voltage level requirements drop for components, the higher potential for dirty power to cause more problems.  Hence, what you could get away with five years ago, would fail miserably today.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »
Ty,
I've learned something.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »
Jollyfe, I'm curious if you checked with the university to see if they had recommendations and, if so, what they were.  I'm also curious if the aerospace program had any recommendations specific to that program.  I know George Mason has recommendations that are minimal, but a music major at another university needed a macintosh that could run a specific program for her music major-  much to her parent's dismay!

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »
Haven't checked yet, it's on his to do list.  For some reason AFROTC has his focus at the moment(no idea where that came from)
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.