Author Topic: A-20 characteristics  (Read 7426 times)

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
Re: A-20 characteristics
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »
If it has a gun it can kill you, its... scratch that. Anything in this game can kill you. Trees, C-47s, D3A, P40c, Ground, etc.

If you think a plane is an easy kill, you have just increased your chances of a quick trip to the tower.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2013, 05:00:54 AM »

If it has a gun it can kill you, its... scratch that. Anything in this game can kill you. Trees, C-47s, D3A, P40c, Ground, etc.

If you think a plane is an easy kill, you have just increased your chances of a quick trip to the tower.

Anything in this game can kill you, though chances of getting hit by powered turret from a plane turning / rolling at distance should be pretty slim, in AH you are likely to get hit if gunner knows what he is doing.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2013, 08:25:16 AM »
"We all have weapons......anybody can blow anybody away"

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »
Don't you wish this game had an "arena view mode" where you could tell everyone interested to be in a tower in the DA. Then they would all "tune" to you and your opponent for your demonstration. Then watch your ACM demonstration and hear your VOX in real time like being in a giant 3D cinema. At the end, if each player had their film viewer running, they walked away with a film of what they were watching and hearing.

Be an interesting way to watch the rounds of a dueling ladder or be the fans to a squad duel. Insta-ride along view to external views to theater view.

Fan Mode

Someday...............

That is the case for KOTH. Is camera eye view mode disabled for the DA?  I thought it was active.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2013, 12:47:49 PM »
That is the case for KOTH. Is camera eye view mode disabled for the DA?  I thought it was active.  :salute

AFAIK it is enabled.actually called godeye mode and you need to map a couple of commands but if I can do it anyone can!  I've been known to "watch" the odd dual,funny the players involved rarely know I'm there,unless I give a check 6... :devil

Big brother is everywhere!  You never know who's looking!!!

:salute

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »
Had great fun fighting Cobia and his A20 last night.  He seems to get a little testy when dies, but all in all, it was a great palm sweating fight. 

Nothing wrong with the A20... move along...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
Ran into Grayclif flying an A-20 the other day and let's just say he can't fly it like Cobia can.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
Ran into Grayclif flying an A-20 the other day and let's just say he can't fly it like Cobia can.

ack-ack

:rofl :rofl :rofl

:salute

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »

ack-ack
Maybe he doesnt have the cheatcodes?
AoM
City of ice

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2013, 06:22:54 AM »
Had great fun fighting Cobia and his A20 last night,with the help of my wingman.  He seems to get a little sarcastic when dies, but all in all, it was a great palm sweating fight. 

Nothing wrong with the A20... move along...

fixed it for you meat,  :neener:

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »
Last night, I was flying an A-20 in the base defense mode fighting off carrier planes. I had a couple of kills down in the weeds, and decided to grab some altitude for the next wave. I climbed to about 8k. I spotted an F4U at about 5k or 6k. He wisely kept his distance, while climbing.

I kept an eye on him, and eventually was able to slide in behind about 800 yards behind. The F4U attempted to extend. However, the range stayed steady at 800 yards. I fired a short burst at that distance and saw several hit sprites. This forced the Corsair pilot to maneuver. He went vertical. I didn't try to match that, instead, climbing at just 1k per minute. A low Niki jointed the pursuit, a little below me. The F4U came over the top, and I saw the icon change to F4U-4. "Okay", I thought to myself, "this is going to be a bit tougher." The F4U-4 held the advantage in the vertical, and I had to evade an attack. A few hits, but no damage other than the right flap being shot off. I decided to extend to build some speed. The F4U-4 nailed the Niki, which wasted its E trying to fight the much faster plane in the vertical. The F4U-4 rolls in behind, closing in a shallow dive.As he got within 1.2k, I began a lazy turn to the left. As the F4U-4 closed to less than 800 yards, I rolled level, pulled into the vertical and then rolled right. The F4U whistled on by, pulling into a steep climb. I had created my chance, and I followed him up. About 600 yards back, I pulled what I thought was enough lead and fired. Hit sprites concentrated at the trailing edge of the wing. Something flew off (probably a flap). It should have been enough... I hoped it would be enough... It wasn't. The F4U-4 was still flyable. My A-20 stalled and tumbled into a spin. I quickly stopped the spin, but the Corsair was on me and I had no time or airspeed to counter his attack. He shot off my wing.

Kappa got the kill. He earned it. I razzed him a little about it on 200... But it was a fun fight, and I was pleased that although I had ultimately lost, I had been able to wrestle that A-20 around well enough to have had an opportunity to win the fight.

Those of you who encounter an A-20 being flown aggressively, do not, for a second, take it lightly. There are some folks who can make that fat cousin of the P-38 dance like a star.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:30:53 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »
My TBM and SBD will pwn all A20's :old:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2013, 10:11:46 AM »
having flown the a20 lately I would consider it a prime candidate for attack mode only and no external view. it is the go to gv killer/base defender when FH down.

it is one of the older flight models as well. its performance is in such stark contrast to the b25 which is similar that it begs the question of which one flies more like a heavy attack aircraft.

my personal view is a flight model with the characteristics more similar to the b25 would be more accurate for the a20.

if thats not the case and the real a20 actually flew like a fighter with p51ish e retention and turn rate/radius on par with its purpose built p38 cousin... the thing needs to go into attack mode only with no external view.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »
having flown the a20 lately I would consider it a prime candidate for attack mode only and no external view. it is the go to gv killer/base defender when FH down.
+1

However, with current mechanics this would mean it will need to roll out of the FH instead of the BH.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »

it is one of the older flight models as well. its performance is in such stark contrast to the b25 which is similar that it begs the question of which one flies more like a heavy attack aircraft.

my personal view is a flight model with the characteristics more similar to the b25 would be more accurate for the a20.

if thats not the case and the real a20 actually flew like a fighter with p51ish e retention and turn rate/radius on par with its purpose built p38 cousin... the thing needs to go into attack mode only with no external view.

Several things here I disagree with.

1) The A-20 was designed to be agile... Pilots who flew it often stated that flew like a large fighter.

2) The A-20 is powered by the same engines as the B-25, but is much lighter. The A-20G comes in at just over 22,000 lb., and the B-25H weighs in just above 31,000 lb. The A-20 had 465 sq/ft of wing area. The B-25 had 610 sq/ft of wing. Thus, the combination of equal power, 30% less weight and significantly less drag results in a twin engine light bomber that greatly out-performs the B-25.

3) Its large mass and surplus power allow for very good E retention. When the Russians first received A-20s, they remarked that the plane was over-powered for a bomber and thus was surprisingly agile and fast. On low level missions, the fighter cover was very hard pressed to keep up.

One thing I agree with.

1) F3 overuse. F3 allows easier location of ground vehicles. One should not be able to shoot or bomb from the F3 position.

My idea of a fix...

1) Rather than eliminate F3 (the A-20 is more blind aft than the IL-2), I suggest limiting F3 view to the rear, and only the rear view of the gunner. Thus, it could be used like the rear view of many fighters.

What's missing from the A-20?

1) There's no armored glass or armor plate in front of the pilot. I've posted the images of the armor protection of the A-20 elsewhere. It was one of the best protected aircraft in the war.

2) The ventral .50 cal was never modeled, due to a lack of photos. We have the photos now, and it would be nice to have the gun modeled. Its weight is already modeled.

3) The A-20 was designed with an ultimate stress limit of +9g/-3g (excluding the safety margin designed in). We should not be pulling off wings at brief excursions to 7g.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.