Author Topic: Yak9T  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Yak9T
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
I have been flying it exclusively for the past week and I love it.

Yes you have and I made the mistake of thinking you'd miss.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »
It's a pig, but it's really fun to use. A lot of people don't think too much of it; however, even though it is a pig, it's a very capable one in the right hands.

That 37mm cannon in the nose can get you a couple dozen kills in one sortie if it's used properly.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 01:50:30 AM »
That 37mm cannon in the nose can get you a couple dozen kills in one sortie if it's used properly.

Absolute Rubbish, only holds 32 rnds and a short fuel range. You'd have to be shooting a willing squadmate,shade, or vulching goons to score 24 kills in one sortie..

Over the years of flying the Yak T in the LW MA no one in AH has more kills vs fighters or flying hours in Yak T than me.. There is no way you can bag 24 kills in one sortie. Think the best I ever achieved was 11 before fuel forced rtb and that probably included a buff or two.

It is possible to score 5 kills vs fighters for 5 rnds but that takes a lot of skill and luck which is a level far beyond just using the tater properly.

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:04:46 AM by Gixer »

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »
Absolute Rubbish, only holds 32 rnds and a short fuel range. You'd have to be shooting a willing squadmate,shade, or vulching goons to score 24 kills in one sortie..

Over the years of flying the Yak T in the LW MA no one in AH has more kills vs fighters or flying hours in Yak T than me.. There is no way you can bag 24 kills in one sortie. Think the best I ever achieved was 11 before fuel forced rtb and that probably included a buff or two.

It is possible to score 5 kills vs fighters for 5 rnds but that takes a lot of skill and luck which is a level far beyond just using the tater properly.

<S>...-Gixer

You're probably right. It's easy to overestimate the limits of that aircraft because the gun is so lethal. But the fact remains that you can shoot down basically any aircraft with a single shot.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 04:25:38 AM »
You're probably right. It's easy to overestimate the limits of that aircraft because the gun is so lethal. But the fact remains that you can shoot down basically any aircraft with a single shot.

Yes, but when aircraft is moving landing that single hit is a big challange. At best you might average one hit in five with exceptional shooting and at very close range.

Problem for Yak T against other planes is that after a merge you might have one or two chances to land that single shot, unless the other guy makes a lot of errors it's unlikely you will get a chance for a third shot or more especially aginst the uber rides in the LW arena.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 04:38:47 PM »
Wonder if the great grandchildren of any Lagg3 66 or Yak9T pilots ever played this game and described to the old gents how we furball in them. Especially since they required fighter cover to perform their real missions.

Primarily ground attack and low level bomber interception if they could catch up to them or, arrange things to be waiting for them.

Though logic, physics, and luck dictate, if you are close enough, and tap the trigger at the correct point in the equation. And you don't have six sqweekers in spit16 hovering around looking for easy kills. Or one vet in a 109 with a hot tater to share. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
About a year ago when I was flying 109s I ran into a few very good yak pilots, but I thin they were usually in the U models.

Or one vet in a 109 with a hot tater to share. 

That's a great quote right there Bustr :rofl
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"