Author Topic: Step into the wayback machine.  (Read 1728 times)

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
Re: Step into the wayback machine.
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »
I remember when I first logged on to AW II. That whole internet thing was new stuff to me. My first few attempts failed but eventually my determination payed off and I was able to log on at Gamestorm. So there I was in the training arena taking off in a p51. I called my Dad in and he sat down to watch. I flew along for a short bit full of anticipation. All of a sudden I see swirling black dots in the distance and I start saying rather excitedly "There they are, there they are!". It amazed me how people from all over the world were in there playing that game. It still amazes me.  :aok

For a good number of us we remember a time before internet and computers. So when this stuff started coming out it was like a dream coming true. How often does that happen? I think thats why the impressions from back then are so strong.

"A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all"
Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 01:57:39 AM »
Going all the way back to the eighties man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpv7dPTxLj0
I still have that game and one that's pacific based. For amiga and the amiga 500 puter.
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 03:31:45 AM »
I remember getting 12 kills while having a b17 park at the end of runway.  we only 3 gunners we ended up with over 30 kills between all of us.  we ended up flying back to base and land with no ammo.  those were the good days.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 03:55:36 AM »
For a good number of us we remember a time before internet and computers. So when this stuff started coming out it was like a dream coming true. How often does that happen? I think thats why the impressions from back then are so strong.

Amen. AH was the first internet game I ever played and I remember how fascinated I was that you could actually fly against other people from all over the world in near, real time. I was 24yo before I even saw a PC. :D
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 04:50:38 AM »
I remember practising WB for a month or two before splurging to the pay-per-minute dialup gameplay. It was the most exciting gameplay I ever imagined - real people instead of boring scripted bots.

I've never played offline games since.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »
if you guys have been flying so long...how come you all suk at fighting........  :neener:

im teasing.....

I didn't get my first system till 04 I was 34 years old....while you guys were playing a game I was out breaking legs in the RW......... :O

but damn when I saw AH the first time and saw Jozepi flying that 38 bomber he explained that the red cons were real people......

I said "really those are real people you get to kill????? and NOT go to prison.......count me in"

I had stopped breaking legs, when my kids came into the picture.......but needed to get out that pent up anger.....

the rest is history  :rock

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 08:39:32 AM »
Going all the way back to the eighties man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpv7dPTxLj0

My first non-cardboard combat flight sim!  :rock

Still have the complete box, sitting on the top of the shelf as part of my nerd shrine now  :old:

:banana:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »
I forgot my Squad name but I flew as Pakkus and Pepe Le Peu. Was top bomber once. Use to load all gun positions in a B-17 and torture the crews by flying inverted. My first AW computer was an Atari ST then upgraded to an Amiga 2000 and 2 PCs 386 and 486 processors with math coprocessors (now, thats really hi tech). It was a wonderful time... :old: