Author Topic: P38L repeater-gyroscopic compass locations?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
P38L repeater-gyroscopic compass locations?
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:10:22 PM »
The location of the P38L's repeater-gyroscopic compass appears to be where the AH magnetic compass is some pictures i have found on the internet albeit I have not found any traceable or documented pictures to confirm the Gyro compass location.

Anybody pin this down?

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: P38L repeater-gyroscopic compass locations?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:32:19 PM »
The location of the P38L's repeater-gyroscopic compass appears to be where the AH magnetic compass is some pictures i have found on the internet albeit I have not found any traceable or documented pictures to confirm the Gyro compass location.

Anybody pin this down?

:airplane: Have not looked at what AH did with this update, but, most all WW2 fighters had a "directional gyro", which indicated course selected by pilot, but not necessarily the magnetic heading. Most pilots would set their gyro, after lining up with the runway, as they, the runways are laid out and numbered as close as possible to the correct compass heading. C&G charts, which were primarily used during WW2, indicated the real Magnetic heading of the runway. Example, Runway 09, might be 088 degrees and with out consulting your chart, you would be 2 degrees off on takeoff.
Now, don't confuse the "magnetic" compass, for example on the B-17 in AH, as what they have depicted is really more like a ADF needle which is a radio signal indicator, but for our purposes in the game works just fine.
Most all Gyro instruments have a certain amount of error, based on a number of things and have to be reset occasionally by the pilot. Example, if you were tracking a VHF or UHF navigational signal, and you saw that the directional gyro had moved right or left of that heading, you could just reset it while flying.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!