Author Topic: YES "U" CAN GET 10-15 (and more) Kills per Sortie!  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
Re: YES "U" CAN GET 10-15 (and more) Kills per Sortie!
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 12:25:37 AM »
Stagger convergence at 350 (inner), 325 (mid) and 300 (outer) when your gun package is a .50 cal six-pack.

(Image removed from quote.)

150 yd snapshot off either wing carries more punch and hits out to 350 still hit hard.

Nice Arlo.  I'll have to try that on my Hogs.  One of the biggest cons with the hog imho is the convergence - doesn't seem as good as Jug/F6F. 
As for getting kills credited after the fact, I've flown the jug more than anything else and fly it just as Ammo described (natural concession to its strengths vs weaknesses).  I'd guess that roughly 15% of my kills come after the fact or during rtb.  1v1 I'd take the hellcat or hog over the jug, but my k/d in the jug is better than either due in part to  more ping kills/toughness/views.
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 12:40:46 AM »
For my hogs, I set up at 250, 200, 175.

I like to get close  :D
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 01:28:48 AM »
Here is how it works. I was fooling around with my convergence. I decided to put one of my 50's all the way out. One all the way in. And one right in the middle. I wasn't to happy with it because as I shot at the enemy, I would see their plane have little hits spread all over it, like I was hitting it with a BB Machine Gun. So I headed back to base being very disappointed. But to my surprise I start seeing kills credited to me. I was like ecstatic, This is awesome, I've found the HOLY GRAIL!

Well, you have all done it. Hit an enemy plane and he flies off. While your into your second battle of the sortie you get a kill from the first battle. So I started thinking..........why waist all your ammo, fuel, flying time, taking chances of getting shot down by staying on the Bandit till he goes down in flames? Heck, just tag him good and let em go. Could you tag 10 Bandits and let them go battle someone else and get 10 kills? Well they are going to win a few of those fights but you might get 6, 7, 8 kills with this method.

Now your all laughing at this point or saying I'm crazier than whats his name, MidwayWhoPhP(NewName Coming In 2 Days) But, Just Maybe, Possibly this might work. Some of you might be thinking Yea, it works, I did it myself. And I wasn't going to tell anyone else, just keep it for myself.

OK.********** It does sound crazy but who is willing to try it and report back here with film in hand to prove it can be done. Beat the system so to speak. Maybe Aces High will change where you battle a guy for 5 minutes, shoot half a wing off, destroy his landing gear, wound the pilot and finally blow the plane to hello and back to only get an assist. LOL I hate that!

What do you think?

KimoSabe

What you set your convergence to is basically a personal preference, set it to what you think works best for you.  However, the convergence you've set isn't very effective and when you hit, it's not with the full force of all of your guns.  All you're doing is just peppering the bandit, decreasing your chance of doing any critical damage unless you get lucky and score a Golden BB hit with the convergence you've set.

Look at the number of assists you had last tour, it's rather high (82) relative to your kills (139).  Your convergence is a large factor in that and with a tighter staggered convergence, you'd see where before you maybe got an assist on a plane, you're getting the kill instead.  If you feel a staggered convergence works best for you, Arlo's settings are a good idea and a good basis to start on to fine tune it to your preference.  Personally, my preference is to set convergence to a single point and close (400 yards) if I'm in a plane with wing mounted guns (I don't use convergence in the P-38).  This way the power of all my guns are at the point of impact.

Remember that convergence is only half the equation.  Your convergence doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you can't hit what you're shooting at.  I know a lot of players stagger that convergence for that reason, their gunnery skills suck.  Take some time and either go offline or in the TA and enable the LCS (lead computing sight) and fly around engaging targets.  The LCS will help you learn how much you need to lead the bandit when you shoot, do this for a few hours until you get the hang of it.  I would also recommend you that read the following article at SimHQ, Air to Air Gunnery Revisited - Guns, Gunsights, and Convergence.  

Another important factor is your gunsight, whether you use a custom or historical one, it's important to know how to use it properly.  

Gunnery is something that is often over looked by the majority of players, thinking that flying is the only skill that is needed.  You can be a good pilot but it doesn't amount to anything if you can't hit the broad side of a mountain.  Gunnery is a skill that needs just as much work as flying, take the time to practice and you'll see that you're shooting down more planes instead of just making holes in a bunch of them.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:30:39 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 03:11:48 AM »
Arlo when you do that you're only hitting at one specific range with maybe half your guns, maybe less. Those lines may look like lasers, but each gun has its own dispersion pattern based on many factors, and the actual target you're shooting at (wings) will be thinner than that dispersion pattern.

You're still screwing yourself out of the best possible condition: hitting on target with ALL guns at the same spot.

If you find yourself firing more at planes at 150 yards, so much so that you want convergence at that range, just set ALL GUNS to 150. You can still spray-to-scare at planes 600 out, since you don't have to actually hit them at convergence to scare them.

Besides, you should be aiming for 1 spot. The cockpit. No matter where the plane is. Aim small, miss small.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 04:20:15 AM »
When I shoot i want to see the enemy disintegrate. Anything less the 4 nose mounted hispanos feels weak. 1 plane exploding in your face is better then two delayed kill messages. Give me instant gratification.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 04:24:43 AM »
Arlo when you do that you're only hitting at one specific range with maybe half your guns,

It does offer some more versatility for wing-mounted guns though, because the dispersion is lower, muzzle velocity higher and the target bigger when very close in. Solidly connecting with one bank is better than bracketing your target. I use this technique in the Ki-84.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 08:25:11 AM »
A few rules of thumb to keep in mind when selecting your convergence:

1. The longer the convergence setting, the less meaningful it is to converge. The guns have scatter. At 400+ yards it is already significant enough that the bullets from one gun will disperse all over the target anyway. There is little point to argue about whether 500 or 600 is better.

2. The effective shooting range is twice your convergence - the bullets fly in an "X" pattern. At twice your convergence, the distance between the centers of the stream will be the same as the distance between the left/right guns on your wings. Set your convergence to 200 yards and at 400 or above you are not likely to hit with more than 1 set of guns. In particular, there will not be any bullets hitting your aiming point and the two streams will go crossed-eyed on both sides of the aiming dot.

3. The "in convergence" range interval is up to half your convergence setting - So if you set your guns to 300 yards, then between 150 and 450 yards (300+-300/2) the distance between your left/right aiming points is less then the distance between your centerline and the guns on your wing, which can be considered as close enough to be converged on a target wing root for example. This is why staggering 250,300,350 is not so bad because their convergence interval overlaps significantly. It is usually a very bad idea to spread them even more to where their convergence zones do not mostly overlap. Short convergence setting makes this zone smaller.
(This is a vague definition, so for planes with widely spread guns some may consider 1/4 of the convergence range are their "in-convergence" interval - i.e. all aiming points are less then 1/2 the distance between your fuselage and your guns.)

The above 3 rules are rough estimates that change a little from plane to plane depending on the length of the baseline between the guns. 190s, and 205 have wingroot guns so they always tend to be closer to convergence then the guns on the P47N that are WAY out there.

So, you see that the exact convergence is important only if you set it very short. If you like setting it to around 200 yards then fine tuning is important. If on the other hand they are set to the 300-400'ish ranges, the exact configuration (staggered, concentrated, +- 50 yards tweaks) is not very important.

With some very low velocity cannons, the convergence distance also affects the aiming point in the up/down direction. Some people set the 262 guns (nose mounted, so no left/right issues) to a pair at max and a pair at min to create a shotgun pattern - in the case of the 30mm you only need to connect with a single hit, so maximizing the chance to hit may be more important than max damage.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 01:06:39 PM »
There is definitely a trade-off when opting for 'cross convergence' versus 'pinpoint' convergence. With the pinpoint option you are betting on hitting your target consistently at a specific range without it being a snap-shot or a strafe shot. If you can do that then all of your kills will be decisive and quick. And all of them will be at a specific range with a target that is most likely in your sites for more than a second. Cross convergence trades off surgical heavy-hitting at one specific range for area hitting at multiple ranges. Bear in mind that with pinpoint convergence you will most likely still not be hitting with all of your guns if you are forced to strafe-shoot or snap-shoot.

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
Brooke, there is no way the OP would have added that to the end of thread!

Its would be more like this..

"You'll get all of this information and more when you subscribe to the newsletter.  It's free to try out, and if at any point you are dissatisfied, just let us know, and we will refund your entire payment.  You've got nothing to lose and everything gain.  So what are you waiting for?  Sign up today!"  Big Grin
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.