Author Topic: Bomber Formations  (Read 1074 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Bomber Formations
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »
Your sarcasm has been noted, but not well received. I have a growing list of personal problems right now that is souring my mood quite rapidly. I'm asking nicely to please be respectful, I don't appreciate being talked down to.
sounds like a list of personal problems, none of which has anything to do with anyone outside of your personal life, nor do they exclude you from sarcasm. the only thing i will apologize for is the severity of my sarcastic repy, you make it too easy some times.

not that it should be something available to us in aces high but, yes there was a way to adjust the horizontal and vertical line of the twin turret mounted machine guns, but it wasn't a "convergence" setting per se'. the ball turret (b-17) gun mounts (according to the service manual i have) had 2 adjustment bolts that allowed the ground crew to align the guns (horizontally and vertically) when they were mounted...i have no information for other bombers. maybe Colmbo has access to more.

found a pretty good pic online...(which Dragon Tamer could have found to back his claims up)

+1 for changing the following distance of drones. This could add better bomb/damage dispersion among some of the bombers.
don't the bombs from all 3 planes in the formation hit in the exact same position now? if so, then changing the distance between the planes would not change the dispersion, they would still hit in the same spot.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:10:38 AM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »
I remember something about adjusting the guns on the B-17 turrets. As I recall they were set to converge at 1000 yards. Only makes sense that they could be adjusted, you would want both guns hitting where the sight was pointed.
:airplane: I ran a bunch of tests in the TA, using the target that you can call up, and I found that the three tail guns, mother ship and drones converaged at 750 yards. I did not try the ball or top turrets, so don't know about them.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »
Bomber convergence is 500 feet.  Always, hitech set it.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »
Bomber convergence is 500 feet.  Always, hitech set it.

ding ding.  I'm glad someone else beat me to it.  So in short, if you want to target a fighter who is creeping up on your bomber fire ONLY the gun you're in.  Otherwise, you're wasting ammo.  Once they get to that 800 yard range and are closing fast then hit the "all fire" button and let loose the dogs of war!   :aok

If you get a hit on them at or near 500 yards they are as good as dead.  Also, there are aircraft with dorsal turrets only that are limited to what they can fire at at the dead six position thanks to the tail.  In that case, learn how to hop in to the gun of one of the drones and in many cases you can at least fire the gun of the drone.   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
Huh .... didn't know about the single gun option. Guess I woulda had I been more the buff gunner type.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »

don't the bombs from all 3 planes in the formation hit in the exact same position now? if so, then changing the distance between the planes would not change the dispersion, they would still hit in the same spot.

No they do not. They will land in a pattern in relation to the plane dropping them.  If the bombers are more spread out so would the bombs.
     I like the idea.  It would give more reason for tailoring a loadout to a specific target. It would give both a tactical advantage or disadvantage against enemy aircraft as the gun convergences would be more, or less effective against an enemy.  An example of this would be a heavily armed fighter making a rudder sweep against a close formation and being able to destroy multiple aircraft in one pass, but at the same time come under heavier converged fire versus attacking a looser formation. 
     Perhaps a .command like .distance or .formation with two or three values effecting at maximum a difference of a planes full wing length?

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
this thread has been Hijacked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixYKwkR210
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »
this thread has been Hijacked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixYKwkR210

The concerning part to me is your life events that led you to find that video :D

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »
I was looking up stuff about airshows and somehow that came up...
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight