Author Topic: Depression?  (Read 938 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Depression?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »
lol, Golfer thanks for the pics...the second one is a real mood enhancer.  :devil   :angel: 
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »
I'm not a doctor but something I've observed....

check your diet. My brother is Mormon, same depression as you, at one point wanted to end it all. He then discovered coffee and it has changed his life. Keep a journal of how you feel and what you've eaten. Over time you'll notice some foods help, others hurt. This is not the final answer but your diet definitely impacts your moods.

my two cents. And when in doubt look up JG5, you can fly German Iron with us.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 01:16:26 PM »
Drugs work and are not necessarily permanent. I had a bad patch a few years ago. I didn't like the idea of taking drugs but at some point I realized that I wasn't getting over it and that I had nothing to lose.  Exercise etc. was not doing it. The drugs I took we're SSRI's, (all this is googleable,) started on Prozac than Zoloft then Paxil. Took Paxil for a year and a half than tapered off. There were some side effects, (a slight increase in my natural susceptibility to motion sickness, some sleepiness, a certain thing related to time and sex which most men would see as positive,) but the primary effects were immensely helpful. I was able to get things done. I stopped ruminating, (look it up if you don't know what that is,) and generally I was able to be much more outgoing and confident.

One thing I would say is that the drug companies and health insurance companies would be happy to have you believe that drugs will cure everything. People are different, some people are best served by taking an antidepressant as you would a high blood pressure medicine, others only need it for a time. I personally think that the best thing to do to treat depression is have a combination of so called talk therapy and drugs as appropriate. The drugs can really snap the back of what Winston Churchill called his Black Dog, but something like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can help a person to be more resistant to the beast and also get more out of the relief the drugs can afford.

You might run across the occasional ignorant person that doesn't believe that depression is anything but a failure of will or a lack of exercise, they are entitled to their beliefs but you don't have to listen to them. You have the right if not the duty to be your own advocate.  You don't have to stand for this depression crap.

Pies not kicks.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 07:41:02 PM »
realize that some depression medication actually has increased risk of suicide and suicidal thoughts as a side effect.  If you go on meds you really need to understand that as soon as you feel suicidal you MUST go in for treatment and adjustment of your meds.  It helps to have someone else who can help you through it, to be able to recognize your mood swings before you do or act on them.

Also, sometimes anxiety seems about the same as depression.  For example, if you don't feel like going out and you hang out in your house all day, but it's because the thought of fighting traffic that turns you off, then maybe it is anxiety and not really depression.

In any case, you need pro treatment, try behavioral treatments before medications, find a buddy to help you through especially when you start or change meds, and if you EVER feel suicidal or have suicidal thoughts you need to immediately go in for treatment or meds balancing because the meds can actually cause you to feel suicidal.  Oh yea...  come up with a foolproof method to regularly take your meds.  Skipping or doubling a dose can lead straight to psychosis or suicidal thoughts without warning, so you need to be SURE you are on the meds exactly as prescribed.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
Find a local recommendation for a Clinical Psychologist and make the first appointment.  Make further appointments with him/her, depending on how you felt talking about your issues.  If you're not comfortable, find another psychologist.

If needed, they'll recommended a Psychiatrist to see about any medications, whether short term or long term.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 08:54:26 PM »
<---impatient twice 8 months of cutting and suicidal thoughts still have deep depression on Prozac now for it and  a heath program
former squeaker, but you wont 1v1 about it
Most my friends are banned......
Kommando Nowotny

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »
At one point in our lives I had it all.  Then it was gone.  I spent many months reliving what we were only to come to the conclusion that if I don't want to be here this same time next year I had better stop feeling sorry for myself and do something about it.  In other words what you are doing now is not going to change your life.  What you can do is at least a step in the right direction.  Pick something you like to do and start doing it.  You may find way to make money at it.  If its not money you will at a minimum find people that like to do what you do.  What you put out there will respond to your endeavors.  Dare to put yourself out there.  But do not continue to dare yourself to stay in a bed.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 11:04:58 PM »
realize that some depression medication actually has increased risk of suicide and suicidal thoughts as a side effect. 

Yeah. The wife and I see those commercials and go 'WTFO.'  :huh

Offline thedoom26

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 01:41:39 AM »
thanks everybody  :salute
My name is Talin555 and if you get shot down by me, You should slap your self, Because i am not the best at  fighting.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
My nephew ended it all. Very hard on the family and me personally. He had spent a lifetime on these types of meds, back when they did not know as much about the side effects, etc. It is coming off of the drugs that seems to cause the biggest problems. This is why I advocate food, exercise and engagement. Someone pointed out find something you like and get after it. I agree.

Just know that many on this board have concerns, even if we are grumpy bterds. You aren't alone.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »
I would contribute but don't know if wearing hi heels at the weekends is really therapy or a fashion statement :)

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
See your Doctor, Zack.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 08:54:59 PM »
pharmaceuticals are NOT the answer...they will enslave you even more then you are already....which is of course what they want....."oh your kid is hyper...gee lets give him ridlin"...so he can be addicted from an early age...... 

find someone you trust to talk to.....smoke some bud.....bud wont cure it, but it has wonderful properties to make everything better....

from one who has dealt with massive head issues.....DO NOT TAKE THEIR PHARMACEUTICALS.......

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 09:45:38 PM »
Sorry to hear it ink, but as above, that's not been my experience.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »
Sorry to hear it ink, but as above, that's not been my experience.

I see all kinds of people complain and say they are depressed and suicidal.....wanna know how many have slept on the streets when they were 7-8-9 years old?    had to live out of dumpsters.....how many have been held hostage and raped at 12 years old??????  picked up off the streets by strangers?????  put into jail for NO crime.....but running from a very abusive "dad"  and a viscous step mom...fighting everyday to live........being mentally....and physically abused daily.....

no these kids now a days complain because their ipod was taken from them....or because there mommy didn't hug them enough....or they actually might have to work to earn some money.

I have been in the system many many years....trust me pharmaceuticals kill your spirit...and destroy your will.....

I have had the gun to my head....the knife to my wrist...the pill bottle in hand.....yet I am still here....I still have issues..... but I refuse to give in...refuse to bow down to the system and let them kill my free thinking.......

this world caters to the weak of mind....for that is what they want...they want you to depend on them for everything....while giving nothing, but taking everything......it sickens me the way people are....sickens me.