Author Topic: I'm so flying that Yak!!!!  (Read 8199 times)

Offline JohnnyHeelz

• Zinc Member
Re: I'm so flying that Yak!!!!
« Reply #240 on: July 17, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
That quote is as old as you being on the forums.......  It was also wayyyy before a B29 ever existed. 

They need to take out the bit about the Ta-152, since it's no longer perked.

The thing about the 152 and Spitfire Mk. XIV is that while they are absolutely outstanding aircraft, few people have the patience to learn to use them properly.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #241 on: July 17, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
I've seen the 152 being flown outstandingly before. 

That just means a good pilot, give the same pilot a 190D9 or similar but better plane and he can do much better in it.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »
That just means a good pilot, give the same pilot a 190D9 or similar but better plane and he can do much better in it.

I've always felt the D9 sucks. The ONLY thing it has going for it that I can't get in another 190 is speed, and you trade off maneuverability. In general, I feel like its just inferior in AH combat, regardless of its historical success or advantages.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »
Wait a minute -- the P-40E isn't perked?!  Scandalous!

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #244 on: July 17, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
Well I have to say the Yak-3 is actually better than I thought it would be and I thought it would be damn fine. What a great little ride. Nice to see we can load a 20mm in the Yak-9T as well. The Yak-7B isn't bad...but it's not a LWA ride...not bad though. An average decent plane for 1942.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #245 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:05 PM »
I've always felt the D9 sucks. The ONLY thing it has going for it that I can't get in another 190 is speed, and you trade off maneuverability. In general, I feel like its just inferior in AH combat, regardless of its historical success or advantages.
Speed is negligible in BnZ tactics?  Not only in general but especially compared to the 152 whose main flaw is lack of briskness in all axes and acceleration.

Maybe answer in a new thread.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #246 on: July 18, 2013, 12:33:57 AM »
Speed is negligible in BnZ tactics?  Not only in general but especially compared to the 152 whose main flaw is lack of briskness in all axes and acceleration.

Maybe answer in a new thread.

Top end speed can be made up for with altitude. The D9 diving on you may actually be LESS dangerous than the A5 or A8, simply because hes going to be lighter armed. Besides that,  if things slow down, the D9 is possibly the 2nd worst 190 you can be in, beaten out only by the 190F8.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #247 on: July 18, 2013, 01:17:59 AM »
No, that's not how the D9 works.  It can pressure an opponent better and faster than the A5 and A8.
The A5, D9, 152, are all in a class of their own compared to the A8 and F8 for slower fight..  Each of the three have their own means to, all things considered, be arguably just as good a 190 to survive with.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #248 on: July 18, 2013, 02:05:59 AM »
190D is one of those planes that's easy to fly (all x/y/z controls feels harmonized) but dang impossible to do 1-on-1 dogfight in.

I think i've heard an axiom somewhere when it comes to fighter aircraft(forgot the exact quote) but it basically comes down to this:

1.  stable plane/platform =  less 'manuverable' (in a 'TnB' sense)
2.  plane that's inherently unstable = manuverable (in a 'TnB' sense)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2013, 07:41:44 AM »
The D9 diving on you may actually be LESS dangerous than the A5 or A8, simply because hes going to be lighter armed. Besides that,  if things slow down, the D9 is possibly the 2nd worst 190 you can be in, beaten out only by the 190F8.
The D9 is less dangerous because it is just that more likely that the pilot is clueless. For the same reasons, the most dangerous P47 is the D11 and the most dangerous 109 is the F4/G2. When you meet one it is very likely to be flown by a pilot well above average.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »
Definitely had fun trying out the other Yaks.. and dying quite well in them.  :D Did snag a couple kills in my tater-gun 9T last night. Satisfying watching that 37mm rip the back half off of a Typhoon as I pulled up to his belly.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"