Author Topic: Buggy dar-bar  (Read 218 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Buggy dar-bar
« on: June 18, 2013, 11:17:44 PM »
I've noticed lately that the dar-bar has been acting funny. Sometimes it won't show a con is in the sector even though they are well above the 200 foot NOE limit. It doesn't show a dar-bar for my plane (if memory serves it never did anyway), but I'll have a squaddie flying right next to me and he won't have a dar-bar either.

A good example is that today I was jumped by a spixteen shortly after taking off in a 262. The spit never registered a dar-bar for the sector and never showed up on radar (not sure if it was knocked out or not).

Just something I thought might need some looking into, was never really a problem until today.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Buggy dar-bar
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »
For the last 3 weeks I've seen this. I will be in contact with my squad mates who are furballing near by while I'm in the tower. I will ask the normal, how many and how high. So far the worst has been 6 above 5k. The only dar in that sector is theirs. My local tower is not destroyed during this.

A question I've never asked about strats.

In the last 3 weeks the knights strats have been receiving attention and the radar factory has been under 50% a lot. Does that effect the overall ability of the individual radar rings across the country or the HQ's master radar functionality?

I hope the answer is yes because it would be a bit more realistic to how chained systems to a master center would operate. Other wise, Lucy we gots a problem.........
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »
I've noticed lately that the dar-bar has been acting funny. Sometimes it won't show a con is in the sector even though they are well above the 200 foot NOE limit. It doesn't show a dar-bar for my plane (if memory serves it never did anyway), but I'll have a squaddie flying right next to me and he won't have a dar-bar either.

A good example is that today I was jumped by a spixteen shortly after taking off in a 262. The spit never registered a dar-bar for the sector and never showed up on radar (not sure if it was knocked out or not).

Just something I thought might need some looking into, was never really a problem until today.

I hope it's ok to quote Skuzzy!  :angel:

This may help explain about dar bar. Here's what I was told in regards to airplanes entering sectors:

"The radar bar does not update in real time.  It is a timed update.  It will
depend on where you are in relation to the sector line and how long you were
in the sector, as well as how long the other player was in the sector.
Clipping a corner of a sector can result in not seeing the radar bar
trigger, or it can.  It would depend on the last update time.

Lot of variables involved.

'Dar' bar is supposed to be 'iffy'.  Not absolute.  It is designed that way
so as to allow the potential for being surprised."

"Again, bar updates are not real time.  When you got within visible view
range, your computer triggered the radar bar update to everyone.  All he had
to do was be in the sector longer than you and he could have gotten an
update before you."
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
'Dar' bar is supposed to be 'iffy'.  Not absolute.  It is designed that way
so as to allow the potential for being surprised."

It's not. The fact that darbar often behaves totally erratically is a bug in my book. Watching two friendly bombers heading to the strats at 20k for 20 minutes without ever showing a darbar on my screen is a bug. Running into enemy fighters at 28k with a darbar only appearing on map when they get into dot display range is a bug.

If darbar really was meant to be THAT eraticallly, by letting even multi plane missions not create any darbar for extended times for some players only, it should be documented somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:49:37 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LtBombero

• Zinc Member
      • Escuadrón Aereo 201, Aguilas Mayas
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:18:42 AM »
I too noticed this yesterday, as I was attacked by two planes at 30 K, only one of which generated DAR bar..... :headscratch:

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:18:01 AM »
No dar bar at the moment this was pulled from the film.

I'm sure I was generating one or they would not have been there.

It still works more often than not but I think someone flying noe or below 60 feet who leaves the map or has a disco might not always display a dar bar or dot when back in play.