Author Topic: Steep descents  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
Re: Steep descents
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
Conjugate gradients. Anyone?

First :   Oh Dude!, really?   ... Let me put this as plainly as I am able, "NO MATH in Public!"   :old:

Second:  Anyone who has been through any military flight training  :airplane: knows that the best defense is, "I was told there would be no math!"  (Turns out Firemen and Paramedics learn the same defensive maneuver)

Third:   TIs and CASIOs were not yet available in WWII, therefore a "Conjugate gradient" would be a bit challenging on a circular slide rule (Aka: E6B)  :neener:

Lastly:  Wouldn't it be a biconjugate gradient?    :confused:

<S>

- Rodent57

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline blkblade

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 12:54:56 PM »
First :   Oh Dude!, really?   ... Let me put this as plainly as I am able, "NO MATH in Public!"   :old:

Second:  Anyone who has been through any military flight training  :airplane: knows that the best defense is, "I was told there would be no math!"  (Turns out Firemen and Paramedics learn the same defensive maneuver)

Third:   TIs and CASIOs were not yet available in WWII, therefore a "Conjugate gradient" would be a bit challenging on a circular slide rule (Aka: E6B)  :neener:

Lastly:  Wouldn't it be a biconjugate gradient?    :confused:

<S>

- Rodent57

Ah! There's a mathmatician!
And keep your krylov space to yourself.  :old:

I have reason to believe the squirrels are mocking me.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 09:59:45 AM »
In mathematics, the conjugate gradient method is an algorithm for the numerical solution of particular systems of linear equations, namely those whose matrix is symmetric and positive-definite. The conjugate gradient method is an iterative method, so it can be applied to sparse systems that are too large to be handled by direct methods such as the Cholesky decomposition. Such systems often arise when numerically solving partial differential equations.

The conjugate gradient method can also be used to solve unconstrained optimization problems such as energy minimization. It was developed by Magnus Hestenes and Eduard Stiefel.[1]

The biconjugate gradient method provides a generalization to non-symmetric matrices. Various nonlinear conjugate gradient methods seek minima of nonlinear equations.

Simple.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »
   ^^^^

Simple??  Ok then tell me this,ever notice pies are round and cakes are square?

How exactly does one get pie are square??

:salute

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 03:51:40 PM »
Beats me, I am more of a naught plus naught equals naught type.

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 12:20:53 AM »
What everyone else said.  Kick full rudder and chop throttle to keep your speed under control.

Online JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
In mathematics, the conjugate gradient method is an algorithm for the numerical solution of particular systems of linear equations, namely those whose matrix is symmetric and positive-definite. The conjugate gradient method is an iterative method, so it can be applied to sparse systems that are too large to be handled by direct methods such as the Cholesky decomposition. Such systems often arise when numerically solving partial differential equations.

The conjugate gradient method can also be used to solve unconstrained optimization problems such as energy minimization. It was developed by Magnus Hestenes and Eduard Stiefel.[1]

The biconjugate gradient method provides a generalization to non-symmetric matrices. Various nonlinear conjugate gradient methods seek minima of nonlinear equations.

Simple.

I am impressed Flat!!!! And you sound just like a country boy!!!! :aok  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »
About a month or so into this, and the biggest thing I've learned is that the best way, for me at least, to figure about what a plane can and can't do, what speed to cruise at, what speed to fight at, how much speed you loose in a maneuver, etc, is to just climb in it, and try to be methodical about finding out (and write your notes down).  Also, even though lots of info is available on the internet on the characteristics of the planes, I still have 4 or 5 questions every time I play (is there a range finder command for the ships and field arty? Is there a place to go to look for info on leading your guns for moving targets? How much does a 37mm round drop per 1k feet of travel?).  I sense that somewhere there's a massive list of commands and tools, but I haven't found it yet.  And I'm still making tactical mistakes and general errors like crazy.  Some times I feel like I'm stumbling through the learning process, like grabbing an LVT, hitting the beach, making it to town, and realizing I took supplies and no troops.  Or getting turned around in the trees between close bases and sending 6 rounds into my own radar tower.  But every now then I'll wipe out three incoming B-24's with one 8" salvo from the cruiser, drop smoke 10 feet behind an enemy tank, or walk 2 seconds of .50 cal down the spine of a plane, and it keeps me coming back.  This is a lot like golf, but you get to shoot at stuff.   
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:48:56 PM by Yankee67 »
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »
This is a lot like golf, but you get to shoot at stuff.   

Lots of parallels.  There's 'science' behind dog fighting and golf, but the in the higher levels of play it's about touch, feel, correct judgement and nuance.  You can read a golf book, work on your swing, and hack your way around a bit better than you had, but it takes time to refine what you've read and truly make it work.  Same is true in AH.

I've also found attitude control is another similarity, and maybe more important in AH than what most realize.  Committing to the shot in golf is very similar to committing to your attack/defense and believing you're going to pull it off.  A few duels I've been in against very good sticks led me to realize that I really never believed I was going to win even as I began to roll on the runway.  While that feeling was firmly based in reality ( :)), it's not conducive winning.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »
   ^^^^

Simple??  Ok then tell me this,ever notice pies are round and cakes are square?

How exactly does one get pie are square??

Square pan pizza pie.   :banana:
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 10:44:40 PM »
Golf is for those unable to take the pace of shuffleboard...

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 08:49:46 AM »
Golf is for those unable to take the pace of shuffleboard...

I remember saying that.  I really sucked at golf then.

;)

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 10:30:44 PM »
Square pan pizza pie.   :banana:

Mmmmmmm... Pizza.

Pie R Squared   :aok
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.