Author Topic: Bring on the Hos  (Read 8906 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Bring on the Hos
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »
Aha! But they are always head on, just not necessarily precisely head on.

Actually, there are advantageous and disadvantageous merges. If someone bounces you
from above it is still a merge (as it would be if you did the bouncing). You can high side
approach. You can even close on a six. In a duel, there is an arranged neutral merge.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »
*edit* friggin Arlo faster on the draw than me again...

Actually, there are advantageous and disadvantageous merges. If someone bounces you
from above it is still a merge (as it would be if you did the bouncing). You can high side
approach. You can even close on a six. In a duel, there is an arranged neutral merge.
true...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
if the sphincter that jumped into the fray is the one that is shooting you in the face right off the bat without any attempt to get a different firing solution, then yes.

I will admit on occasion I've been that sphincter.  It's not my preferred way of fighting, but when they're taking too long playing with their food, sometimes I choose to give them a hand.  The thing is, as I stated, what can start out as a rear attack can change aspects many times on the way down.  Yes, sometimes when I've done this I was coming in from ridiculous alt too...  I am a bad bad man. ;)  In my defense, I usually only do something like this lately when defending a goon or something along those lines.

The point is, you can either choose to abort the shot, or take it and possibly put down the bandit.  The way they're facing at this point is pretty much pointless IMO.

Think of head-on attacks as jousting. Two knights (so to speak) sinking spurs and aiming their lances at each others chest.

In your first example you are describing someone avoiding or attempting to avoid a head-on attack. So we have one pilot attempting and one avoiding. At that point, there's no joust. If the attacker presses and manages to hit, it's a failed maneuver on the defenders part. The key word is defender. That pilot went on the defensive. A head-on attack (joust) involves no defensive technique applied.

But the guy that takes the shot is still carrying through on his HO, regardless of what the other pilot is doing.  You're technically correct, which some say is the best kind of correct, but I still consider it a HO if a guy comes in front quarter guns blazing with no thought for any other kind of set up.  If the second pilot had cooperated, it would have been a ho.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »

But the guy that takes the shot is still carrying through on his HO, regardless of what the other pilot is doing.  You're technically correct, which some say is the best kind of correct, but I still consider it a HO if a guy comes in front quarter guns blazing with no thought for any other kind of set up.  If the second pilot had cooperated, it would have been a ho.

I consider it an attempted ho, myself. It also makes me smile. Sometimes laugh. I lost an elevator
on my I-16 after the 12th attempted HO on me (actually from behind by his wingman) in the 2nd
frame of Typhoon. That made me stop laughing for a little bit.  :D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
*edit* friggin Arlo faster on the draw than me again...
true...

Posting too much and flying too little. Yeah, I admit it.  :(

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
I consider it an attempted ho, myself. It also makes me smile. Sometimes laugh. I lost an elevator
on my I-16 after the 12th attempted HO on me (actually from behind by his wingman) in the 2nd
frame of Typhoon. That made me stop laughing for a little bit.  :D

By your definition, for it to be an actual 'HO' both pilots have committed to it.  Nobody's got any legitimate reason to complain if he's chosen to put his pipper on the dead 12 of an incoming aircraft.  It seems to me the only thing worth talking about is 'attempted ho's'.

Then you've got some people who call it a HO if you fire at them from in front of the 3-9 line on their plane, and that makes me laugh even harder.

To me, it's mostly about the approach.  If you're coming in from say, between 11-1 o'clock of the enemy plane who isn't maneuvering hard, from 1500-2000 yards out or further, guns blazing, that's an attempted HO.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Sorry, the onus is on you to be there for your own parties
and make all the arrangements, doilies or whatever.  ;)

You claimed to be online. This is the second attempt made
to give you a chance to prove your supposed point. We're
having a serious discussion here. If you're up to it, participate.

:D

:rofl Right, and I'm supposed to magically know your IGN? How bout you show them the chat log? Oh wait, what chat log? No words were even spoken between us.

I'll spare some of my time with people like you for the sake of the argument. 2:46 EST, you're not on by 3 EST, I'm not waiting around any longer.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:47:29 PM by titanic3 »

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »
:rofl Right, and I'm supposed to magically know your IGN? How bout you show them the chat log? Oh wait, what chat log? No words were even spoken between us.

I'll spare some of my time with people like you for the sake of the argument. 2:46 EST, you're not on by 3 EST, I'm not waiting around any longer.

Your time? Your needs.  ;)

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »
Let me know when the definition of "HO" is settled.

**Takes deep breath and holding...holding...***
AMAX  in game

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »

Sorry, the onus is on you to be there for your own parties
and make all the arrangements, doilies or whatever.  ;)

You claimed to be online. This is the second attempt made
to give you a chance to prove your supposed point. We're
having a serious discussion here. If you're up to it, participate.

:D

He was online this morning, he doesn't have a star by his name for his name to appear near the other "T" names. He landed 8 in P51 and shortly after headed over to the DA with some squaddies I asked him to train. Maybe you should look a bit harder next time or even for that matter ".f TitanMD" works really well.

He is on my squad roster, he was online this morning.
Top Gun

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
When people avoid the HO(especially early on) the present themselves as a tasty target :old: :bolt:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »
Well well .... Titan is a pretty good HO. I admit. Still not concerned, though.  :D

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 02:16:42 PM »
I just think the term is Head On, not Pipper On. At the end of the day a ghey shot is a ghey shot and everyone knows it.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »
When people avoid the HO(especially early on) the present themselves as a tasty target :old: :bolt:

Now THAT's an interesting conversation.  What is it about avoiding the HO that makes you more vulnerable after the merge?  If I'm engaging, it's generally given me a window into a lead turn that I feel pretty decent about.

Wiley.

JG11