Author Topic: A "Busy" Wish  (Read 1600 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: A "Busy" Wish
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
that is wrong. unless your compass is actually 15 degrees off.

:airplane: Your compass in the aircraft is NOT compensated for magnetic variation. You have to apply the variation mentally to know what correct magnetic bearing to fly. That is why the maps have the lines of variation on them, so that a pilot can apply the correction to his compass while flying.
If you are thinking that your compass automatically compensates for variation, sir, you are incorrect. You, the pilot have to apply the variation to fly the correct course desired.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »
You surely won't be flying a precision approach with an app unless you have hardware interfaced that can "read" the ILS and other signals.

The amount of lawyering and the approval process of such hardware would be a huge undertaking so expect something as mentioned above to cost a few thousand dollars.

Also....I'm not so sure that you can't fool the gyroscope/acclerometer combo. in current devices by pulling Gs while in any position other than upright......which is how some pilots who can't read instruments are also fooled into thinking that they are upright in IMC when they are actually nowhere near upright.
:airplane: I have never used anything like what we are discussing, but I do know that your Ipad, with the proper app, can interp the GPS system infor and the app super=imposes a small aircraft on the app, which represents your position. I can see where it would be of assistance in lining up with the correct runway, and with the correct soft ware program, don't see why it couldn't pickup glide-slope and localizer signal.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
:airplane: Your compass in the aircraft is NOT compensated for magnetic variation. You have to apply the variation mentally to know what correct magnetic bearing to fly. That is why the maps have the lines of variation on them, so that a pilot can apply the correction to his compass while flying.
If you are thinking that your compass automatically compensates for variation, sir, you are incorrect. You, the pilot have to apply the variation to fly the correct course desired.

I'm not saying the compass compensates for it, i'm saying it doesn't matter at all when you're being vectored.

when atc tells you to fly 090, they mean magnetic 090. not true 090, or a fly a ground track of 090.

from the faao 7110.65:

5-6-2. METHODS 

a. Vector aircraft by specifying: 

1. Direction of turn, if appropriate, and magnetic heading to be flown, or 

PHRASEOLOGY-
 TURN LEFT/RIGHT HEADING (degrees).

FLY HEADING (degrees).

FLY PRESENT HEADING.

DEPART (fix) HEADING (degrees).
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 08:13:13 AM »
I'm not saying the compass compensates for it, i'm saying it doesn't matter at all when you're being vectored.

when atc tells you to fly 090, they mean magnetic 090. not true 090, or a fly a ground track of 090.

from the faao 7110.65:

:airplane: The FAA OCB, which all operators have to know and are tested on before certification as air traffic controller, does not specify only what TRACK he or she wants you to make over the ground or radar screen! Pilots, In order to do that, must mentally apply the variation in that area.
Some aircraft have "adjustable" compasses, which the pilot can apply the variation as he or she flys over the country and then they don't have to make mental calulations as to proper headings to comply with ATC instructions.

How to compensate for magnetic declination when reading a compass. In this example, the declination is 14°E (+14°), so the compass card points to a "north" 14 degrees to the East of true North. To obtain a true bearing, add 14 degrees to the bearing shown by the compass. The operator is only concerned with the bearing that you are from the radar site and which bearing he or she wants you to fly to comply with their instructions.
Hope this clears this up for you sir, I appreciate your reply!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:28:52 AM by earl1937 »

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 09:02:06 AM »
:airplane: The FAA OCB, which all operators have to know and are tested on before certification as air traffic controller,

what is the OCB? I've never heard of it and either has google, apparently.

ATC goes by FAAO 7110.65U now.

This is it, and it's current:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ATC/INDEX.HTM

as I had quoted it earlier, they give magnetic headings when vectoring. so you're plainly incorrect, sir.

if a radar vector was an instruction to fly a ground track, they'd expect you to compensate for winds aloft too. which we both know they don't.  

again. notice it doesn't say "ground track to be flown" or "true heading to be flown"

5-6-2. METHODS  

a. Vector aircraft by specifying:  1. Direction of turn, if appropriate, and magnetic heading  to be flown, or  

PHRASEOLOGY-
 TURN LEFT/RIGHT HEADING (degrees).

FLY HEADING (degrees).

FLY PRESENT HEADING.

DEPART (fix) HEADING (degrees).

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2013, 12:25:11 AM »
:airplane: Well, since no one has anything else to do, try a little education! Describe "Magnetic Lines of Variation" and what effect does this have at AH headquarters in Texas?

:aok  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:38:35 AM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 07:51:38 AM »
what is the OCB? I've never heard of it and either has google, apparently.

ATC goes by FAAO 7110.65U now.

This is it, and it's current:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ATC/INDEX.HTM

as I had quoted it earlier, they give magnetic headings when vectoring. so you're plainly incorrect, sir.

if a radar vector was an instruction to fly a ground track, they'd expect you to compensate for winds aloft too. which we both know they don't.  

again. notice it doesn't say "ground track to be flown" or "true heading to be flown"

:airplane: "Operators Code Book" and it could be called something else today, but was kept by the radar operators side at all times when on duty. And No Sir, I am not wrong!

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 01:50:42 AM »
You're wrong.

I really didn't want to be harsh about it, but yes. You're wrong, and are just being stubborn. 22k hours doesn't give you your own reality.

in the future, do not ask quiz questions you do not know/remember the actual answers to.

:neener:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:52:22 AM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
forget it
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.