Author Topic: WWII fighters  (Read 624 times)

Offline eeyore

• Copper Member
WWII fighters
« on: July 07, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »
http://youtu.be/9r3ca2wJaH4

Interesting video, though the title is misleading. The video makes a few excellent points, minutia to some but areas that I feel could be improved in game.

11:29 Narrator: "Fortunately the P-47 in skilled hands proved to be a more than capable fighter even in a low altitude turning fight."

15:05 Jim Byers, P-38 pilot: "After the put hydraulic boosters on... We could out roll spitfires, P51s or any of the rest of them with aileron boosters. We could out turn anybody."

Just food for thought. Maybe the flight models need to be revisited? At least maybe to account for hydraulic boosters in the 38L to improve the roll rate.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: WWII fighters
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »
15:05 Jim Byers, P-38 pilot: "After the put hydraulic boosters on... We could out roll spitfires, P51s or any of the rest of them with aileron boosters. We could out turn anybody."

It is already modeled... the P38L has the roll rate that exceeds P47s and even 190s at high speed. Unfortunately, converting this potential into an advantage can be difficult for novices.

I don't like the L much, I find I over roll the aircraft after being so accustomed to the P38J. Interestingly enough, this same effect occurred historically for P38 drivers converting to the L as well.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!