Author Topic: In the Middle of 130mm Field Artillery Barrage  (Read 535 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: In the Middle of 130mm Field Artillery Barrage
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »
nope...did you notice the little green tent? if you were face down in the dirt, in the end furthest away from the howitzer sitting there, you would have a decent change of surviving the barrages...assuming they didn't eventually get a good hit on or very close to it.

Eh, I have no combat experience but I find it hard to imagine with thousands of shrapnel flying around, that close, that at least one wouldn't hit you. Even if it didn't, the concussion would probably leave you disabled and remove your hearing permanently. Then again, maybe some one else with knowledge on this subject could expand it further.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 03:10:41 PM »
Eh, I have no combat experience but I find it hard to imagine with thousands of shrapnel flying around, that close, that at least one wouldn't hit you. Even if it didn't, the concussion would probably leave you disabled and remove your hearing permanently. Then again, maybe some one else with knowledge on this subject could expand it further.
i didn't say anything about surviving unscathed...  :rofl
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
Great video, pretty good time on target effects with the first salvo too, all 4 rounds hit within about 1/4 of a second of each other, perfect really.

That close in shot of the tube artillery piece being used as a target was interesting, if you freeze frame/slow it, you can easily see the incoming round prior to it striking.  You can also see the shock waves from the last few shots of the video, seeing the dust lift off the ground in about a 50 yard radius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMShVkgvQEs

Here is a video of some good ol' US of A firepower, the MLRS being filmed at launch and in the target area.  Artillery is pretty crazy stuff.  A friend and co-worker that was a scout sniper with the Marines at the tip of the spear during the 2003 invasion of Iraq told me that he was behind a wall once when danger close artillery was called in on Iraqi troops and vehicles in the open, and it was the most hellish display he'd ever seen, and he still thought about it daily years after the war - this from a guy who had high double digits to his credit for sniper kills, Sgt Brent Clearman.  After all that small arms related combat he saw, it was the friendly artillery display that really stuck with him over the years.  Again, artillery is pretty crazy stuff, I've read that it accounts for the lions share of the casualties in every war since WW1, and I believe it.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 06:06:39 PM »
i didn't say anything about surviving unscathed...  :rofl

Who need legs? 'Tis a silly thing anyway.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp