Author Topic: Question for HTC  (Read 491 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Question for HTC
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »
In this below, HT mentioned spline interpolation (I knew so little about it I had to copy and paste...). He said that it is not currently incorporated in the game because the feature can not run on older systems so those players can not play the game because every player has to see the same terrain shape. I've seen similar things come up about other topics regarding low end systems. My computer falls into the mid to low system range so I do appreciate that they are thinking of guys like me.

My question is: In the future (lets say 5 years time), would you ever modify the game in such ways as well as the minimum requirements or will it more or less stay the same? After all a computer that's 16 years old is beyond obsolete right? I can't even think of anyone who has managed to keep a computer going for 16 years.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,350519.0.html

Please be gentle with my beatings...

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Question for HTC
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 11:05:24 PM »
It isn't that it won't run, it is that the performance impact would render the game rather unplayable for marginal systems and make lower end systems marginal.

It isn't something like bump mapping or specular mapping, it is just higher polygon counts.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 08:11:42 AM »
My question is: In the future (lets say 5 years time), would you ever modify the game in such ways as well as the minimum requirements or will it more or less stay the same? After all a computer that's 16 years old is beyond obsolete right? I can't even think of anyone who has managed to keep a computer going for 16 years.

You wouldn't believe how old computers people have and use, not to mention companies. It depends mostly what the computers are used for. Quite recently I did some maintenance on a Windows 95 rig, which served as a typewriter. A few years ago I was asked to find working 486 PC's for spares. They were needed in a factory for driving dedicated production related programs. Recoding would have cost tens of thousands, replacing a broken PC only single hundreds of euros including the work. So a well kept computer of today would run AH fluently after a decade, but only the version of we have now.

Having hung along for over a decade I can say that AH changes very slowly. During this time the minimums have come up somewhat, I recall the reference rig used to be a Duron 750 based one running Win98, now the minimum CPU is 1.8 MHz running XP. You can get better rigs for free from companies whose storage rooms are full. I recently demolished a dozen of P4 2,4 MHz desktops for a customer, there's no aftermarket for such any more. After all, the Pentium4 Willamette 1.8MHz was released already in 2000, so the minimum rig is about twelve years old now!

I've read one reason for keeping the requirements low is the enormous popularity of cheapish laptops people try to play with. Entertainment is becoming more and more dominant in all home computing, so I guess and hope in a near future (your five years span) even the Intel graphical circuitry will be able to run today's games or at least AH with a high eye candy level.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 11:51:20 AM »
I can't even think of anyone who has managed to keep a computer going for 16 years.
Please be gentle with my beatings...
I have a Z80 CPU running on a bread board :D The thing was made in 1976 :). But i get your point
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"