Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2013, 01:44:50 PM »
I seem to recall that B-17s cruised at 180-200mph and those are the speeds they used on missions into Germany.  Even in combat the bombers kept at a cruise setting.

In AH a B-17 does almost 300mph for most of its mission.

Hence, faster than historic speeds.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:57 PM »
So you are saying bomber speed is not realistic?

You did read that this happens over strats right?

I've had one player up 4 times to come back for me, and several up 2 to 3 times to come back and finish me off.

My bombers have no advantage whatsoever when deep inside enemy territory. Yes, I know I put myself there.

I could mb and bail like some others, maybe this is part of why they do it?

3 or 4 times they get back up for you? What are you doing, flying at 5k? If your not at 20k your asking to get hammered. Also is their angle is not steep, they are much easier to shoot down

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2013, 11:13:27 PM »
There are several Bish that are great at defending their strats, and they are who I'm referring to. Depending on the map, I can expect to see them one sector at least ahead of the strats sector, and I usually make 2-3 passes. The one guy was 4 sorties against me, and that was only once. More than once, I've had the feeling I was just being softened up, for a 3 kill sortie. But there have been numerous times were I encountered the same player 2 times more often than not, and 3 times was not uncommon. I've had the same player up at a base several sectors away, toward my country, to catch me returning, so I'm including those occasions here.

But really the point is, what is a bomber pilot to do to avoid fighters colliding with him from the 6oclock perspective? They do not get the damage if it's only on my end, but I certainly do, and I can't think of any way to avoid that given the way things are currently modeled.

:salute

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2013, 06:38:38 AM »
I would suggest avoiding the plane, or shoot it down.  Either way solves the problem.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline wardog19

• Zinc Member
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2013, 06:43:56 AM »
There are several Bish that are great at defending their strats, and they are who I'm referring to. Depending on the map, I can expect to see them one sector at least ahead of the strats sector, and I usually make 2-3 passes. The one guy was 4 sorties against me, and that was only once. More than once, I've had the feeling I was just being softened up, for a 3 kill sortie. But there have been numerous times were I encountered the same player 2 times more often than not, and 3 times was not uncommon. I've had the same player up at a base several sectors away, toward my country, to catch me returning, so I'm including those occasions here.

But really the point is, what is a bomber pilot to do to avoid fighters colliding with him from the 6oclock perspective? They do not get the damage if it's only on my end, but I certainly do, and I can't think of any way to avoid that given the way things are currently modeled.

The collisions, if/when they happen, is definitely accidental on my behalf. I do not ram intentionally. Takes way to long to get alt just to intentionally ram buffs. :bhead  Especially since I only use prop driven planes.

Have on some occasions had frame stutter or lag that causes me to close faster without me seeing it. I'll start a dive or climb at 1.5k and the gunner opens up, frames stutter, things get slowed down and where I think I'm clearing past, frame rate goes back up and I get message of collision, have no wing(s) or damaged engine and cannot continue attack. This is how it is on my screen and my perspective.

Now I've also come up against some buff pilots that will chop throttle or cut off engines and make climbs or dives that puts them quickly into my flight path which usually causes a collision. Catastrophic more for me usually and they can jump to a drone if they take damage also, and continue on. Mostly when they are flying Lancasters  lol.  Tough birds!

Now I'm not sure if I'm the person you're referring to, but I will re-up to go after the same Bombers if I'm downed. :devil  Especially if protecting strats. It's not like there is a big red cross on them and dropping Humanitarian Relief supplies.  lol

Salute to the Bomber guy's!

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 11:52:11 PM »
If memory serves the collision model was even more hilarious in Air Warrior. 

Firstly, there was none.  You could not collide with an opponent.  This made air combat a bit...different.

Secondly, since nobody worried about colliding, the Head to head modeling tossed out most of the bullets fired as
anything else would just about guarantee both planes would get shot down.

I prefer the current modeling.  Its not entirely fair, but the alternatives suck.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2013, 10:04:28 AM »
I would suggest avoiding the plane, or shoot it down.  Either way solves the problem.
Because jinking a flight of Lanks is as easy as jinking a 190.... :joystick:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2013, 12:46:52 PM »
Last FSO, I was in a Zero climbing around stall speed and an F4F-4 smashed into me from behind... no way I could avoid that... at least he exploded, but he took my wing off too.

In this case, there was no way I could avoid the collision as I couldn't maneuver and he was much faster... but I am not upset really... it sucks to have my FSO frame ended like that, but collisions happened, and when they did both planes took damage...

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2013, 03:14:01 PM »
Last FSO, I was in a Zero climbing around stall speed and an F4F-4 smashed into me from behind... no way I could avoid that... at least he exploded, but he took my wing off too.

In this case, there was no way I could avoid the collision as I couldn't maneuver and he was much faster... but I am not upset really... it sucks to have my FSO frame ended like that, but collisions happened, and when they did both planes took damage...

Stop looking at it like a traffic collision.  There is no "at fault".  There is only yes or no.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »

Well keep in mind nobody ever said it was impossible for both planes to be damaged, just not likely due to a lot of factors. If your front end sees a collision you take damage. If the other guy's does he takes damage. In the case you described I'd guess your relative speeds were slow and your crossing angle was minimal (as he was overtaking you from behind and not passing from the front quarter or side where your relative speeds would be much greater) and it might have been because of that, both front ends saw a collision and therefore you both took damage. Remember we're talking like milliseconds here so if you were close enough for long enough then prolly both sides saw the collision. Best sense I can make of that.

Speaking of FSO......I'm off. :salute
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2013, 02:44:33 AM »
The collisions, if/when they happen, is definitely accidental on my behalf. I do not ram intentionally. Takes way to long to get alt just to intentionally ram buffs. :bhead  Especially since I only use prop driven planes.

Have on some occasions had frame stutter or lag that causes me to close faster without me seeing it. I'll start a dive or climb at 1.5k and the gunner opens up, frames stutter, things get slowed down and where I think I'm clearing past, frame rate goes back up and I get message of collision, have no wing(s) or damaged engine and cannot continue attack. This is how it is on my screen and my perspective.

Now I've also come up against some buff pilots that will chop throttle or cut off engines and make climbs or dives that puts them quickly into my flight path which usually causes a collision. Catastrophic more for me usually and they can jump to a drone if they take damage also, and continue on. Mostly when they are flying Lancasters  lol.  Tough birds!

Now I'm not sure if I'm the person you're referring to, but I will re-up to go after the same Bombers if I'm downed. :devil  Especially if protecting strats. It's not like there is a big red cross on them and dropping Humanitarian Relief supplies.  lol

Salute to the Bomber guy's!

Actually, while I recall seeing you up more than once after me, I don't recall any collisions, not to say it didn't happen. I do recall one time, K-4 vs. KI-67's where you got me and came back, although idk if i got you or just oiled. I'm not sure if you caught me on the second sortie, those Betty's are fast.
Yes, you are one of the Bish that does a fine job of defending your strats.

They're casting their bait over there, see?