Author Topic: Dell XPS One 27 (i7-3770s, 8GB RAM, 640M video card)... will it run AH well?  (Read 380 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
I'm looking at a new computer to replace my old laptop. I like the "all in one" form factor but wondering if it will have the power with the 640M video card to put out some good graphics in AH with the 27" monitor running the highest resolution (2560x1440). Has anyone played AH on that configuration? What kind of performance would I get and would I be able to take advantage of the display? Thanks in advance, Anthony

Intel Core i7-3770s Quad-Core 3.1 GHz CPU
8 GB DDR3 RAM (1600MHz), 2 TB (Terabyte) SATA Hard Drive
27-inch QHD Touch Panel HD Display, 2560 x 1440 Resolution at 16.7 million colors
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 2GB GDDR5

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
AH should run fine. Games within the past 2 years? Most likely on low or medium.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Thanks, AH is really the only game I play (on my 14" laptop screen). I'm hoping a bigger screen will allow me to actually see something:)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
will Aces High recognize the touch panel display , like touching buttons on the clipboard? or would you still require a mouse?

I personally would not like the smudge marks all over my monitor....

atlau, that should run Aces high fairly decent, however I would not try to max out the resolution ...... AH would preform better if your resolution was lower like 1920 x 1080 or 1650 x 1050 screen res

just a suggestion

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Honestly I couldn't care less about the touchscreen portion. In fact I find the whole Windows 8 UI difficult to use. I just like the idea of a big screen! But if I can't take advantage of the higher res I suppose it might not be that much of an improvement from a smaller screen.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:32:31 PM by atlau »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Honestly I couldn't care less about the touchscreen portion. In fact I find the whole Windows 8 UI difficult to use. I just like the idea of a big screen! But if I can't take advantage of the higher res I suppose it might not be that much of an improvement from a smaller screen.

I was not saying you could not use or take advantage of that 2560 x 1440 Resolution ,  I just meant you would probably get better performance/frame rate in game if you lowered it to what I posted previously, instead of running maxed out...... isn't that  NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 2GB GDDR5  like a mobile(laptop) type video card?  I may be wrong about that......  I haven't bothered to go research it......

but going from 14" to a 27"  even using 1920x1080  you will see a tremendously huge difference in screen area

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Yeah based on my research it's a mobile graphics card which is why I was worried that it might not be quite powerful enough. I'm also looking at a 17" ASUS G75 laptop w/ a 670MX GPU which I know will have no problem running the game but obviously I'm back to a laptop screen size along w/ a 1920x1080 resolution.