Author Topic: Vertical Turn (High Yo Yo) Example  (Read 682 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Vertical Turn (High Yo Yo) Example
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:17:19 PM »
I've been saving and reviewing films lately, especially anytime I (luckily) make a nice snap-shot, for a squad gunnery course we're doing.  In reviewing a recent film of a snap shot (with trails on), I stumbled across what looked like a nice example of a big vertical turn (very high yo yo) intersecting a tight flat turn circle, and really demonstrating the "egg over the circle" concept.  

Here are two screenshots of it.  I filled in what trails didn't show in the screenshot and added some reference points.  Rather than just share it with my squad, I thought I'd post it here for the whole AH community.  This is likely redundant for anyone who's done training, watched ACM films or read Shaw, but if it proves helpful to anyone, then great.

I also made a 45 second AH film file of this, but I don't feel right posting it here in the public forum without the other pilot's permission.  If you really, really want it for review, I may be able to provide it if you shoot me a PM.

:salute
Ryno
VF-17

ANOTHER VIEW OF SAME ENGAGEMENT SHOWING THE "EGG OVER A CIRCLE" VERTICAL TURN INTERSECTING FLAT TURN

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:19:33 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Vertical Turn (High Yo Yo) Example
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:29:19 AM »
Awesome!  :aok

I've always pulled these moves knowing they'd work, but I have no idea as to WHY they work. This really puts it into perspective.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
Re: Vertical Turn (High Yo Yo) Example
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
 :salute

It's always nice to get a review on ACMs like this from a new source and perspective, much appriciated! I'm sure one could safely say so in regards to most of the AH community :aok

I appriciate how it shows the C2s reverse turn, most diagrams or examples will simplafy the ingagement with a continued flat turn in the c2s position but this example reminds us of the dynamic and ever changing nature of a dogfight :old:

My respect to Kingpin and of course Latrobe, may the sky gods continue to favor your birds :salute
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"