Author Topic: Done with Nortons Antivirus.  (Read 1628 times)

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Done with Nortons Antivirus.
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »
So the gamer mode on ESET Smart Security 7 doesn't work?   It does and I rarely have to enable it when playing ANY GAME.   
I wasn't saying Gamer mode doesn't work. But your input raises a couple of further questions... How exactly does the gamer mode work? I have it on in Avast and it works, too. In my case it means that no pop-up messages are shown. It doesn't stop downloading signatures, though. It may even do some background scanning during gameplay, I don't know. Do you? Does Eset stop the Vulnerability Shield or Exploit Blocker in Gamer mode? I doubt. Besides, Eset Smart Security isn't an all-in-one in the measure like Norton 360. Based on the information given on Eset's site it seems to be just an anti-virus with a firewall, the functionality listed separately for marketing purposes.

Speaking about Norton360, it has all that and lots more. There's a built-in temporary files cleaner, a defragger, a backup reminder and what not. Back in the days of yore Norton had five different products for sale and back then they were superb compared to their Windows equivalents. Today they've packed all of them into a single package in the name of customer service and simplicity, causing people to go crazy with all the nagging about the computer being vulnerable because no backup has been configured etc. For a gamer it's even worse, the 360 seems to do all kinds of maintenance things every time it thinks the computer is idle - like during a bomb run...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I use ESET on my personal machines and my business machines. It definitely has the smallest footprint when compared to the bulky AV programs like Nortons.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »
I wasn't saying Gamer mode doesn't work. But your input raises a couple of further questions... How exactly does the gamer mode work? I have it on in Avast and it works, too. In my case it means that no pop-up messages are shown. It doesn't stop downloading signatures, though. It may even do some background scanning during gameplay, I don't know. Do you? Does Eset stop the Vulnerability Shield or Exploit Blocker in Gamer mode? I doubt. Besides, Eset Smart Security isn't an all-in-one in the measure like Norton 360. Based on the information given on Eset's site it seems to be just an anti-virus with a firewall, the functionality listed separately for marketing purposes.

Can't speak about Eset security Suite, but Eset AV (NOD32) suppresses all notifications and scheduled tasks (updates, scans, etc) in gamer mode. It's also very light on memory and CPU. 90MB for Eset service and another 10MB for GUI.
Also, you can configure it to go into gamer mode automatically when application is in full screen mode.

I prefer to mix and match rather than go for full suites.
Eset NOD32 + Outpost Pro Firewall is a combo which works very well (resources and compatibility) and both have configuration options to please the newbies and geeks alike.

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »
Eset NOD32 + Outpost Pro Firewall is a combo which works very well (resources and compatibility) and both have configuration options to please the newbies and geeks alike.

this can work with Win 7?
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 06:55:21 AM »
From all the various complaints we get to deal with, Avast, AVG, Norton, McAfee are the worst of the lot, in terms of impacting games.  ESET has consistently been the best.
Skuzzy, what complaints have you gotten regarding AVG?  I use it and haven't noticed an issue, I will say though that I may not know that I am :)
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »
Idk, I've used Avast forever and have never had an issue (that I know of) :aok

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID