Author Topic: Father in law and Mother in laws Brother  (Read 354 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Father in law and Mother in laws Brother
« on: December 16, 2013, 09:22:18 PM »
 Every 6 months or so I look up information on my father in laws WWII service and for information on my mother in laws brother.

It is amazing how more and more information is becoming available for both

Father in laws ship CL-65 USS Pasadena
Found an online copy of the ships WWII Cruise book
http://digicom.bpl.lib.me.us/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1177&context=ww_reg_his

And a CD version that can be ordered previewed here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUM5q52I6Qs

In this book there is mention of an attempted Kamakazi attack on the ship. and also the loss of  crew members 2 in plane and one on ship. And of burials at sea
I witnessed my father in law zone out for 15 full minutes on my front lawn complete with 1000 mile stare as he recounted, and relived the events.
The man killed was right next to him when it happened they had actually swapped places just minutes before. Then as he broke out of the zone wiping tears from his eyes he said "and the next day. we whoosh(lifting his arms). sent em overboard"

Also found this on my mother in laws brother. (A Tail gunner on a B17) Contains a partial first hand account of what happened. Which is as follows

"I was flying with Captain Hecker and Major Fitzgerald in the lead ship of the second high squadron as Tail Gunner (Observer) when in the middle of our attacks several FW 190´s attacked Lt. Downey, who was flying B-17G A/C 42-31533, and cannon fire perforated the vertical stabilizer. After a little while, Lt Downey put down his bomb bay doors and landing gear, and side-slipped to the left. He was flying on our left wing and as he pulled out of formation he was jumped by more FW 190´s. When I last sighted Lt Downey´s ship it was losing altitude fast and droppig out of formation.
Statement from S/Sgt Ralph R. Rosato.
Joseph was found dead in the plane. He was initially buried in Daspe, on 26 February 1944."

http://www.adoptiegraven-database.nl/index.php/margraten/american-war-cemetery-margraten-s/7692-sorbino-joseph-g

Sadly we lost both within the last few years. I found this video not 2 days before my father in laws death. Unfortunately he never got to see it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IDV_Yn8qcg

They were always thrilled whenever I found out more info on either. Now I simply pass on the info I find to the rest of the family who have learned more about their fathers personal wartime experiences from me then he ever told them. For whatever reason he felt at ease telling me things he never could to them
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: Father in law and Mother in laws Brother
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:03:49 AM »

:salute To their service.

The horrors some Servicemen experienced were hard to relive for sure. You must of had a good relationship for him to open up to you about it.

By the looks of the film we need more CV ack.   :devil

I will never know the service of my one Grandfather as he was on the German side. Being a local politician in wartime Germany he fell out of favor perhaps and was sent to the Russian front where many were never heard from again.  :pray

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Father in law and Mother in laws Brother
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »
  :salute

Huge salute
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba